Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to improve security for the front storage compartment on 5th wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to improve security for the front storage compartment on 5th wheels?

My front storage compartment has a single inexpensive/flimsy lock in the center of the door. The left and right sides of the door have simple non-locking latches. Is there any way to make these latches/locks more secure? I think anybody with a screwdriver could pop the door open.

I've done some searching and found keyless locks but the mechanism looks similar to OEM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    My front storage compartment has a single inexpensive/flimsy lock in the center of the door. The left and right sides of the door have simple non-locking latches. Is there any way to make these latches/locks more secure? I think anybody with a screwdriver could pop the door open.

I've done some searching and found keyless locks but the mechanism looks similar to OEM.
    I think howson replaced his with latches similar to the rest of the compartments.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

You could pry the door open easily with any lock. The door is as weak or weaker than the lock or latches.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

bertschb found it:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-baggage-door
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Thanks for the link. I remember seeing Howards mod. The keyless function would be cool but I think the latch itself isn't any more secure. Jkwilson - I think you may be right about the flimsy door being the weak link.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

The reason I'm asking is because I'm putting my batteries and solar gear in that front compartment. It's easy pickings. I think what I'll do is screw my new Battleborn BBGC3 batteries to the floor with multiple screws. That would at least slow a thief down. I don't think a thief would care about the inverter/charge controller/Cerbo, etc.
            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Unfortunately the slam latches are about the least secure device out there when the plunder is exposed as in baggage doors. The latch plunger is exposed and extremely easily circumvented with a pocket knife or other similar object by lifting the plunger. They work on entry doors because there is a lip around the door hiding the plunger.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

bertschb Brian,

Putting a panel in front of those items may be the best bet. Otherwise if you have internet at all times there are low cost security systems such as Simplisafe that could alert you if an intruder gains access to your rig.

Jim

Comment

bertschb Ah gotcha. I thought you were looking to get away from the standard key all the rigs have got that compartment. You might also use an odd screw with a non common head, like a security screw or something. Those bits are commonly available but they would have to have one. I’ve never had acting stolen from a site, and I don’t store mine in a storage lot or I’d be more concerned I guess. I actually leave my bay open if we’re boondocking to let it vent a little better.

Neil Citro

Comment

I replaced all of my standard CH751 locks that most people have a key for with barrel locks that I bought from https://shoprvlocks.com/ It doesn't make the doors any more secure but at least I'm certain everyone in the campground don't have a key that work in my locks.
                    2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
                    2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

bertschb

If you are looking for a bit more security, you may try replacing the 2 outer thumb latches with cam locks and then putting one of the thumb locks in the center. This will at least help by minimizing the area they have to pry against. You may also want to look at making the arm of the cam lock a bit stronger and longer and reinforce the back side of the door with some thin plate.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

SLAM LATCHES ARE NOT SECURE! But they are cool! As stated by Jlawles2 they can be opened with a pocket knife. I have a slam latch that opens when pulled when it is locked. Still have to fix that.

As someone else has stated - locks keep the tempted honest. (?) Anyone with the desire and the right tools can break into anything on an RV.
                        Mike & Lisa
                        Central Florida
                        2021 Imagine 2970RL
                        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

On other thing to look into. Find a good sheet metal shop and fabricator and see if they can add a backing panel to the door (steel/aluminum). They may need to through bolt it, but decorative hardware is available. With the backing plate they can better attach standard security hardware - even dead bolts that might connect to hardware installed on the door frame inner surface.

Hope this helps.
                          Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            Find a good sheet metal shop and fabricator and see if they can add a backing panel to the door (steel/aluminum).
                            Good idea! Thanks
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I ended up using the holes in the feet of the new BattleBorn BBGC3 batteries to screw the batteries to the floor of the front compartment. I used six screws per battery. Somebody would need to bring tools with them to remove the batteries and it would take them a while to do it so I'm no longer worried about thieves.
                              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Working...
                              X