basement storage plastic containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basement storage plastic containers

brought home my 29RS from storage and found the front passenger side basement plastic container with three 10' cracks from where it rests on the inside wooden floor down to the bottom of the bin. Search for other threads no luck... Looked for replacements on line GD site couldn't fine them. email my dealership and asked about warranty only camped two nights and pulled miles total. Is this comon design falt or mine a odd ball? I have never stored anything in this bin except the plastic wheel leveling pads..
    Last edited by Country Campers; 06-10-2021, 11:02 AM. Reason: fixed title spelling

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post
    brought home my 29RS from storage and found the front passenger side basement plastic container with three 10' cracks from where it rests on the inside wooden floor down to the bottom of the bin. Search for other threads no luck... Looked for replacements on line GD site couldn't fine them. email my dealership and asked about warranty only camped two nights and pulled miles total. Is this comon design falt or mine a odd ball? I have never stored anything in this bin except the plastic wheel leveling pads..
    Saddle Box.
    Usually it takes awhile for cracks, and they often occur at the screw attachement points.

Parts Lookup https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup

Reflection 2020, 2021 29RS LiteFW > Exterior > Attachments
    560116 SADDLE BOX 39" BLACK ABS HC STARTING GAUGE .150
    560039 SADDLE BOX 56" BLACK ABS HC STARTING GAUGE .150
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Here is how I fixed mine. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/interio...dle-box-repair
      Maybe give you some ideas.
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Pauly View Post

We've got a 2021 29RS with exactly the same problem. We've got two long cracks extending from the basement floor to the bottom of the saddlebox, both near but not right at screws that secure the lip of the box to the basement floor. Like you, we have not carried any significant weight in the saddle box.

Looking at the cracks and thinking about causes, I suspect they are from flexing of the I-beam that runs right under the basement floor. If the I-beam flexes in the vertical direction during travel, the box will try to bend with it. The back wall of the box can't bend in that direction, so it cracks.

I've got a replacement box (warranty covered) that I am going to install. My plan is to use oversize holes and fender washers where the box flange mounts to the basement floor so that the floor can move some without transferring large forces to the plastic saddle box.

The problem I have at the moment is that the saddle box flange goes under the framing of the wall at the aft of the basement. In order to get the box out, I'm going to have to either remove, or cut and replace, that framing. Replacement of the saddle box looked easy until I bumped into this. I'm sorry now that I volunteered to replace the part myself rather than wait a couple of months for the dealer to get to it.

Comment

I have decided not to mess with it I replaped all the screws and installed finder washers, didn't want to remove the walls on the deck to get to the complete box. might try and find a good tape to install over the cracks and keep the moisture out while driving in the rain.. o well I did install 4 dimmers to reduce the harsh light. bedroom, above the recliners, above the couch and the lights below the cabinets accross from the tabe and kitchen. can't dim the overhead lights that are controled thru the lighting and slideout controler. :( everything else has work just great. pulls like a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Peachfuzz View Post

We've got a 2021 29RS with exactly the same problem. We've got two long cracks extending from the basement floor to the bottom of the saddlebox, both near but not right at screws that secure the lip of the box to the basement floor. Like you, we have not carried any significant weight in the saddle box.

Looking at the cracks and thinking about causes, I suspect they are from flexing of the I-beam that runs right under the basement floor. If the I-beam flexes in the vertical direction during travel, the box will try to bend with it. The back wall of the box can't bend in that direction, so it cracks.

I've got a replacement box (warranty covered) that I am going to install. My plan is to use oversize holes and fender washers where the box flange mounts to the basement floor so that the floor can move some without transferring large forces to the plastic saddle box.

The problem I have at the moment is that the saddle box flange goes under the framing of the wall at the aft of the basement. In order to get the box out, I'm going to have to either remove, or cut and replace, that framing. Replacement of the saddle box looked easy until I bumped into this. I'm sorry now that I volunteered to replace the part myself rather than wait a couple of months for the dealer to get to it.
            Its not bad to get it out. It may be the lip is just tucked under and will rotate out. To check remove the wall covering and look - probably 4 screws. Even if it is under the wall you will see the wall base is probably held down with only two screws so easy to remove. TIP - Carefully mark the position of the wall faces (top , bottom, sides) before shifting the wall so you can get the screws back into the original holes.
            Hope this helps.

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X