Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stabilizer Jacks - provided tool or power tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabilizer Jacks - provided tool or power tool?

So - I believe the warranty does not support using a power tool on the stabilizer jacks. However, it seems like most people do use a power tool.

1. What do you use?
    2. Do you think a drill vs a driver would cause any difference? Would a driver potentially damage it where a drill would not?
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Originally posted by bellis View Post
    So - I believe the warranty does not support using a power tool on the stabilizer jacks. However, it seems like most people do use a power tool.

1. What do you use?
    2. Do you think a drill vs a driver would cause any difference? Would a driver potentially damage it where a drill would not?
    I use both. I have a simple Makita drill driver/impact driver. It it is during the day I use it. However if leaving early in the morning I use the hand crank to reduce noise. A good non impact cordless drill will also work. You may need the hand crank to finish the job.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-25-2021, 08:54 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I use a 20v impact driver (Black and Decker but that doesn't matter) and it works like a dream.

Drill you would need to adjust the chuck to allow for a torque limit otherwise it would spin off into oblivion. Which is why I use the Impact Driver. I am smart and do not "lift" the trailer with the stabilizer jacks. I can actually get them tighter with the provided manual tool than the driver due to the way it works.

Side note: I also use the driver for my WDH (Hensley) and that makes a world of difference. I say use the Driver if you have one. Mine was 50-60 bucks and I already had a handful of yard trimmers that used the same ecosystem so thats why I chose it.
      2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
      2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

I have a Dewalt Drill and a Dewalt Driver but I have been using a Dewalt 90 degree drill for the task. Recently - it seems like it just stops and the job is not done. I applied WD-40 to the bolts and am hoping that helps.....

I may have to switch to the driver then.
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

On my TT I used the 18V Ridgid Impact driver. I always stopped and taught her to stop before it starts hammering. Then I would go around and "fine tune" them with the hand crank. Even on the retract, I would lift the front first, then lower the jack and retract the rears. Again No HAMMERING at either extend or retract as this may destroy the roll pin or threads.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

We have been in several CGs over the years where someone has used an impact driver early morning or late evening to the great displeasure of most all other campers. Those folks using a drill are on the nice list as most drills are all very quiet. Drills have all the power one needs trusting stabilizers have been properly maintained/cleaned/etc.

We used an older 18V Craftsman for the 10 season with our previous TT on both front and rear stabilizers to make quick work of the process. A final tug with the manual handle and we were GTG.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I would avoid an "impact" driver . . . in favour of a cordless drill with appropriately set clutch release. As well as the noise factor, an impact driver can do damage before you realize that there is something binding the mechanism. The drill clutch will release, telling you that there is something not right. Finishing the tightening by hand also makes a lot of sense.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                I would avoid an "impact" driver . . . in favour of a cordless drill with appropriately set clutch release. As well as the noise factor, an impact driver can do damage before you realize that there is something binding the mechanism. The drill clutch will release, telling you that there is something not right. Finishing the tightening by hand also makes a lot of sense.

Rob
                I get the noise factor - although, I do not consider the Dewalt Impact driver loud at all. I also would not sit there hammering on it though....

My experience is at the 90 degree drill doesn't have the oomph. Dewalt's tools are all very powerful (not that they are the only brand who makes good tools)....and I could see that the 90 degree version may be weaker than my other Dewalt drill....

Maybe I need to experiment on the next trip a little and see what I think...I like having a dedicated drill left in the camper.
                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

I use the crank handle that came with the trailer. I once watched someone use an impact drill on theirs and the whole assembly came apart on them. Watching them put the ball bearings back into the jack system was enough for me to not want to experience that situation. Plus, my career pretty much means that I work on a computer all day, so I'll use any excuse for some manual work
                  2019 Imagine 2400BH
                  2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I use a Ryobi drill and never take the stabilizers up into the stops. I tried the impact driver when we first got into trailer camping, it worked great except it's noisy. When we leave a campground early ( during quiet hours ) I use the manual hand crank to avoid disturbing people.

John
                    John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                    2017 Jayco 26BH
                    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Like the above, cordless drill w/ adjustable torque to snug. Next day when trailer has settled, hand crank to adjust.
                      Mike & Sonya
                      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                      Blue Ox SwayPro
                      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Well this is embarrassing. I swear I had just charged the battery on the 90 degree drill....I swapped the battery last night just to test with a driver battery that had not been recently charged....the 90 degree drill had no problems at all with a good battery.

Hope you all get a chuckle at my expense on this thread...

Not sure how that could have happened. It had been charged relatively recently...had not been used....and I don't store it with battery attached (although I do on the drill/driver set) and I haven't noticed any issues.
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

I might be a little bit of a tool snob. I use a Snap-On tong reach 3/8 cordless 14.4 volt ratchet. Perfect torque stop up and down with a little manual ratcheting on the down to snug up. Now, IF, we ever set up or take down in a camp ground during quiet time, I would use my cordless Snap-On driver. With my bad back, the ratchet is so easy.
                          Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                          TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
                            I applied WD-40 to the bolts and am hoping that helps.....
                            So WD-40 is a not what people think it is. It's a water dispersal agent with a mild lubricant in it, but when it dries all the lubricant properties are gone. It's not a great long-term lubricant.

You need to use a long term lubricant, like Chain lube, Spray on White Lithium Grease, or Spray on Silicon. The lubricant you use on the slides could be similar, I haven't looked at it too closely. I use spray on White Lithium Grease.

Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post

So WD-40 is a not what people think it is. It's a water dispersal agent with a mild lubricant in it, but when it dries all Oh IU athe lubricant properties are gone. It's not a great long-term lubricant.

You need to use a long term lubricant, like Chain lube, Spray on White Lithium Grease, or Spray on Silicon. The lubricant you use on the slides could be similar, I haven't looked at it too closely. I use spray on White Lithium Grease.
                              Oh I agree about WD-40. I did it because we were just at the beach with the rig and I figured maybe sand/salt....it would help dissolve/rinse that away. I didn't have any illusions that it would grease them.

How often do you think this maintenance (lubing them) needs done?
                              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X