2021 2670MK: Leaking Rain Gutter above Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 2670MK: Leaking Rain Gutter above Door

Hello- we just bought our 2670MK and love it. We've had two issues: one with the A/C (minor) and water leaking from the rain gutter, awning side, right above the door. This is only on the outside and doesn;t appear to be an issue with water damage so far. I want to fix this because I know this is not how this should be and it could eventually cause problems down the road. Some things I noticed:
    - It leaks where two pieces of gutter are spliced together (see picture)
    - It leaks only when the awning is fully retracted. When the awning is extended, the gap seen in the picture closes.
    - There is a sticky residue at the gutter splice but I don;t see any sort of sealant there.

My questions are:
    - Anyone recommend a fix?
    - Can I do this myself without voiding the warranty?

Although I didn't have a negative experience at the dealership, I'd like to avoid going back there if possible. I also like doing things myself. Any advice you all can give is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve
    Steve & Jen + Lucy, Frank, and Kevin

2021 Imagine 2670MK
    2021 Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel

You'd think the techs would know that putting a splice in a gutter over a door is not a good idea. Oh well, better to use the gutter length you have than to end up with a 18" piece of scrap.

Similar problem with my gutter (splice was over basement door, though, so I was luckier there). Simple fix was to use my favorite tape on the bottom side of the gutter as a backer and then caulk the joint with silicone. Removed the tape while silicone was tacky and after silicone was fully cured I trimmed off excess in the gutter.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
      You'd think the techs would know that putting a splice in a gutter over a door is not a good idea. Oh well, better to use the gutter length you have than to end up with a 18" piece of scrap.

Similar problem with my gutter (splice was over basement door, though, so I was luckier there). Simple fix was to use my favorite tape on the bottom side of the gutter as a backer and then caulk the joint with silicone. Removed the tape while silicone was tacky and after silicone was fully cured I trimmed off excess in the gutter.
      Thanks John! I'll give it a shot.

Steve

2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

My gutters still leak, and every time I think I have it solved, I see a drip coming coming down . I have tried wall caulking, lap sealant, non sagging lap sealant, etc. and it's never fully worked. This go around, I'm think of maybe going with black eternabond tape following the full contour of the gutter, including the outside part of the channel used for the awning backing. The red lines in the photos are where I was thinking. Hopefully that works, but has anyone tried something similar with any success?

-Other Steve
        (Finally another Steve, I see lots of Robs on here, but not many Steves / Stephens)

2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
          My gutters still leak, and every time I think I have it solved, I see a drip coming coming down . I have tried wall caulking, lap sealant, non sagging lap sealant, etc. and it's never fully worked. This go around, I'm think of maybe going with black eternabond tape following the full contour of the gutter, including the outside part of the channel used for the awning backing. The red lines in the photos are where I was thinking. Hopefully that works, but has anyone tried something similar with any success?

-Other Steve
          (Finally another Steve, I see lots of Robs on here, but not many Steves / Stephens)
          Hey Steve!

I've tried only a few things as I ran out of time before this trip. I did lap sealant and gorilla permanent tape and both failed. I also noticed that when I use my awning, the seam between the two pieces of gutter changes. The space is smaller when the awning is extended than when it is retracted (I can see sky). Good luck with your fix - I'm interested to see how it comes out.

Steve

2021 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

My '21 Solitude is doing the exact same thing, when awning is retracted, it pulls the molding loose, and water leaks down the entrance door. All the square headed screws are stripped out!

I will try to put larger screws in. What is behind the 1" screws?, it appears to be wood? or is there metal in there somewhere?

Comment

Yo might try an expanding urethane glue and toothpicks or match sticks with the heads removed. this will help fill in some of the gap around the screw where it's stripped the wood and also help build a larger thread engagement area.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I installed #12 stainless screws, a little bigger than the original ones. We will see if they hold when the awning closes. Resealed caulking too.

I agree, a gutter joint should not be put over the door!

Comment

jbarker any luck with your fix? We just picked up a 2022 2670MK with the same splice and leak over our entry door.
                  Jamison & Ruth
                  2022 Imagine 2670MK
                  2004 GMC Yukon XL2500 with LBZ Duramax/Allison and some other goodies
                  ProPride 3P 1400

Comment

Originally posted by BigDogRV View Post
                    jbarker any luck with your fix? We just picked up a 2022 2670MK with the same splice and leak over our entry door.
                    Just a note to say "Hi". You've got the sig line figured out so I'm going to guess you found the Welcome Letter (or are forum savvy). Also--thanks for inputting your VIN in your profile. I've sent a note to a Production Manager at GD since you're now the fourth owner in this thread to complain about the same issue.

Again, welcome!

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Just a note to say "Hi". You've got the sig line figured out so I'm going to guess you found the Welcome Letter (or are forum savvy). Also--thanks for inputting your VIN in your profile. I've sent a note to a Production Manager at GD since you're now the fourth owner in this thread to complain about the same issue.

Again, welcome!

Howard
                      LOL, make it 5. 2021 2670MK. Joint is almost dead center over the door. :-(
                      Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
                      2021 GD 2670MK
                      2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Let's make it 6. My 2021 310rls has a gutter joint over the door. I noticed the drip splatter during rain back in May during my first outing in PA. I opened the door to look out at the rain and got splattered in the face, and the awning was extended.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Same issue on our 2018 2670MK, been trying with little luck for over a year to get it to stop.

Comment

Working...
                          X