Lippert Entry Door Latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lippert Entry Door Latch

When I went south this spring and the temperature exceeded 90 degrees I could not open the door without excessive pulling on the door edge. I examine the steel door latch plate and it has two pan head screws holding it to the aluminum frame. I could see the lower screw head was digging into the aluminum frame of the door itself. To prevent further trouble opening the door I removed the latch plate and am using the hole in the aluminum frame as the connection point for the door latch to rest against. I know this is not right but when I use the screws to install the steel catch it rubs and makes the door very hard to open and close. Is there a better fix than discarding the latch plate?

Tombrown4902

A picture would be most helpful but I think what you could do is if there are holes in the latch plate and not slots you could get a countersink to use in a drill and countersink the holes slightly to seat the head of the screw a little deeper , you would need flat head screws for this also. Not sure if there is anything else that could be done.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hello, Did you solve this. I have the same issue with my 2019 21BHE. I bought it used and it looks like the previous owner had the same issue and drilled another set of holes in the frame. I removed the latch and it closes fine but I'm wondering what issues I'll have down the road if I don't have the aluminum guard on it. Pictures are below. Thank you.
      Attached Files

Comment

The strike plate serves two basic purposes.

First, it provides a transition ramp for the door bolt to ride on, pressing the bolt back into the handle for smooth closing. Without a strike plate the bolt may have to be manually retracted by turning the handle in order to close the door.

Second it reinforces the pocket for the bolt to prevent tear out. Looking at the photos, without a strike plate it may not take much to force the door open.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I would agree that the strike plate needs to be there. Looking at your photos the factory strike plate looks raised in the middle, I wonder if there would be a flat one available that would not be so close to the door but yet hold the latch well.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If the interference is just between the plastic latch finger on the door and the metal plate on the jamb . . . file the tip of the plastic part until it clears but still latches when released. (This is what I did and the latch has functioned properly like this for years).

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My new rig has this same issue & it is heat related. Cool in the morning the door open & closes fine, as the day heats up the latch on the door contacts the striker plate. I don't know what happens as the door is on the shade side. What I do know is slamming the door to close & pushing hard to open will develop other problems.

I removed the striker plate, flipped it, flatten it & had to open the screw slots. Also the dead bolt opening in the striker plate had to be opened, re installed with shallow head screws & it is no longer contacting.

Not a pretty bit of workmanship, however it is functional & no slamming or pushing required.

If there is an interest in a photo I will & post up.
              Last edited by Dale B; 07-31-2022, 06:31 PM.
              2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
              2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
              2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

Comment

I had the same issue with my new unit. Took off the strike plate and someone drilled 11 holes to try and fix it. Needless to say I took it back to the dealership for replacement.

Comment

I've been in contact with Lippert regarding this & they have been very helpful. They have provided a document that I will link. I've quickly looked @ mine & the trim is nicely sealed to the body. For the time being I do not want to disturb that as I would never do it as nice. My hack repair is working so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0006250.pdf
                  2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
                  2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
                  2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

Comment

Working...
                  X