Cleaning Black road grime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Black road grime

I am a new RVer and I have had my XLS 22MLE for about a month and have been on two trips so far. I have noticed light black/grey swirls on the sides of the RV and washing with "RV" cleaner does not remove it. I was looking at some harsher cleaners but I am worried about ruining the exterior finish. Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use to remove these "stains" ?
    2021 XLS22MLE
    2020 Ford F150 Ecoboost
    New Bern NC

Originally posted by FelixTheCat View Post
    I am a new RVer and I have had my XLS 22MLE for about a month and have been on two trips so far. I have noticed light black/grey swirls on the sides of the RV and washing with "RV" cleaner does not remove it. I was looking at some harsher cleaners but I am worried about ruining the exterior finish. Does anyone have suggestions on what I could use to remove these "stains" ?
    There are several/many commercially available 'Black Streak Removers'. Camco makes one. Just Google RV Black Streak Remover. Others have purchased something from Walmart that they have said works.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

I've heard that Simple Green may be effective for this problem, but I can't attest to it personally.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you use the "black streak remover" make sure and use a wash and wax when done. The "black streak remover" will remove any wax that you may have applied. Another tip is to not let any of the cleaners dry on the RV (trust me on this) if you do you will have to do it all over again. I have used the "black streak remover" plenty of times with no ill effects. I also have noticed that a lot of those streaks come from the roof. I realize that you have only used it a couple of times but the roof collects all sorts of dirt and dust. Use some dawn dish soap to wash the roof once and a while thru the year and this will help keep the "black streaks" at bay , also a good time to inspect the roof , use a soft brush for the washing part , roof included.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help !!
          2021 XLS22MLE
          2020 Ford F150 Ecoboost
          New Bern NC

Comment

FelixTheCat Hello, I would stay well away from Simple Green on the finish. I found out the hard way that if left on the surface for long it will etch the finish permanently. I have used the Camco product in the past and it works. I also make an effort to keep the gutters clean to help the water from the roof drain well without overflowing, if it rains hard all bets are off. While traveling in the rain the road grime is unavoidable. As Brian says above, a clean roof helps a lot when parked.

Dave
            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by FelixTheCat View Post
              Thanks everyone for your help !!
              Have you tried Dawn? It also will strip the wax so rewax afterword
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I have used Awesome Cleaner for black spots, road grime, and splattered bugs for years. I think it may be the same formulation as Simple Green but I've never had an issue with it damaging the exterior finish. I do wash it off with soap after it cleans. It is amazing!
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by oliver305
                  I use Bio-Kleen, and persistent stains on my RV side are no longer causing headaches. This commercial-grade solution quickly removed the black streaks on my RV that had been there for years, restoring the paint's appearance.
                  What RV do you own, oliver305?
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

For roof-caused black streaks on fiberglass, Black Streak remover is best.
                    For tar balls low on the RV, 90% alcohol works best but be advised, using alcohol or Dawn on your waxed RV will remove all wax.
                    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel
                    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Working...
                    X