New Window Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Window Installation

We have a 2015 Reflection 303RLS. The 2015 model did not come with a kitchen window (over the range). Has anyone installed a new window?

Mike P

Welcome to our owners technical forum.

We have exactly the same trailer as yours and I have also looked into what it would take to install a window in this location. I decided not to pursue this for a couple of reasons. 1) There is no structure in the wall in this area to fasten the window to, and 2) The exterior vented range hood is lower than what was installed in later units with the window . . . which would force the window to be quite low.

When Grand Design installs a window, they frame the location with aluminum square tube which is part of the welded frame. After the wall is laminated, they router cut the window openings, following the edges of the aluminum frame. If you were to cut an opening for a window in this location on a 2015, all you would have to fasten to would be the interior and exterior skins and the styrofoam between these surfaces. I am borrowing a picture from another post to illustrate this. I considered cutting back the foam between the skins and using epoxy to bond in a wooden frame for the window to fasten to (I have done something similar on a boat) . . . but, decided that this was going to be a lot of work for what we ultimately decided would be a minor improvement.

I also saw your question about a replacement sink, but see that someone else has found that for you. I am pretty sure that I know why you need a new sink (bin-ther-dun-that). We have had our 2015 303 since new and I know it inside and out, so don't hesitate to ask. if you have any questions.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall core section 2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	49536
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I did have to replace a window in my last 5th wheel(Rockwood) It was an inside and outside 2 piece system that had the flanges overlap the opening and screw together with the skins and styrofoam in between the flanges. As for the sink I still haven,t got an answer but I did just post a picture of it. I did get response from someone on the GD facebook page that did replace the window and he suggested I come to the forum for more help so I think it can be done.

Comment

Mike, Never done a window, but you may be able to do as Rob suggest partially by adding a little reinforcement between the skins (L angle or channel) to keep it from crushing the foam. Use butyl tape on the outside skin to window (that stuff is better than glue) for sealer (I think that's what GD uses).

I do not think all MFG go through the trouble of framing in the windows on all sides.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jim TucsonJim being a retired Navy man, installed a round marine porthole type of window over the range in his 2014 337 years ago. Was a very nice look especially with the ocean life swimming by. Jim does outstanding work but he simply really outdid himself on this mod. He shared this on 4/1 so be careful when Jim shares something ! lol

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Here's a video of an owner of another brand doing the same thing you're considering. I believe the screws go from the inside and penetrate a channel on the outer window. This will give clamping action to the new window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lDuR3Bx_p4

If it were me, I'd look into clamp ring windows. Check out this page on how they are installed. This should give excellent clamping action on the wall.

http://rvwindow.com/RV_Products_List...CategoryID=248

Jim

P.S. Canyonlight - I'm glad you still remember that.
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

[QUOTE - I'm glad you still remember that. [/QUOTE]

I was buying everything you were selling then. I still enjoy coming to your "farm sales" auctions but tend to keep my hands in my pockets now. I'm still not sure what to do with the porthole window I bought though !

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Mike P
                Hi Mike,

If you can make this work, please take lots of pictures and post details here. There will definitely be others who are interested in this idea. It has been discussed several times (aside from Jim's April 1st port hole idea ) but no one has proceeded with the idea (that I am aware of).

If you can make this work, I will be interested . . . but for a different location. Later 303s also have a window in the bedroom closet slide. Since we do not have (or want) a second AC, another opening window for cross flow ventilation would definitely be something that we would like.

On the boat application (and this was indeed a "port hole" LOL) I removed the insulation for 2" around the opening (using a spinning allen key in a drill . . . it was rather messy) and inserted carefully sized and fitted pieces of hardwood in a bed of epoxy that (with lots of clamps) bonded the wood inserts to the inner and outer skins . . . making a solid wood frame for the "window" inner and outer frames to bolt through.

Rob
                Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-09-2021, 09:17 AM.
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X