Door Stop on 2021 - 22MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door Stop on 2021 - 22MLE

The door stop appears to be in the wrong place on the door. When we took delivery, the part holding the door was broken. The dealer sent me a new one, but that appears not to work either. I would think the door opener mechanism (the part that holds the door open) should be placed about 24 inches from the hinge and not within one inch. Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

That certainly is not the proper place to have that. I would leave the old on there and attach the new one out further on the door where it should be. Leaving the old one in place will cover the holes.
      Add some silicone to the screws to seal the holes.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

- Can you please share these photos with the factory? The door stop can not physically function when it's mounted like this.

Thanks,

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

So our 2021 22MLE has the same door stop, sort of. They did send you the wrong part. The one they use is a 90 degree door latch. It is mounted near the hinge and keeps the door open at 90 degrees. I did add a second one toward the end of the door so we can keep the door open all the way also.
          Hope this helps,
          Brian
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Door catch.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	56679
          Attached Files
          2018 GMC HD Denali Duramax
          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          Reese Dual-Cam straight-line hitch

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will contact the dealer again and ask for the correct 90 degree opener. And I like the idea of leaving the old one on and putting the newer one out further (more than a 90 degree opening.)

Comment

Dcn. Tom - i know it doesn't solve your issue and you're working on it, but I did share your photos with the factory this morning and they will make changes on future builds.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim
                Hi Jim,

If I read this thread correctly, the trailer quite likely had the correct 90 degree latch from the factory. It was broken and the replacement part provided by the dealer was the incorrect straight link. BTW, these plastic door holders are “fragile” at best. Metal replacements are available that are much stronger and spring loaded to stay latched or folded back. A caution on the metal ones . . . they come in plated steel or stainless steel. The stainless will be 3 times the cost, but will never rust.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for letting the factory know and I appreciate the idea of replacing the unit with a stainless steel one. I will look into securing it. Thanks again.

Comment

I personally like our magnetic door catch combined with the friction hinge on our trailer. Especially with the younger campers who wouldn't think to unlatch the door when closing it. Not sure if the 22mle can support those, but maybe something to look at.
                    2019 Imagine 2400BH
                    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      - Can you please share these photos with the factory? The door stop can not physically function when it's mounted like this.

Thanks,

Jim
                      Thanks for the tag! Yes, I will send these photos over.

Comment

When I went to pick up our 22MLE last Fall, it was slightly above freezing temps. When I went to unhook the stop from the door so I could close the door, the plastic catch just broke off in my hand. The dealer didn't have any 90 degree replacements and I still haven't order a new one. Right now I am relying solely on the friction hinge. I would like to install a new one but further out away from the door hinge, but I am afraid to put new holes in the laminated side wall

Bill M.
                        2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by Dcn. Tom View Post
                          Thanks for the feedback. I will contact the dealer again and ask for the correct 90 degree opener. And I like the idea of leaving the old one on and putting the newer one out further (more than a 90 degree opening.)
                          Were you able to contact your dealer about the part? Are they sending you the correct part? I did verify with the team that it is the incorrect part. If you’d like to email me your information to smservice@granddesignrv.com - attn: Brittany. I will assist you. Thanks!

Comment

After 3 tries the dealer finally sent me the correct "90 degree" part. I plan to install it today or tomorrow. The biggest drawback is that it only keeps the door open 90 degrees and not fully back against the trailer's side (like all our other RVs we have owned). I am tempted to put an additional door stop on the leading edge of the door so that it will open up all the way. I am hoping that will not void any warrantees.

Thanks for your follow up. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Dcn. Tom View Post
                              I am hoping that will not void any warrantees.
                              I do not represent Grand Design, but my experience with the company is that if an owner modification is the cause of a problem, then (naturally) there is no warranty coverage. It is exceptionally rare (in my experience) to run into this situation--most owners know when they've messed something up and don't ask GD to fix what they (the owner) has messed up. There are always exceptions, but as a rule it's true from my perspective.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X