Roof Sealant Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jbandtbone View Post
    Thank you Howard. My VIN number is in my profile if you would like to pass it on GD rep. And I will look in the morning about the removing the fan cover.
    GDRV-Megan -- mbrs VIN is in their profile. Can u verify roof is TPO? TIA!
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,
      Well I removed both fan covers in the bath and kitchen and I think it looks like the TPO roof. But didn't like seeing the lack of overlap at the roof openings like in the demonstration photos. Can you agree with my assumption on the roof being a TPO roof?
      John and Teresa
      "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
      "17" 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Jbandtbone View Post
        Howard,
        Well I removed both fan covers in the bath and kitchen and I think it looks like the TPO roof. But didn't like seeing the lack of overlap at the roof openings like in the demonstration photos. Can you agree with my assumption on the roof being a TPO roof?
        Yes. Sure looks like TPO to me. That last picture shows it well. Use the Alpha (aka Superflex) sealants.

If any forum members disagree please chime in...
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thank you so much.
          John and Teresa
          "19" 2500 HD GMC Sierra Duramax SLT.
          "17" 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

GDRV-Megan -- mbrs VIN is in their profile. Can u verify roof is TPO? TIA!
            HI there Jbandtbone I apologize for the delay in getting back with you on this! I have been out of the office due to some remodeling and also being sick. You have a TPO roof. 2017 and newer units are TPO.

Comment

The images below are from a presentation that colan (a professional RV technician) gave at the National Rally last year. What he's showing in the last two pics is if the material is solid white (it's easy to pull down the interior panel on the fan to see the material) it's TPO. If it has a black backing, it's EPDM. To verify 100% you can call GD or we can tag the GD rep here if you'd prefer and she'll look it up for you if you'll provide your VIN. (IMO it's easiest just to pull down that panel and look!)

-Howard

P.S. Colan--hope you don't mind me posting these images. Let me know if I've goofed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	TPO_Page_1.jpg
Views:	1883
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	13272

Name:	TPO_Page_2.jpg
Views:	1834
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	13273

Name:	TPO_Page_3.jpg
Views:	1806
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	13274

Howard, Please advise: in the first sentence above the pics of the fans it says “before 2017, ..........
              in the second sentence it says “before 2017, ..........

is that a typo and if not, what about AFTER 2017? TY!
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

Howard, Please advise: in the first sentence above the pics of the fans it says “before 2017, ..........
                in the second sentence it says “before 2017, ..........

is that a typo and if not, what about AFTER 2017? TY!
                That's funny--I've been looking at that for how long? colan : that second sentence should be after 2017, right?

Bottom line: sometime in the 2017 model year (probably different time frames for different lines) GD switched from EPDM to TPO. By looking at the material via the fan vent method it is easy to figure out what's on your RV.

Comment

That's funny--I've been looking at that for how long? colan : that second sentence should be after 2017, right?

Bottom line: sometime in the 2017 model year (probably different time frames for different lines) GD switched from EPDM to TPO. By looking at the material via the fan vent method it is easy to figure out what's on your RV.
                  thank you Howard for that clarification!!
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Model is 2016 337RLS. I am looking for the correct roof sealant.

Comment

Originally posted by Catdog6509 View Post
                      Model is 2016 337RLS. I am looking for the correct roof sealant.
                      Hellow Catdog6509!

Start at post 29 in this thread and read down--all the info you need is already here in detail.

I see this is your first post so when you get a chance check out the welcome letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

Comment

I am late to this string, but thought I might share about sealing roofs. This is our fourth RV. Number one had many leak problems. Numbers three and four have about 80' of 4" Eternabond to seal every possible leak on the roof. Once and done. No leaks. It seems a better solution than the sealant.

Charles
                        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

I'm late to this string as well. I have a 2020 2970RL, just installed 2 Maxxair fans using Alpha 1010which is what my owners manual said to use. What is the difference between 1010 and 1021? is one better than the other as I have one more to install in the bathroom so we can really keep it ventilated!
                          Mike & Molly
                          2013 F-150 FX4 5.0L
                          2020 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by MnM_OH View Post
                            I'm late to this string as well. I have a 2020 2970RL, just installed 2 Maxxair fans using Alpha 1010which is what my owners manual said to use. What is the difference between 1010 and 1021? is one better than the other as I have one more to install in the bathroom so we can really keep it ventilated!
                            1010 is non sag and should be used on vertical surfaces. 1021 is self leveling and made for horizontal surfaces. When sealing around items like vents on the roof, most people use 1021.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Reading this thread to confirm what to get...I created a tiny hole when I poked a bit of an air bubble that formed within the sealant ring around my Winegard antenna, and also noticed a tiny gap at the corner between where the roof meets with the rear wall of the trailer. My dealer suggested I use Sikaflex 715 to cover both of these holes / gaps - just wanted to check if this was acceptable?
                              Last edited by howson; 09-08-2021, 11:56 AM. Reason: Removed GDRV host tag--members have accurately answered the question in this thread.
                              Steven L
                              2021 Transcend 297QB
                              2021 Ford F-250

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowCamper View Post
                                Reading this thread to confirm what to get...I created a tiny hole when I poked a bit of an air bubble that formed within the sealant ring around my Winegard antenna, and also noticed a tiny gap at the corner between where the roof meets with the rear wall of the trailer. My dealer suggested I use Sikaflex 715 to cover both of these holes / gaps - just wanted to check if this was acceptable?
                                I'd get the Alpha sealant, on the roof you'll want the self leveling. Sometimes branded as super flex. Randy Davis, the head service tech trainer for Grand Design confirmed this at a seminar at the national rally.
                                Last edited by howson; 09-08-2021, 11:57 AM. Reason: Removed GDRV host tag--members have accurately answered the question in this thread.

Neil Citro
                                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                                X