Wood rot by AC, Flex Armor (new roof) installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood rot by AC, Flex Armor (new roof) installed

I regularly go up on the roof to inspect it, clean it, and caulk any places where it has cracked, shrunk or separated from the camper. I found a soft spot in the roof near the air conditioner this past December as we prepared for a 10 week trip to Arizona. The spot is the size of my hand, and it feels like there is nothing below the membrane – there is no structural integrity left in the base plywood. There has not been any sign of leakage into the camper near the AC. I took the camper to a local RV repair shop when we returned home for them to inspect it and estimate how much it would cost to repair. They said the first sheet of plywood around the air conditioner should be replaced (quote $5186.14). They also said there is a good chance the membrane would be damaged when lifting it from the plywood and would have to be replaced (quote to include this $ 10,694.53).

From this forum, I learned about Flex Armor. I investigated it and couldn't find anything negative about it, it looked like a great option to repair and replace the roof at a more reasonable cost than the above quotes. It is also a superior product with a lifetime, transferable, no leak guarantee, no caulking or other maintenance needed, and it is very strong. The only downside is we are 700 miles from the nearest franchise and they are booked 2 to 3 months out. We scheduled the repair, drove to Kansas City, and had the roof repaired by LifeTime RV Roof. Attached are photos documenting what they found on the roof, including the cause of the problem. Photos Roof 2 and 3 all show what was found when they removed the air conditioner – the roofing membrane was not correctly cut when the air conditioner was installed. There is a cut that goes beyond the air conditioner seal. Water entered through this cut and spread around under the membrane, causing the plywood to rot (see photos Roof 4 and 5). It was also a source of leaking that I had in the left rear of the camper (I kept caulking and re-caulking the corner of the roof thinking that was the source). The rotten plywood was removed, the insulation dried out, and new plywood installed (photo Roof 6) and the Flex Armor roof sprayed on (photo Roof 7). This option for the roof is much better, and less costly than reinstalling TPO membrane. The total repair was $5816.20 (which also included a new skylight).

I contacted Grand Design after I got the first quotes. They created a case number, but said the 12 year roof warranty was only for the membrane - ie that water would not go through the membrane. I didn't hear any more from them. I am sending them the above information, hopefully they will accept responsibility for a problem caused by their cutting the membrane while installing the AC.

I am very pleased with the work done by LifeTime RV Roof. They were great explaining the process and answering my many questions. They kept us informed about what they found and how the work was progressing as they repaired the roof. I dropped it off last Tuesday morning and they were done Thursday morning.

Dave

Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 2.jpeg Views:	144 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	56788Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 3.jpeg Views:	85 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	56789Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 4.jpeg Views:	86 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	56790Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 5.jpeg Views:	84 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	56791Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 6.jpeg Views:	90 Size:	69.6 KB ID:	56792Click image for larger version  Name:	Roof 7.jpeg Views:	90 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	56793
    Last edited by howson; 06-12-2021, 07:49 AM. Reason: Added "Flex Armor" to title so search engine finds it.
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Wow. While I am sorry you had to go thru this, it looks like the repair turned out excellent at a reasonable (gulp) price. I hope GD helps you out with this.

Dave
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Dave27
      Hi Dave,

Sorry to learn that you had to go through this . . . but, great write-up and information for the rest of us!

Is the original roof membrane left in place where it is in good shape on the forward part of the roof?

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That is amazing. So many things to keep an eye on. Thank you for the heads up.

John
        John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
        2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
        ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
        2017 Jayco 26BH
        2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Dave27
          Hi Dave,

Sorry to learn that you had to go through this . . . but, great write-up and information for the rest of us!

Is the original roof membrane left in place where it is in good shape on the forward part of the roof?

Rob
          Hi Rob,
          The original membrane was left in the front where it was in good shape and adhering well to the plywood. They spray over the edge, past where the moldings are located. In the front, they went down the cap about six inches past where the membrane ended. Here is a view from the front.
          Dave
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 8.jpeg
Views:	859
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	56901
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

That was a pretty intense ordeal. I would bet that GD will step up a bit. The proof of an improper installation is really important. It will require some patience digging into GD to get to a decision maker. Hopefully it won't get down to litigation. But with the evidence you have, and expert testimony, I think you have a solid case, should you feel the need to go there.

I had some different issues with an SOB. Ended up with a $6000 repair bill. But no evidence of a manufacturer error. So I just ponied up and enjoyed my RV for the next 6 years.

The upside here is your roof looks amazing. I would bet you have zero issues for many years. For me, that would be enough.

Thanks for sharing your positive results from LifeTime RV Roof.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Dave27 ,
              Excellent write-up. I definitely want to get this work done, too, since I plan on keeping my 315RLTS for as long as I continue to RV. (At least that's the plan.)

One of the takeaways from your post that could easily be overlooked is your diligence inspecting the roof possibly prevented even further damage to the RV. Which reminds me...time to get up there and give it a good inspection and wash.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X