No announcement yet.

Newbie with a possible rain water leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a possible rain water leak?

Good morning All! Just a week ago we picked up our brand new 2021 GD Reflection 150 series 295 RL, and we're in love! Happy to be joining the Fifth wheel community, after seasoning for many years.
    We got her set up, and camped for a couple days in heavy rains.... and last night we found water had collected on the lid of the tote that is sitting in the pass through storage compartment. So trying to find the source, we opened up every faucet inside, and not a single drop of water came down. So we assume it's rain water, but where in the world could it be coming from? Please any and all advice would be appreciated, we're very frustrated and nervous, it's only a week old!

My first guess would be a leaking shower door. The caulk job that GD does on these is less than adequate. Look for gaps in the joint where the horizontal and vertical rails meet as well as the joint inside the shower between the rail and the enclosure. We also had a leak at the faucet in the shower. Water runs out of the weep hole in the hose connection and then gets behind the cover and into the wall. Look in the compartment for "witness" mark of water intrusion. If you see anything damp you can follow it upwards and try to find the source. The faucet in the shower is a pretty easy removal to look behind the wall but without looking at mine I cant recall off hand how it comes apart. All 4 trailers we have owned have leaked there.

How close to the side of the trailer was the water found ? If it was against the outer wall I would say its an exterior leak, if its away from the wall and near the shower area I would look in that direction.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Thank you so much, we will take a look!

Comment

One other thing I had happen to me is the door itself is not sealed to the side of the unit. In my case it resulted in the plastic tray filling with water.

If you have a Schwintech slide out, check the inboard ends of the AL guide rails during and after a rain. Feel the floor under it as water runs down the al rails on my unit and drips inside on occasion.

From Experience, water is almost never found where the leak actually is. You will have to chase it.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

We had a strange leak...it would only happen when we were driving while it was raining, or during a torrential downpour. On our trailer there are 2 strings of LED lights on the front cap. Where the left string came through the cap, the caulking wasn't completely covering the hole. The water would enter through that hole, then slide down the front wall and pool on the bedroom countertop against the front wall.

We also had a strange leak in our bathroom.....just the wall behind the toilet would get damp when we had torrential downpours. Well, the black tank vent was behind that panel. When the rain was pouring, it would bounce off the roof and get into the vent cover on the roof. Normally this wouldn't be an issue....but the hole in the roof around the vent pipe was not sealed properly so the water would collect around the exterior f the pipe and drop down against the wall of the bathroom.

So..it could be anything Good luck!

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by al&chrissy View Post
            Good morning All! Just a week ago we picked up our brand new 2021 GD Reflection 150 series 295 RL, and we're in love! Happy to be joining the Fifth wheel community, after seasoning for many years.
            We got her set up, and camped for a couple days in heavy rains.... and last night we found water had collected on the lid of the tote that is sitting in the pass through storage compartment. So trying to find the source, we opened up every faucet inside, and not a single drop of water came down. So we assume it's rain water, but where in the world could it be coming from? Please any and all advice would be appreciated, we're very frustrated and nervous, it's only a week old!

If you're able, crawl up on the roof and inspect every seam (closely). Given the water was found in the passthru, first place I'd look is the joint where the cap meets the roof. Then there will be a vent and the air conditioner.

Please post pics if you find anything suspect.

Oh--and use self-leveling Alpha sealant if you choose to seal anything you find yourself. Also known as Superflex.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here is an update, we've isolated it to think it is indeed the shower. But it doesn't drop water DURING the shower, it takes like 10-12 minutes conservatively, to start dripping. We experienced showers during no rain and got the leak, and we cut off the city water and during rain- no leak. We weren't waiting long enough for the drops to come down, assumed they would happen instantaneously. But by process of elimination, we found that out. I attached some photos. I don't know what to do from here, I guess just take it back to the dealer? Or is there something easy we can do? Ugh. :-( Thank you again everyone!

Comment

al&chrissy

If there is a panel to remove in the shower to get to the fittings on the back of the control handles you could check there for the leak, there may also be a removable panel in the closet in the bedroom to access these fittings. It is just my guess but I believe that the fittings on the back of the shower controls are leaking, one or both.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by al&chrissy View Post
                  Here is an update, we've isolated it to think it is indeed the shower. But it doesn't drop water DURING the shower, it takes like 10-12 minutes conservatively, to start dripping. We experienced showers during no rain and got the leak, and we cut off the city water and during rain- no leak. We weren't waiting long enough for the drops to come down, assumed they would happen instantaneously. But by process of elimination, we found that out. I attached some photos. I don't know what to do from here, I guess just take it back to the dealer? Or is there something easy we can do? Ugh. :-( Thank you again everyone!
                  There will be an access panel as Country Campers Brian describes. I suspect that the leak may be coming from a cracked faucet assembly. If the fittings were leaking, the drip would appear all the time, not just after a shower. It may just take a while for water to work its way down after a shower. Check for leaks from the faucet assembly with the faucets open (turn off the valve at the shower head)

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

al&chrissy What is your pressure coming into your trailer? There an elbow under our shower that will leak if the pressure is above 50 psi.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

We had a shower leak when we first used our shower years ago. The water dripped from the same area onto our floor. When I smelled the water, I could smell soap and suspected the shower. It turned out that our doors lower track was not sealed at the corner at the wall. Easy fix to clean and seal the door track.

The water in your pictures appears to be fresh clean water. Brian's thoughts about the connections at the hot and/or cold leaking seems on target. However, if you used your black tank flush, it may be that as well.

Here's what our removal panel area of of shower looks like along with pictures of the connections behind it for the shower hot and cold. You may have the same or something similar. You can also see our black tank flush vacuum breaker check valve and connections. While tight quarters, you s/b able to reach them and ensure all tight. I would check by running water to see what you can see before you tighten to confirm the leaking point(s.)

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                        al&chrissy What is your pressure coming into your trailer? There an elbow under our shower that will leak if the pressure is above 50 psi.
                        Not meaning to derail this conversation, but a properly assembled water system will hold well past 50 psi. There is an assumption that the setting of an inlet water regulator or the output pressure of the onboard water pump is the maximum that the plumbing system will see. Because of check valves on both these sources, the pressure within a closed RV plumbing system can climb well past this. Anyone who has installed a "system" water pressure gauge can verify this. The main cause for this, is water expansion caused by the water heater. When the expansion air space in the water heater gets absorbed into the water, the water heater pressure relief valve will begin to spit/drip. It takes 140 psi water system pressure to cause this .

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Since he's stating it happens after a shower, I would suggest that he check the shower head hose. There have been reports of these leaking water. It could be possible that this is sending water down the lines. Worse that that would be that the faucet is cracked upstream of the handles.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

After seeing all this I would bet money that the water is getting in from the faucet. The cover does not seal well over the plastic body of the faucet and allows water to get behind it. I recall mine having a cap on each handle, if you pop them off there is a screw holding the handle to the valve. Remove the handle and the trim piece and the cover will come off. There will likely be witness marks on the wall and floor behind the faucet.
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              Since he's stating it happens after a shower, I would suggest that he check the shower head hose. There have been reports of these leaking water. It could be possible that this is sending water down the lines. Worse that that would be that the faucet is cracked upstream of the handles.
                              Joseph - since the shower head hose is inside the shower, I'm missing how a leak there can get behind the shower stall. I need a little help understanding this. Maybe the newer 303s have a different setup than our vintage 303s.

Thanks,

Dan
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                              X