BBQ grill mount on exterior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ grill mount on exterior?

So I looked via the search process and did not find anything dealing with bbq's and such. I am interested to know if anyone has installed one of the exterior bbq brackets/mounts to their r.v. exterior wall. If you did what type brand did you use and what are everyones thoughts on doing this. Bad Idea? works great, never again, fire hazard, wouldn't leave home without it? We are looking at a Flame King BBQ that can mount to the exterior wall or stand on it's own, it looks O.K. Nearly time to travel and have come to really dislike the whole 1LB. bottle thing. Thanks for any input.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

I personally do not like to mount a fire box on the wall of the RV , just 2 cents on that.

You should have an exterior propane quick connect down on the frame rail on the door side of the RV , Guest Jim do you have one and where is it located?

With this connection you would not have to carry the 1# bottle you could utilize the 2 20# tanks that you are carrying on the tongue. This connection will already be regulated so you do not need a regulator on the connection line or at the grill you intend to use. If the grill already has a regulator you would have to remove.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I personally do not like to mount a fire box on the wall of the RV , just 2 cents on that.

You should have an exterior propane quick connect down on the frame rail on the door side of the RV , Guest Jim do you have one and where is it located?

With this connection you would not have to carry the 1# bottle you could utilize the 2 20# tanks that you are carrying on the tongue. This connection will already be regulated so you do not need a regulator on the connection line or at the grill you intend to use. If the grill already has a regulator you would have to remove.

Brian
      Brian,

I have a gas quick connection on the right side frame and just below where the furnace intake/exhaust exits outside.

Jim

Comment

Guest Country Campers , We have the quick connect just ahead of the axels. We were just wondering what others thought of the wall mounts for bbq's and any repercussions or real hazards. Would not argue with the potential hazard of a deliberate fire on the side of the r.v. but have talked with those that use them. This group seems reasonable and thoughtful so was looking for some input, already have a 12 foot hose for hook-up to provide space from unit if that tells you anything. As always I'm curious and have always been asked why I ask why all the time, that caused lots of problems as a child. However that kind of thinking served me well over 50 years in aviation and flying.

Thanks for your input,

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I agree with Brian, I never liked the idea of mounting one. Even if not a fire risk, I did not like the idea of the grease that close to the rig and under the awning. I carry a Blackstone griddle I plug into the rig, and if I want to grill I also carry a Green Mountain pellet grill that just needs 12v. I keep the Blackstone near to the rig, but the pellet grill lives off on the picnic table.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

X2. High heat and laminated foam core walls do not play well together.

Jim

Comment

O.K. The laminated wall could certainly be an issue and was not foremost in my mind, now it is. I have seen these products at several of the r.v. stores and online and recently saw one mounted on a very expensive class "A" down by the river. Think I will just continue on as I have with a portable that can plug into the rig. The pellet grills are interesting but I was concerned with 12 volt use over a prolonged period.

Thanks for the thoughts

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                O.K. The laminated wall could certainly be an issue and was not foremost in my mind, now it is. I have seen these products at several of the r.v. stores and online and recently saw one mounted on a very expensive class "A" down by the river. Think I will just continue on as I have with a portable that can plug into the rig. The pellet grills are interesting but I was concerned with 12 volt use over a prolonged period.

Thanks for the thoughts

Dave
                I love mine, and it does not use much power. The most is right at the beginning when lighting then it’s just intermittent use of the auger and fan, the fire is self sustaining. I boondock a lot and have no issue. It’s actually designed to be used off your vehicle power while tailgating, without killing your car battery.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro So you mentioned Green Mountain. Do you have the Daniel Boone or Davey Crocket or something bigger? Our son is a bit of an offcienado of the pellet grills and the grand kids love the ribs that come out. We have about 100 amps of service from our batteries and can put 7 amps an hour in from the suit case. Think that is enough to keep ahead of the grill for 5 or 6 hours. Those ribs would be great out in the woods.

Dave

Comment

flyfshrockies I would think for sure that would be enough. I have the Daniel Boone at home and a Davy Crockett I carry in the rig and if I’m going somewhere and need it. The DC is a bit more uneven than the bigger one, but better than nothing. I’ve done ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, and even full pork loin on it. I have to get creative for the size sometimes but it works. Nothing better than sitting by the fire while something is smoking. It’s also a great conversation starter at the site lol.

The heat all comes from the pellets, power is only used for the control board, pellet auger, and fan. The igniter is 100 watts, at 12v that’s8 amps. The average draw is 60 watts, that’s 5 amps at 12v. 5 Amps on your 100ah battery would be 20 hours (if that’s all you were using). The 7 amps from your solar would be more than the grill draws. You could also run it off a battery pack if you were really worried about it.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro O.K. that is certainly a doable amount of power consumption all I would need is to install a 12 volt receptacle in the passthrough, that should be simple enough. Now I am interested in the pellet grill but will need approval from the r.v. goodies finance department. I don't think I would use the truck to power the grill, having a dead battery in the woods would be bad form and the DW would be less than happy I think. We have seen at our sons house that the smell of smoked beast can call in the neighbors, the dogs, cats and kids. I'm sure a campground would be the same. For us the calling to smoke could well mean a visit from a Black or Grizzly bear but we have not had more than a look or two in the past and no returns at night, they do not seem to like the Aussie that does perimeter patrol. Thanks for the input.

Dave

Comment

flyfshrockies No problem. I put one of these in my outside kitchen:

Linkstyle 4 in 1 Charger Socket Panel, 12V 4.2A Dual USB Charger Socket Power Outlet & LED Voltmeter & Cigarette Lighter Socket & LED Lighted ON Off Rocker Toggle Switch for Car Marine Boat RV Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JHH5YP4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the wildlife, I know what you mean. I try to keep it clean but I know bears can smell it for miles. If I’m in an area that I know has a lot of bears I’ll put it back in the rear storage which has a gasket around it. It you took the chimney off (just three screws) it might fit in a bear box.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Thanks for the info on the 12v power center with voltmeter. I really liked the looks of that and it is on it's way. The bbq in the stored in the pass thorough has worked for years and will continue to do so. Now that I will have a reliable power source in the passthrough I will be able to use it for a little compressor I have that pulls 1.2 amps in use as well as the possible pellet grill. The biggest critter problems we have are Raccoons in camp at night. Again thanks.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                            ncitro Thanks for the info on the 12v power center with voltmeter. I really liked the looks of that and it is on it's way. The bbq in the stored in the pass thorough has worked for years and will continue to do so. Now that I will have a reliable power source in the passthrough I will be able to use it for a little compressor I have that pulls 1.2 amps in use as well as the possible pellet grill. The biggest critter problems we have are Raccoons in camp at night. Again thanks.

Dave
                            No problem. Most I have ever seen in my site is a raccoon as well. Hope to keep it that way. If you go with the grill I would get a 12v extension cable. Nice to be able to put it further from the rig sometimes.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                            X