Corner trim replacement on a Transcend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corner trim replacement on a Transcend

Has anyone ever changed a corner trim on a transcend? A limb got in our way a couple of weeks ago. It didn't do any real damage other than bend the trim slightly and it bugs me. Can hardly tell and the caulk seal wasn't even broken. I have smoothed out the decal. Advice is appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-30 094827.png
Views:	531
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	52334

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-30 095054.png
Views:	513
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	52335
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

You'll have to call a dealer to order, but doing this, you can have the right part number to order. Usually the dealer will ship to your house if you ask.

The parts department of a dealer should be able to look it up. Trying to figure out what part is what is a bit difficult.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-30 094827.png
Views:	531
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	52334

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-30 095054.png
Views:	513
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	52335
        Thanks! I have looked up the part on the GD website and would call the dealer. I'm more wondering how involved it is to do it myself.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

Thanks! I have looked up the part on the GD website and would call the dealer. I'm more wondering how involved it is to do it myself.
          Bill,

Since the Transcend Xplor is a pretty new product line, you may be the first owner to try this. If you attempt it, please share your new found knowledge with us.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

BillinTexas Can't tell how its held on. If its's just screwed in place like just about every other piece of trim on campers, It should not be that hard. I suggest you do not try to reuse the existing holes unless you can guarantee the alignment of the screws.

I would Butyl tape on the corner and silicone trim to siding (even if the factory did not). Silicone always seems to not adhere in one place or another and leak.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Bill,

Since the Transcend Xplor is a pretty new product line, you may be the first owner to try this. If you attempt it, please share your new found knowledge with us.

Jim
              Indeed I will, Jim. I'm going to try to find out everything I can about doing it prior to deciding whether to take it on or not.

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              BillinTexas Can't tell how its held on. If its's just screwed in place like just about every other piece of trim on campers, It should not be that hard. I suggest you do not try to reuse the existing holes unless you can guarantee the alignment of the screws.

I would Butyl tape on the corner and silicone trim to siding (even if the factory did not). Silicone always seems to not adhere in one place or another and leak.
              Is this the same type of tape used to patch the coroplast on the underbelly? Thanks for the tip on the screws. As far as I can tell it would be screwed on. I'm wondering how the inserted trim piece is held in and how to get it out.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas

Bill

On the back of the trim piece, rear of the RV , there is a plastic cover that slips into a channel on each side of the trim , it may be held in with a screw on top and bottom or maybe just silicone on the top and a screw or nothing on the bottom. If you pull that plastic piece out you will have access to all of the screws that holds the corner trim on. Remove all of these screws and the corner trim will come off. There may be silicone behind it or even butyl tape. Butyl tape is just a soft putty that is pasted onto a "tape" like paper to hold it for use , also easy to roll up and un-roll when needed. This stuff is very easy to work with and remains pliable. Just be careful when you try to remove the trim as it may be stuck better in places so a plastic knife or such may be needed to gently pry it away from the sides. Also when you install the new corner trim or the old one put a little dab of silicone on the screws before installing to help keep water out.

​​​​​​​Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Butyl tape looks like this:

Name:	565_source_1604241112.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	52473
                  Mike

Comment

BillinTexas Bill, the best way to describe Butyl tape is fresh chewed gum. Sticks to everything but unlike gum it stays soft.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                      BillinTexas

Bill

On the back of the trim piece, rear of the RV , there is a plastic cover that slips into a channel on each side of the trim , it may be held in with a screw on top and bottom or maybe just silicone on the top and a screw or nothing on the bottom. If you pull that plastic piece out you will have access to all of the screws that holds the corner trim on. Remove all of these screws and the corner trim will come off. There may be silicone behind it or even butyl tape. Butyl tape is just a soft putty that is pasted onto a "tape" like paper to hold it for use , also easy to roll up and un-roll when needed. This stuff is very easy to work with and remains pliable. Just be careful when you try to remove the trim as it may be stuck better in places so a plastic knife or such may be needed to gently pry it away from the sides. Also when you install the new corner trim or the old one put a little dab of silicone on the screws before installing to help keep water out.

​​​​​​​Brian
                      Brian, thanks for the information. The more I look at this the more I think I can get it done.

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                      Butyl tape looks like this:

Name:	565_source_1604241112.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	52473
                      Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      BillinTexas Bill, the best way to describe Butyl tape is fresh chewed gum. Sticks to everything but unlike gum it stays soft.
                      Mike, Joseph, thanks for the information on the Butyl tape. A number of the videos out there are pushing Dicor Seal-tite tape. Are either of you familiar with it?
                      Bill & Cindy
                      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                      SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas Bill, that looks like a single sided product. The nice thing about Butyl is thickness that allows for differences. The Butyl is like a plumbers putty, designed to be smushed and pushed unit it moves into the low spots, excess you scrape off (possibly reuse) and keep going.

That tape sounds like it would be an underlayment for several other sealing systems. Remember, the more layers, the more possibility of leaking.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X