Roof damage from Hail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof damage from Hail

5/6/21 my 2021 reflections suffered major damage in April in alabama hail storm. Baseball six ,4in dia., hit mi trailer. My dealer is doing the repairs. My slider roofs have 4 in diameter dents and are all being replaced but the say my roof doesn't show any damage. How can the underlament not be damaged with that size hail hitting it. It has to be compromised.

any suggestions.

I have moved your post out to the Exterior section.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Rogers from mi View Post
      5/6/21 my 2021 reflections suffered major damage in April in alabama hail storm. Baseball six ,4in dia., hit mi trailer. My dealer is doing the repairs. My slider roofs have 4 in diameter dents and are all being replaced but the say my roof doesn't show any damage. How can the underlament not be damaged with that size hail hitting it. It has to be compromised.

any suggestions.
      You could also get a second opinion. Have your insurance adjuster take a look at it if they have not already. I would have to agree that if the slide roofs have damage then the main roof would surely have sustained the same damage.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Apparently, my insurance company agrees with the dealer. I'm going to mention to grand design that since the roof is warrantied for 18 yrs., then that means grand design will cover any water damage in the future, since theyre saying 4 inch hail didnt hurt my roof.

Comment

Pull the inside skylight/vent trim and take a look. You should have a clear view of the roof and roof trusses for a few feet. If the plywood is not showing distress, then you could be OK. There are some wall (think bore scope) cameras that can be used too.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

To clarify the roof warranty.

The warranty only covers the roof membrane by the membrane manufacture not Grand Design. The structural warranty by Grand Design will only cover an issue that has been linked to the manufacturing process by Grand Design.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If the roof plywood has been damaged, you should be able to see or feel soft spots under foot. A light spray of water might show these depressions as the water dries. Your only recourse is what you agree to with your insurance company. I doubt that Grand Design or the roof membrane manufacturer can be held liable for future deterioration originally caused by hail damage.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rogers from mi - To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an "underlayment" on the roof. It's manufactured with the TPO roofing material glued directly to 3/8" plywood on the main roof.

Cate&Rob Country Campers howson - I can't remember if the slide out roof material is 3/8" plywood like the main roof is. The reason there may be damage on the slide outs and not the main roof may be the roofing material. Do any of you guys know if there is a difference between the slide out and the main roofing material?

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim -- I've never seen a slideout under construction so not sure of the underlayment.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'm worried about my roof. The 2 motorhomes parked next to me in the campground received over 100 holes apiece in their fiberglass roofs and my truck received $15000 in damage. That gives you an idea of the beating my roof took.
                    I know 1 of the motorhomes and it was totaled out.

thanks for the reply about pulling my skylight trim, I'm definitely doing that to check. Thanks for all the opinion, they help.

Comment

Working...
                    X