Roof Bubbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Bubbling

Since we have owned our 31MB I have noticed slight bubbling on the roof that would seem to be normal. And for the most part these bubbles stayed the same size and haven't grown in size.

Recently I noticed a large bubble that formed parallel and close to the front cap roof seam while I was on the roof blowing off dirt and debris. We make sure to get on the roof before leaving each location and we move a lot. So I'm sure this is a recent occurrence.

To my untrained eye it appears that the roof membrane might be pulling away from the trim piece that should hold it into place.

Is this normal?

Should I take it to the dealer for a quick inspection by them?
    2020 Reflection 31MB
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

I don't think I'd like that, but not sure if it's a problem.
    I think I would bring a few of those pics to the dealer service department and ask some questions.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by dgerfan View Post
      To my untrained eye it appears that the roof membrane might be pulling away from the trim piece that should hold it into place.
      I'm not a roof expert...but here's what I think I know: the TPO roof material is bonded to the underlayment (plywood) using glue. The front cap keeps air from getting between the edge of the TPO and underlayment What I see is a rather large failure of the TPO-glue-plywood bond.

Is this normal?
      Your roof's bubbles appear to be beyond what I'd call "normal".

Should I take it to the dealer for a quick inspection by them?
      Not only would I have documentation by your dealer, I also suggest sending an email to Grand Design Customer Service (see business card on home page of this forum). Don't forget to include your VIN, pictures, and all the timeline information related to the problem. Request GD's advice on what to do (and get an reference # so you know it's documented).

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy howson

Really appreciate the replies!

Per GD Customer Service the roof issue is major and they don't recommend moving the RV. They have directed me to contact my dealer to have the issue looked at immediately.

This puts us in a pickle as we are full timers and we have had problems with our dealer's service department. Will have to see how this goes. Anyways I will update this thread with all the particulars.
        ​​​​​​​
        2020 Reflection 31MB

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy howson

Really appreciate the replies!

Per GD Customer Service the roof issue is major and they don't recommend moving the RV. They have directed me to contact my dealer to have the issue looked at immediately.

This puts us in a pickle as we are full timers and we have had problems with our dealer's service department. Will have to see how this goes. Anyways I will update this thread with all the particulars.
          ​​​​​​​
          You are most welcome.

Something to consider...it there's a quote for the repair, consider asking Grand Design to reimburse you that amount and get a permanent, no-maintenance-needed roof solution. Remember--I'm just an owner like you and have nothing to gain in any way, shape or form: consider something like a FlexArmor roof.

Good thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...xarmor-rv-roof

Another one here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...imilar-product

Lots of info on the internet. Pricey upgrade, but once it's done there's no more worry or maintenance.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Glad you got a quick response from GD. I've been trying since the 5th and so far have gotten nowhere.
            I'm starting to think the guy I first talked to is either on holidays or let go.....

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Sorry to hear that. We have had nothing but good experiences with GD support.
              2020 Reflection 31MB

Comment

An update to this issue is well overdue... Our dealer was very accommodating and got us in immediately to inspect the roof and devise a fix. Within a hour or so they contacted us to say that we shouldn't expect GD to pay for any of the labor or supplies required to fix the roof. From their perspective the membrane was pulling away because I was negligent in inspecting the roof every 90 days and should have placed caulk over the front cap seal once it was apparent that it was needed. I informed them that I get up on the roof before we move (which on average is every 10 days) and inspect all the caulk, seal, solar panel mounts, etc....

I believe this issue occurred when we were traveling from Sedona, AZ (very warm at the time) to Cortez, CO (much cooler than Sedona). We had to travel over a 10k mountain pass that had just experienced a major snow storm. I have no way of knowing the particular cause but I believe the temperature changes and/or elevation change has something to do with it. Either way the dealer agreed to submit it the GD and within a day we heard from GD that the entire cost would be covered under warranty.

A month later we went back to the dealer for the 8 hrs required to address the issue which entailed pulling the roof membrane back to bedroom vent, re-glue the membrane to the roof decking and add an additional trim piece on the front cap. I found it interesting that GD allowed the placement of the additional trim piece. All in all a great experience and we continue to be happy GD owners (well except for the soft hose).

It does beg the question if you ever got into a dispute regarding whether or not you check the roof at the required intervals and address any issues immediately. How would you prove that this has been done? Short of taking the RV into a dealer every 90 days for them to inspect and document.
                Last edited by dgerfan; 07-16-2021, 05:07 AM.
                2020 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Sorry to hear that. We have had nothing but good experiences with GD support.
                  Ultimately things worked out. The guy I originally talked to...well I never heard from him again. But I talked to another rep who took care of things very well. Sent the replacement parts to me quickly and tossed in an led bulb for my island lights as a goodwill gesture.

Glad your issue was sorted out.

Comment

It does beg the question if you ever got into a dispute regarding whether or not you check the roof at the required intervals and address any issues immediately. How would you prove that this has been done? Short of taking the RV into a dealer every 90 days for them to inspect and document.
                    I have thought about this too and don’t know how to prove it. We are not full timers and after each trip I get on the roof to inspect. Have touched up with caulk on many occasions since purchase in 11/19. I also carry a tube with us and a 10’ roll of Eternabond tape in case of a really bad rip.
                    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    Andersen WDH
                    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

I installed my solar panels yesterday and today I noticed some slight bubbles around a couple of mounts. I doubt it's serious and yes I did use some sealant under and around the brackets and screws. And of course today the weather decided to rain slightly. Now I'm worried that the sealant didn't have time to dry enough for waterproofing. How can I check if water got inside?
                      Towing vehicle is a 2021 ram 1500 hemi etorque. The trailer is a 2021 imagine xls 21bhe

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy View Post
                        I installed my solar panels yesterday and today I noticed some slight bubbles around a couple of mounts. I doubt it's serious and yes I did use some sealant under and around the brackets and screws. And of course today the weather decided to rain slightly. Now I'm worried that the sealant didn't have time to dry enough for waterproofing. How can I check if water got inside?
                        If you used the alpha sealant it should have skinned over within an hour or two. Once it skins over it is relatively weatherproof. The tube says it could take several days to fully cure.

In addition to putting sealant under and around I would have covered the entire bracket. I don't know you can check to see if water got inside. The only way would be to remove everything check, dry, and redo.
                        Mike & Lisa
                        Central Florida
                        2021 Imagine 2970RL
                        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Working...
                        X