Magnetic latches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic latches

This is on a 2021 303RLS. On the street side the basement door is a two door arrangement. The right side 1/2 door opens vertically and mates up with the corresponding magnet fine. The left 1/2 door opens horizontally. But before the door magnets can mate up, the latch handles from the propane access door get in the way.
    I would have to space out the magnet on the wall about 15mm in order for the magnets to contact each other.
    Did anybody come up with a fix/remedy for this?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

I just got my 2021 303rls 2 weeks ago and I have not experienced that issue works fine on my rig
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

can you post a few pictures showing the issue....this will help us visually understand your situation better.
      Jeff and Debbie
      2021 Imagine 2250RK
      2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
      USMC Veteran

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Just went out and looked at the street side forward door on my 303. The propane latches are close (like 3 mm).

Are both magnets the same thickness? remember the hinge is proud of the door frame which helps with the clearance.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

OK, here it is. Pic is taken from the front of the trailer. The magnet gap is apparent. You can also see how the propane door latches are preventing the door from swinging open any further to allow the magnets to contact each other.
          If yours is fine....what is the difference??

Comment

Don't ask me why 3 photos uploaded cuz I don't know....

I'll put this dude in a kilt here cuz I don't know what he's for either...lol

Ok, I fixed it, but I'm leaving the kilt guy here...lol
            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-30-2021, 05:17 PM.

Comment

My 2019 303 fits very well. I think my hinge may be mounted differently, so that it sits flat against the magnets when opened. Could the side of the hinge that is attached to the trailer wall be in too far?
              Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
              Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
              2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
              Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
              Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

I can't see the hinge on the side swing door, but it appears to be 2 pcs instead of one long one like mine.

One other thing I cannot tell is if the propane door is latched tightly. I rotated the cam plates on my latches so they are all horizontal (even the cam locks) for quick walk around look. If the Propane door is not latched with a little bit of compression against the seal my side swing door will hit the thumb latches. you might want to check the cam latch plates on the back side to see that they are properly seated and tight.
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I went out and checked.
                  The hinge is one piece and the propane door is latched tightly and the door face is flush with the wall.
                  The magnets themselves are each 15mm in height.
                  I wonder if the manual latches on the propane door are bigger or the magnets smaller? Everything looks fine but there must be a difference somewhere.
                  Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 03-31-2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I'll go out in a while and take some measurements (inches b/c i don't do well with reading a metric tape even though I work in metric all day). Ill start with the hinge and work out from there.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Just took lots of measurements and pictures. I'll hold off on the pics for now will need my computer vs work for uploading.

Propane latches stick out from propane door about 5/8" (16mm).
                      Hinge on side swing basement door is about 3/8" (10mm) overall.
                      Latch on wall is 9/16" (14mm) from wall
                      there is only 1-2mm clearance between propane thumb latch and side swing door.
                      CL of Magnets from non hinged edge of side swing door is 5" (127mm)
                      Door Magnet is 9/16" (14mm) thick
                      This puts the door 1-1/8" (28.5mm) from wall when open at the magnets.

I think placement of the magnets is critical. If they were farther from the edge it would be better, closer to edge is worse.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks Jlawles2, I'll go see how closely my trailer measures up to yours. And I agree with your magnet placement statement

Comment

Well measurements are pretty close. I think I found the reason. My door is bowed out in the middle.
                          Wonder if GD has a fix for this or will send me a new door?

Comment

Well I just had to go look. My door just kisses the propane latch wings, I too reoriented them to horizontal when latched, when the door magnet contacts the sidewall magnet. I agree that placing the magnet more towards the hinge would be better, but I'm not making any change.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                              Well measurements are pretty close. I think I found the reason. My door is bowed out in the middle.
                              Wonder if GD has a fix for this or will send me a new door?
                              That is a pretty big bow to that door. I would call GD and ask , never hurts. Have you vin ready and also send them the picture showing the bow.

Also is it bowed when open or is just bowed when shut and latched?

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X