Seal Maintance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal Maintance

Checking to see what everyone uses for the rubber seals to keep them soft and pliable. I see they sell RV seal lube but reading looks like just silicone spray to me. I was planning on getting just a good pure silicone spray. Also how often should I ably this throughout the year?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

I have not done any conditioning of my seals , just what I do. I have read using baby powder , slide seal conditioner , and silicone spray as you have noted. Whether I am right or wrong I am not sure but my seals are still in good shape.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Information from the seal manufacturers has varied over the years. From “do nothing”, to “use baby powder in a sock” to use “spray lubricants”. New seals have a “soapy” feel to them. I was told (several years ago by a seal manufacturer rep) that this is lubricant within the seal compound and that spray lubricants may leach this out of the rubber. I wash the seals when I wash the trailer, but do nothing more.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree that the seal lubricants seems to be very similar if not the same thing as spay silicon. I’ve noticed that if you don’t treat them with the lube or baby powder, they tend to stick to the sides of the slides and pull on them which with age may cause them to tear. That said, I keep mine lubed and everything seems to work nice and smooth.

Comment

Working...
        X