Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toy Haulers: is this normal for new? (corrosion, wear on rear and ramp in 2 months)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy Haulers: is this normal for new? (corrosion, wear on rear and ramp in 2 months)

Hello, I'm looking for experiences from other owners of Toy Haulers. I just bought my 2021, and I'm already seeing the following after only first trip. Wondering if I am too "particular", or if I really should expect better: see pictures.
    1. First picture shows fastener corrosion. I was told "the warranty doesn't cover rust". Well, sure definitely I get that. After all not every surface can be rustproofed, and surface rust is to be expected. But this looks like defective fasteners that will structurally fail sooner, rather than later (but, possibly after the first year). Thoughts? Defects in workmanship, or cosmetic surface rust that can be safely ignored with no impact on longevity.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210403_181754359.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	52500
    Hmmm that is a little large... still figuring out how to put images on here appropriately.
    The next picture is of the rear metal BESIDE the ramp-- I was surprised to see that it appears to have only a single layer of paint on it. I would expect that, like the steel on other parts of the RV (the pin box, the door frames), that it would have been primed, and then several coats of paint, and then maybe a clear coat on top. But no, there's only one layer-- and so, there are already weather stains and rust. And, I've only had this thing for a couple months!
    rear wall, bad paint
    Attached Files
    2021 397TH
    2021 F350 6.7L DRW

kenton Exposure to the elements is the nature of the beast. Any exposed unprotected metal is going to weather and require attention on a regular basis. We touch up our unit regularly as part of PM and pre-trip inspections. A good rust preventative paint can be sprayed on or shot into a small container and dabbed onto small spots with a q-tip. Some might think to use stainless fasteners as replacements and this can work in certain locations, be cautious that they are not installed into the aluminum structure as you will cause galvanic/dis-similar metal corrosion. A little bit of Zinc-chromate primer can also work well if you can find some, perhaps from an aviation parts supplier?, marine products are also top notch and may be closer to the environment that an r.v. endures.

Good luck
    Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

kenton

I've gone over the entire underbelly of my unit using Corroseal. As a previous poster stated, corrosion prevention is a regular maintenance item. I usually find issues when washing and waxing the trailer.

In addition to surface rust, every single fastener I've removed (for one reason or the other) has shown signs of corrosion on the threads due to water penetration. To battle this problem, screws are replaced with stainless versions and coated with silicone sealant prior to reinstallation.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes and no. You will start to see rust pop up from day one. Every month I go over the trailer and treat any rust that I find with some rustoleum. This includes the weight distribution hitch.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Ok, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your thoughts. I'm hearing that Preventative Maintenance should include anti-corrosion steps. Ok, I don't see this described in the manual (if I missed it, I'm always grateful for pointers to reference documentation statements that I've overlooked), but anyway, I can accept that there is some amount of this type of preventative maintenance that I need to take responsiblity for.

So, if I prep and paint those metal areas on the back (approximately 15 square feet of surface area, in two rectangles on either side of the ramp, extending from near the top to near the bottom, about 10 inches wide), and if I remove and replace those fasteners with the proper hardware, doing those things won't affect my warranty? I've always thought that for the first year, it is best to not modify or change anything about the RV, if you want to avoid complications with warranty claims (changes I make can invalidate warranty-- for example, if I replace fasteners, then ramp issues will now be my responsibility).
          Thanks again!
          Kenton
          2021 397TH
          2021 F350 6.7L DRW

Comment

kenton Not the warranty expert but I would think that anything done to protect the units structure and prevent damage and deterioration would have little to no effect, most likely just the opposite, on your coverage. I believe that it is the owners responsibility to maintain the unit to help ensure warranty coverage. If you should have misgivings call GD customer service, start a case with them, and ask. They are very helpful when approached in a respectful manner in my experience. After all you want to be happy and they want the same thing.

Dave
            flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I remove and replace those fasteners with the proper hardware,
              Kenton[/QUOTE]

Not all hardware is created equal with respect to strength. Common ferrous hardware, SAE J429 Grade 2, has a tensile strength of 60,000 74,000 psi; aluminum 6061-T6 is 45,000 psi; while stainless 303A is 75,000. There are also differences in hardness and brittleness. Before replacing any fastener with one of a different material, please make sure that the two have comparable strength and yield characteristics.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                kenton

I've gone over the entire underbelly of my unit using Corroseal. As a previous poster stated, corrosion prevention is a regular maintenance item. I usually find issues when washing and waxing the trailer.

In addition to surface rust, every single fastener I've removed (for one reason or the other) has shown signs of corrosion on the threads due to water penetration. To battle this problem, screws are replaced with stainless versions and coated with silicone sealant prior to reinstallation.
                Howard,

Do you have a link to those popular screws?

At some point I would also like to do this.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  ...screws?
                  They are the stainless available at my local Ace Hardware. I've found their stuff is much better than the big box store quailty.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    kenton

howson, when you're ready to sell your RV (or anything you've maintained, for that matter) please give me first crack at buying it!

Seriously though, good suggestions, and I will attend. I am pretty particular (although I admit you have me beat on the PM schedule you've laid out for yourself). As a follow-up, GD did say they would be willing to pay for the replacement of the corroded fasteners on the base of the ramp. The catch is that the dealer was asked to locally-source them, and couldnt find them. So, it has fallen to me to find-- it's on my 'to do' list. When I get the exact specifications (including material and class/grade, thanks JBill/John!) I'll post here.

All in all so far, GD has been a good manufacturer, I went back to the dealer with 11 issues after my shakedown trip, and they fixed (nearly) all of them, no charge and no hassle.

Kenton
                    2021 397TH
                    2021 F350 6.7L DRW

Comment

howson What brand is the local hardware store you use? DoItBest, ACE, or other?
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        howson What brand is the local hardware store you use? DoItBest, ACE, or other?
                        Post #9 states Ace Hardware.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Must have missed that part. I wish we had an Ace close. I'm need to look for one as the local DoItBest here carries the same stuff as the orange and blue box stores.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Good fasteners and hardware arent cheap and cheap fasteners and hardware arent good. It seems as though (strictly anecdotal) that zinc plating isnt what it once was. I suspect it has something to do with environmental regulation changes since plating involves so much hazardous materials.
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by kenton View Post

howson, when you're ready to sell your RV (or anything you've maintained, for that matter) please give me first crack at buying it!

Seriously though, good suggestions, and I will attend. I am pretty particular (although I admit you have me beat on the PM schedule you've laid out for yourself). As a follow-up, GD did say they would be willing to pay for the replacement of the corroded fasteners on the base of the ramp. The catch is that the dealer was asked to locally-source them, and couldnt find them. So, it has fallen to me to find-- it's on my 'to do' list. When I get the exact specifications (including material and class/grade, thanks JBill/John!) I'll post here.

All in all so far, GD has been a good manufacturer, I went back to the dealer with 11 issues after my shakedown trip, and they fixed (nearly) all of them, no charge and no hassle.

Kenton
                              Try Fastenal or Graingers. If a screw is made, at least one or probably both will have it.
                              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                              Nash County, NC
                              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                              X