Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these drain holes or should I seal them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these drain holes or should I seal them?

It's difficult to notice in the picture but where I have the arrow pointing in the photo I noticed these holes that are shaped like half circles. There's one on each side where the nose cap is attached to the rest of the RV. Are these to allow water from interior condensation that may form to drain or were they just never sealed and need to be filled? If they are to remain open, it seems like a prime location for bees to make a nest. There wasn't anything like this on my previous 5th wheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap4.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	47582
    2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
    It's difficult to notice in the picture but where I have the arrow pointing in the photo I noticed these holes that are shaped like half circles. There's one on each side where the nose cap is attached to the rest of the RV. Are these to allow water from interior condensation that may form to drain or were they just never sealed and need to be filled? If they are to remain open, it seems like a prime location for bees to make a nest. There wasn't anything like this on my previous 5th wheel.

Name:	Snap4.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	47582
    I believe you’re exactly right. I recall this being discussed before, I remember they said they’re for drainage.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you Neil. I did find the other thread you mentioned. It sounds like they are supposed to be there.

Comment

Its hard to see in the picture, but ai think on the left side in the channel is the vynil insert with silicone where it was in that hole before. The vynil insert on my previous 2 units seemed to shrink a bit over time pulling out of the ends like that.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2, I went out and looked again. That glob of silicone you see in the picture is supposed to be there. It covers a screw and is present on both sides of the RV.

Comment

RobWNY I went out and looked at the cap on my 303. the vinyl insert runs into the corner piece, is siliconed in place, and there is a single round 1/16" or so drain hole in the bottom. I marked what looks like the end of the insert in red in your picture and where it goes in to the similar piece on my camper. My previous camper had the insert running into the corner piece the same way as in my picture. And the blue circle you are saying is covering a screw??? The shape of the clear silicone makes it look like it should be shoved in the hole and seal around the perimeter. The vinyl trim is used to cover the screws in the track and has a single screw in the end sometimes with a decorative trim piece.

Yours:

Name:	Rob.PNG
Views:	386
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	47622

Mine:

Name:	Mine.PNG
Views:	413
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	47621
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I see now what you were saying. You're absolutely right. I'm missing about 1.5" of bulb seal on both sides that I outlined in Blue from your photo. I'm going to buy a tube of black silicone caulk and fill the holes on both sides. There is a screw that I'll leave exposed in case it ever needs to be removed. No one would normally see that the bulb is missing so the important thing will be to fill the holes because I do have the small weep holes (see arrow).

Name:	7423.png
Views:	411
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	47645

Comment

RobWNY Don't laugh, but on the last unit the stuff was so cheap it shrunk, then split back several inches on the end in 6 months of ownership. SO, I kept a roll of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in the door of the truck and would replace ever time I found one that was short like yours. I even left them several inches long so they could shrink in and then added the trim caps where they were missing. https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Traile...YZDNGXWHGE28EE

I also found this stuff to be helpful. https://www.amazon.com/DAP-18715-10-...31&sr=8-3&th=1 in black instead of white.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  RobWNY Don't laugh, but on the last unit the stuff was so cheap it shrunk, then split back several inches on the end in 6 months of ownership. SO, I kept a roll of this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in the door of the truck and would replace ever time I found one that was short like yours. I even left them several inches long so they could shrink in and then added the trim caps where they were missing. https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Traile...YZDNGXWHGE28EE

I also found this stuff to be helpful. https://www.amazon.com/DAP-18715-10-...31&sr=8-3&th=1 in black instead of white.
                  I wouldn't think about laughing. Nothing with RV's surprises me anymore. I appreciate all of your input. It's people like you that make this forum the best I've been a member of!

Comment

Working...
                  X