Waves in roof material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waves in roof material

I hadn't noticed this before. I can't see anywhere that there may be cracks or any other place for air entry.
    Attached Files
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

You might want to add a long strip of Eternbond tape at the transition from the front cap to the roof covering the Lap Sealant already there. The waves are prevalent on many roofs that I have seen. The Eternabond will add a second barrier to the already existing lap sealant. The current sealant looks fine BTW.
    2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
    1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
    2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
      I hadn't noticed this before. I can't see anywhere that there may be cracks or any other place for air entry.
      The 'wave's may have appeared because of the weather warming up. I have a few spots on my roof that have ripples when it is warm. When the weather the is cooler they are not there. I'm assuming because in cooler weather the TPO shrinks.

I am going to say yours is happening because the adhesive didn't grab the TPO membrane in those areas. Different coefficients of expansion and contraction between the TPO membrane and liquid Alpha sealant are causing the waves. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some more Alpha sealant or Eternabond tape on those areas that are puckering up. They probably aren't leaking but better to be safe than sorry when it comes to water intrusion.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

After reading more info on this I decided to re-visit the thread and ask, isn't the TPO supposed to be glued down? If so, I wouldn't think it should do this.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
          After reading more info on this I decided to re-visit the thread and ask, isn't the TPO supposed to be glued down? If so, I wouldn't think it should do this.
          Yes it is suppose to be glued down. I have seen this process at the factory and they roll a generous coat of the adhesive onto the entire roof. Then roll the roof material all over after laying it on the roof. Unfortunately this is fairly close to the end of the line for the building process. Within 20 or 30 minutes the fully assembled unit is drug outside and of to a parking lot. I do not recall the cure time on the glue or even if I was told but it is longer than the 20 or 30 minutes from assembly. Once outside it may be subject to warm temps or cold temps , this I think is what causes these little ripples. My roof had similar when new and almost all have layed down over the years. there are a couple small ones that are holding out though.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the additional insight, Brian.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Working...
            X