Cracked Skylight on 2021 Reflection 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Santa61 -- excellent work and documentation, thank you! That Icon skylight looks great.

Can you please enter the 337's VIN in your profile?

Jlawles2 , pull up and stretch the roof material? If the TPO material bond to the underlayment was healthy, why would any manipulation be required? Could this "stretching" have been an EPDM roofs or something in the past that I don't know about?

Howard
    Howard,

Thanks for reminding me to enter the VIN number in my profile. I created the profile before delivery of our rig and forgot to update accordingly.

I have updated with the VIN.

Keith
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

Santa61 Keith, Always looking for more knowledge. If you can post pictures of the angle and tool(s) you used when pulling up the sealer it will help. The few times I have had to pull up things on the roof, the membrane always looks horrible afterwards. Nothing in my chemical collection (that i was willing to try) seemed to soften up that stuff to make it easy to remove.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for the thread, Keith. I won't post any more pics as they are the same as others have posted. This gives me additional information to work with.

I do have a couple of questions. What length screws did you use? Did the Dicor cause you any problems on the TPO roof? I know the tubes now list as appropriate for use on TPO roofs but I was advised to use the Alpha systems 2101 self-leveling sealant. I have two tubes of Dicor is the reason I ask.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
          Thanks for the thread, Keith. I won't post any more pics as they are the same as others have posted. This gives me additional information to work with.

I do have a couple of questions. What length screws did you use? Did the Dicor cause you any problems on the TPO roof? I know the tubes now list as appropriate for use on TPO roofs but I was advised to use the Alpha systems 2101 self-leveling sealant. I have two tubes of Dicor is the reason I ask.
          Bill & Cindy,

I purchased and used the Camco Universal Vent Installation Kit with Putty Tape to install the skylight. Included in the kit are #8 x 1" slotted hex head screws. This is what I used and they worked excellent. I installed them with a driver only to a close fit and then finished with a hand screwdriver to avoid over-tightening.

The Dicor self leveling sealant has worked as expected. The seal is secure and I have experienced no leaking. I was concerned at first with using Dicor on a TPO membrane but as you stated, Dicor now lists TPO as an acceptable application for use.

Keith
          Keith and Tina

Comment

Originally posted by Santa61 View Post

The Dicor self leveling sealant has worked as expected. The seal is secure and I have experienced no leaking. I was concerned at first with using Dicor on a TPO membrane but as you stated, Dicor now lists TPO as an acceptable application for use.

Keith
            Keith,

Thanks for an excellent post on the repair. Sounds like many of us will be facing this repair.

Also, thanks for the info on the use of Dicor. I asked this question in another post before seeing this. I know there has been some discussion on this in the past. I spoke with GD customer service yesterday afternoon, and the rep agreed that Dicor was acceptable to use on the Alpha systems roofs.

2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I did a little pealing back this afternoon to see how it would be and they used the correct type of screws on mine. They just over tightened them.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

Santa61 Sorry to respond to an older post but Keith (and others) how has the Icon aftermarket skylight worked out?

I ask because I looked out back this am and saw something I didn't like. Chards of my bathroom skylight sticking up in the air above the trailer. I went out and assessed everything and found not only the bath but the skylight over the island were toast but the island didn't collapse, just cracked all the way around and is flapping in the breeze.

The culpret appears to be black walnuts falling from the tree above. I have had no issues the past 2 years but I have a feeling this plastic has become more brittle with sun and age. The storage containers I have from the dollar store seem to be more robust. Sorry for rv editorial comment. Just not a happy camper at the moment.

So, thinking of getting the Icon's assuming I can find the sizes I need and wanted to see how they're holding up.

Thanks
                Terry
                Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
                2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
                2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by trkester View Post
                  Santa61 Sorry to respond to an older post but Keith (and others) how has the Icon aftermarket skylight worked out?

I ask because I looked out back this am and saw something I didn't like. Chards of my bathroom skylight sticking up in the air above the trailer. I went out and assessed everything and found not only the bath but the skylight over the island were toast but the island didn't collapse, just cracked all the way around and is flapping in the breeze.

The culpret appears to be black walnuts falling from the tree above. I have had no issues the past 2 years but I have a feeling this plastic has become more brittle with sun and age. The storage containers I have from the dollar store seem to be more robust. Sorry for rv editorial comment. Just not a happy camper at the moment.

So, thinking of getting the Icon's assuming I can find the sizes I need and wanted to see how they're holding up.

Thanks
                  Terry
                  Sorry for such a late response. We returned from our Grand Canyon trip and put our rig in storage for winter back in late September. This is early for us but we had a few trips to TX that did not include our rig going with us.

The Icon skylight has been perfect for us. I have been very happy with the white lens choice. It continues to let in plenty of natural light and diffuses it perfectly. There have been no issues with the skylight and I do believe the aerodynamics of the Icon skylight is much more durable as well as sturdy. Being a sphere shape I believe it has similar protective physics of an egg's shell.

Hope this has been helpful and not too late.

Keith
                  Keith and Tina

Comment

After looking at the pictures of the skylight I'm wondering if using washers with the screws might be beneficial. It looks like there is plenty of room to use a small fender washer, and that would distribute the pressure out a lot more on the skylight flange. Doing that and gently fastening the screw should prevent any future cracking.
                    2020 Reflection 273MK
                    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Both of the skylights in my 2021 Solitude 3740BH have the same failures described. The shower skylight seemed like it was confined to the shower but the kitchen skylight ruined the trim and wood ceiling panel (medallion?).

I tried calling GD customer service and after a long hold the call was dumped to voicemail. I also emailed customerservice@granddesignrv.com and shared the pictures but haven’t heard back.
                      I’ve ordered the ICON polycarbonate replacements but will need some help from GD to replace the wood trim and medallion since I can’t source those and have no clue how to match the finish color if I tried to replace it myself.

Last edited by Bivitar; 02-03-2022, 09:11 PM.
                      2021 3740BH-R, Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks, MORryde Pin Box, EMS-HW50C, 3rd AC w/ Heat Pump, Gen Prep
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum CC LB 4x4 SRW, B&W Companion 20k, Timbren Rubber Springs, RetraxPRO XR
                      100W (x4) Rich Solar portable solar, Bluetti AC200, Ecoflow Delta 1300

Comment

Bivitar -- GD experienced a significant winter storm yesterday. Consider trying again (phone call). With a bit of patient persistence I'm confident you'll get a response from Customer Service.
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          Bivitar -- GD experienced a significant winter storm yesterday. Consider trying again (phone call). With a bit of patient persistence I'm confident you'll get a response from Customer Service.
                          Just a heads up on that note due to the storm they're closed today.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Just a heads up on that note due to the storm they're closed today.
                            Thanks howson and ncitro for the info.
                            2021 3740BH-R, Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks, MORryde Pin Box, EMS-HW50C, 3rd AC w/ Heat Pump, Gen Prep
                            2020 Ford F-350 Platinum CC LB 4x4 SRW, B&W Companion 20k, Timbren Rubber Springs, RetraxPRO XR
                            100W (x4) Rich Solar portable solar, Bluetti AC200, Ecoflow Delta 1300

Comment

Working...
                            X