Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to improve security for the front storage compartment on 5th wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    bertschb

If you are looking for a bit more security, you may try replacing the 2 outer thumb latches with cam locks and then putting one of the thumb locks in the center. This will at least help by minimizing the area they have to pry against. You may also want to look at making the arm of the cam lock a bit stronger and longer and reinforce the back side of the door with some thin plate.
    Exactly what I did with our 337RLS. I had all locks keyed-alike to entry door.
    Bob P.
    2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
    2020 337RLS
    VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
      I replaced all of my standard CH751 locks that most people have a key for with barrel locks
      When I misplaced my CH751 key I only had to go down two sites to get a key that would work for my trailer. So it can be a positive. lol

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

CH751 and couple of other numbers like CH502 are the same, just sold to different people I think. My toolbox keys (CH501 and CH502) open some camper cam locks.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

My thought process is anyone that wants to get into a compartment on a trailer is likely going to get in. The question is can they do it without being noticed. I would suggest installing a door sensor with audible alarm similar to a car alarm. That would likely scare off most intruders as that is not something they would expect to find on a trailer. Here is just one of dozens of types that you can find on Amazon with a quick search.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078B7LBSG?pd_rd_i=B078B7LBSG&pd_rd_w=zyJ6e&pf_rd_ p=ee186ce0-6bf7-4893-85b9-f3368b019e0f&pd_rd_wg=E6OzG&pf_rd_r=KNXS8FEQBQ4CBG 6BEQ34&pd_rd_r=5d4354a7-0b8b-43b0-92ee-a05b8152ee0a

Video showing different modes:
          https://d2y5sgsy8bbmb8.cloudfront.ne...793-rpcbe5.mp4

Click image for larger version  Name:	Xnip2021-04-05_17-13-39.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	49190
          Jeff and Debbie
          2021 Imagine 2250RK
          2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
          USMC Veteran

Comment

I just had a thought on another solution. I once had a bed tool box that was a pain to use. You had to twist a center handle in the center to unlock it. It had a cam action that pulled the bolt rod back to uncouple the ends. It was very strong. It was similar to this for a garage door. https://ddmgaragedoors.com/parts/locks_handles.html If you can find the right model and trim the length down it might work well. As all my Victron stuff will be in the front compartment I am following this and looking too.I wish I knew the name of the cam lock type I am looking for or the brand of the tool box I had - in the mid 70's.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              I just had a thought on another solution. I once had a bed tool box that was a pain to use. You had to twist a center handle in the center to unlock it. It had a cam action that pulled the bolt rod back to uncouple the ends. It was very strong. It was similar to this for a garage door. https://ddmgaragedoors.com/parts/locks_handles.html If you can find the right model and trim the length down it might work well. As all my Victron stuff will be in the front compartment I am following this and looking too.I wish I knew the name of the cam lock type I am looking for or the brand of the tool box I had - in the mid 70's.
              Seek and ye shall find......
              T-Handle Latch with Link Rods - Flush Mount Polar Hardware Accessories and Parts PLR5730 (etrailer.com)

That will be 29.95 finders fee please...

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cate&Rob ata-cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid5" style="background-image: url("https://gdrvowners.com/core/image.php?userid=5&thumb=1&dateline=1558712451");" >Cate&Rob ata-cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid5" style="background-image: url("https://gdrvowners.com/core/image.php?userid=5&thumb=1&dateline=1558712451");" >Cate&Rob TE=Country Campers;n49200]

Seek and ye shall find......
                T-Handle Latch with Link Rods - Flush Mount Polar Hardware Accessories and Parts PLR5730 (etrailer.com)

That will be 29.95 finders fee please...

Brian[/QUOTE]
                howson TucsonJim @Cate&Rob

Brian your getting as bad has Howard, Jim, and original Rob at spending my money. Were getting close. The tool box I had had beveled dead bolt latches at either end. Kind of like a door latch that were spring loaded to allow the door to close and latch However your information has allowed me to expand my searching. Tell you what I'll pay up when we meet on the road, or if you ever in Durango a free level place to park.

On edit. I sure must of hit the wrong button somewhere the way the post quote went. How did the Cate&Rob tag get up in the quote?????
                Last edited by Yoda; 04-05-2021, 08:06 PM.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Something like these at the ends of the rods would increase security 10 fold. https://www.caterdepot.com/H07ZN_p/h07nx.htm
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                    Cate&Rob ata-cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid5" style="background-image: url("https://gdrvowners.com/core/image.php?userid=5&thumb=1&dateline=1558712451");" >Cate&Rob ata-cke-saved-href="#" href="#" class="b-bbcode-user b-bbcode-user--has-avatar js-bbcode-user js-bbcode-user--userid5" style="background-image: url("https://gdrvowners.com/core/image.php?userid=5&thumb=1&dateline=1558712451");" >Cate&Rob TE=Country Campers;n49200]

Hi Keith,
                    I’m not sure what you message to me is trying to say .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

OK I am finding the ends that I remember. Now to see if I can find a complete lock and restricting ends (so door can be busted in through the frame lip.
                      https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygcegUIARCCBA
                      found here http://www.westonbodyhardware.com/ou...tches-catches/
                      Another example but bolts don't extend far enough.
                      https://www.amazon.com/Sydien-Stainl...669578&sr=8-41

Well back to looking
                      Keith
                      Last edited by Yoda; 04-05-2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Keith,
                        I’m not sure what you message to me is trying to say .

Rob
                        LOL - Thanks for making me laugh tonight - I needed that

Comment

It may be cheaper to replace some stolen items than to repair the rig from the re-enforced door and side wall being destroyed from an intruder. My LiFeP04 battery is inside the pass-through in the original battery box. I could see some petty theft but without someone knowing the LiFeP04 battery is in there, I would be surprised if someone would take the time to get it out while not knowing its there in the first place.

Jim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                            It may be cheaper to replace some stolen items than to repair the rig from the re-enforced door and side wall being destroyed from an intruder. My LiFeP04 battery is inside the pass-through in the original battery box. I could see some petty theft but without someone knowing the LiFeP04 battery is in there, I would be surprised if someone would take the time to get it out while not knowing its there in the first place.

Jim
                            This is my thinking. Granted I do not store it in a storage lot, that might be different, but the only time mine is really out of sight is when we are out touring while it is in a campground. I refuse to think someone would have the tools needed to get my equipment out of my front bay, and no one in the campground would say something.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Unless you back up the entire door with a sheet of metal, fancy locks are not going to do much. The door is two sheets of 1/16” plastic with a foam core. The hinges could be popped with a screwdriver. I do like the alarm idea. Making a lot of unexpected noise could be the best deterrent. It would be even better if the alarm could be triggered before a break-in was attempted.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                                Unless you back up the entire door with a sheet of metal, fancy locks are not going to do much. The door is two sheets of 1/16” plastic with a foam core. The hinges could be popped with a screwdriver. I do like the alarm idea. Making a lot of unexpected noise could be the best deterrent. It would be even better if the alarm could be triggered before a break-in was attempted.

Rob
                                I am giving up of the cam action locks, either for tool boxes or Truck topper rear doors. Too much modification needed. I'm going to look into the door backing plate and replacement locks with different keys than 100000 other folks have and make all there front latches lockable. Is this a good source for the locks https://www.rvlock.com or are their others. I'm concerned about the Lock length not fitting as the reviews mention. Question - can the stock locks be re-keyed?

On edit - This place appear to be able to key locks to the door key and other good stuff. https://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
                                Good selection with various lengths. Anyone get locks from them?
                                Last edited by Yoda; 04-06-2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X