Alpha Systems Self Leveling Lap Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Systems Self Leveling Lap Sealant

I bought a tube of the Alpha Systems Self Leveling Lap Sealant to take care of a few spots on my roof that appear they could be problematic in the future if I don't take care of it and the instructions on the tube say it takes 1 week to cure. Does anyone know how long it takes to skin over enough that if it rained it wouldn't be an issue? There wasn't any information on that.
    2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I am not sure about the aftermarket compound but at the factory a fresh built RV is outside about 20 minutes after the roof is sealed , rain or shine. I am guessing it skins pretty quickly for them to do this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did some work on mine a few weeks ago, it skinned over pretty quick, but was still really malleable for three or four days. I’d wait the week to get it wet.

Edit: I stand corrected, maybe the skin is enough.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

To add to my post and Neil's recommendation I also would wait until I had at least the day to allow to dry and if I could a week of dry weather would be great. Just because the factory does it does not mean it is the best process. I know my luck if I tried it and it got wet in 1 hour it would all wash off.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Living in the Northeast and it being late March, a week of dry weather isn't going to happen. It looks like Saturday I'll have a partly sunny day with a high of around 63 so I'll have to hope for the best. I don't have a lot of area I need to touch up but I don't want to make a mess either.

Comment

Yeah I was lucky enough to have done it inside, but had a departure for a trip staring me down. Fortunately there was no rain in my forecast. I will say I was shocked how long it took to firm up. The roof material actually bubbled up off of the plywood roof, and that took two days to settle back down, and like I said it was most of the week to get to anything close to "firm". I know it stays pretty rubbery pretty much forever, but it was almost runny for a long time. I just did a small area as well for a wi-fi antenna I installed, but I used most of the tube since I did not need it for anything else. I expected it to spread out more than it did, and I have since read that Dicor is much more fluid, it could be thats part of why it takes so long to dry. You might want to use Dicor if it has a shorter curing time?
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

RobWNY

Calls for a “test”. Run a bead on a piece of wood. Let it dry until it feels skinned over. Sprinkle it with water and see what happens.
              BTW . . . please take pictures and tell us how this goes . . . good information to have.

(another) Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was going to use Dicor but I read a few posts about how Dicor and the Alpha Systems TPO roof don't always play well together so I bought the Alpha Systems stuff. Somewhere I read that Dicor has a tendency to bubble up on the TPO roofs. I have no personal knowledge but I have read that that is sometimes the case.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
                  I was going to use Dicor but I read a few posts about how Dicor and the Alpha Systems TPO roof don't always play well together so I bought the Alpha Systems stuff. Somewhere I read that Dicor has a tendency to bubble up on the TPO roofs. I have no personal knowledge but I have read that that is sometimes the case.
                  I can tell you I used Dicor when I did my solar install a couple years ago and it bubbled up the roof, but when I used the Alpha Systems it did the same thing. My roof is TPO, and I can say once they dried both look the same.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    RobWNY

Calls for a “test”. Run a bead on a piece of wood. Let it dry until it feels skinned over. Sprinkle it with water and see what happens.
                    BTW . . . please take pictures and tell us how this goes . . . good information to have.

(another) Rob
                    No promises on the pictures Rob. I'm not as sure of myself on the roof as I used to be and where I'll be using the sealant is where the roof meets the nose cap. It slopes down there and I always feel like I'm going to slide off the front of the camper when I get close to the edge like that. I have two spots where the roof and the factory sealant have created areas where water pools. I'm not comfortable leaving water sit there for who knows how long so I'm filling in those "divots". I also have one area on the side of the bathroom skylight that the screws are sticking up almost breaking through the manufacturer applied sealant so I'll be adding more there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I can tell you I used Dicor when I did my solar install a couple years ago and it bubbled up the roof, but when I used the Alpha Systems it did the same thing. My roof is TPO, and I can say once they dried both look the same.
                      That's good to know for the future. The Alpha Systems sealant was $18 where the Dicor would have been $11

Comment

Working...
                      X