Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busted Big Window, Suppliers? Installation Pit Falls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted Big Window, Suppliers? Installation Pit Falls?

I am mowing the grass when DW comes racing out of the RV waving her arms and yelling. Of course I can't hear her, so I shut the mower down to see what the fuss is about. The mower threw a rock at the big window on the Kitchen slide, yup, the 70" window, the most expensive window in the RV. It was really cool looking with the impact point fanning out into a billion cracks. Little chunks of glass laying below. And it was making noises, little crackling noises.

I figured the whole thing was about to drop. So I grabbed a tarp and laid it out below the window to catch glass. Then I grabbed the ladder and a roll of masking tape and very gently covered the window in masking tape. At least I wont have a billion little pieces of glass to pick up. Ok, excitement is over. Window is busted. Time for this cupcake to man up and figure out the best strategy for replacing the window.

I started with GD customer support, what are the dimensions of the window? Got that and a part number. I was transferred to parts, $1340 and approximately $140 shipping. After DW broke out the smelling salts I started looking around for RV windows. I could find lots of smaller ones, no 70" x 46". Only LCI. Then I remembered there was a recall on windows, looked that up, nope, it affected 2020 models mine is a 2017. So much for getting someone else to pay for it.

Insurance claim? Could go that route. I have Progressive. I'll have to look, I think they have some kind of accident forgiveness clause. But I have a $1000 deductible. If it worth it? I'll run it by my CFO as soon as she gets over being annoyed.

Can't I just replace the piece that is broken? It's a dual pane window, only the top outside glass is broken. That's going to take some more research, initial research says no, replace the entire thing.

Okay, nothing I am going to get fixed soon. I decided the masking tape wasn't going to hold up when we move the RV, plus it's pretty ugly. So I covered the broken section with Gorilla Tape, still ugly, just not as ugly and pretty strong looking.

Next step. Talk to some dealers service managers to see if they have options. Maybe they can fix just the broken piece, maybe they have a supplier of windows... Maybe they can actually make the repair before winter sets in, I'll just have to do some talking next week. I'll have to call some glass companies also. I am not thinking these efforts will bear fruit but you don't know if you don't try.

So lets say that all fails, I order the replacement window, it'' take about a month to arrive. In looking at the replacement procedure you unscrew all the little screws around the edge, pull the frame off the inside, then go outside and slide the window out of the whole. Clean the edges of the whole. Get the insulation stuff and put it around the edge of the hole, push the new window into the hole, then go inside and set the inside frame then screw all the little screws back in. Caulk. Simple right. What could go wrong?

This will be my first ever RV window replacement. So while the u tube videos make it look simple I know that I can mess it up, I just don't know how I am going to mess it up yet. I am pretty sure I will either end up taking it a dealer to do the work or hiring a mobile tech because that's a big window, I am not sure I can lift it. DW is pretty strong and she will help. I guess I will just have to have the window in hand before I decide.

Any one have tips, tricks, gotchas, advice?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenWindow.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	58949

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
    File under, "Well that sucks."

My .02: if you go the insurance route, isn't the labor for the install covered as part of the overall cost? If you're going to have to drop $1K anyway, why not have a mobile technician or service dealer (you trust) install it? You've got plenty of time to interview prospective mechanics. Cut corners or mess up the install of a new window and your CFO will be more than just a little upset.

I know that suggestion to have someone else do the work may seem strange from yours truly as most everything that's been done on my trailer has been done by me...but sometimes, for the only-going-to-do-it-once installs, it's better to just pony up the $, sip a cool drink in the shade, and watch them do the work.

Please follow up as you go along.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

There are RV surplus stores right around White Pigeon Michigan, just a mile or so above GD , Bontrager's comes to mind. These places buy up the "not used" items when manufactures change a model or discontinue a model. Check those places for the window size and style you need , worth a shot any how. I am not sure if a glass place can fix that or not. You may also contact Lippert , I believe that they make the windows , they may help or at least say that the window can or can not be fixed. Begging pleading and crying like a baby never hurts also.........

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A good glass company should be able to fix you up. They may need to pull the frame (mark it so it goes back in the same) and you may get a better window - actual sealed double pane.

Report back on how it goes.

Short term fix for travel is remove broken pane, and get a piece of plexiglass, cut to fit and seal in with silicone. You can cut it out with a gig saw, but use a very fine blade and go slow.

Good luck
        Keith
        Last edited by howson; 06-27-2021, 02:07 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson I have no issue paying for someone more skilled than I to do the work. It's a big window and I cannot see myself wrestling it by myself. And once I get it all figured out an insurance claim may or may not happen. LOL, and I have never been comfortable just watching someone work. I guess I am like a little kid in that regard. At least no one has duct taped me to a post to keep me out of the way...Yet.

Country Campers I hadn't thought of used RV places etc. Good idea, searching today calling tomorrow.

Yoda "Short term fix for travel is remove broken pane". That got me to thinking. I did not remove the shattered pane, I taped it up, twice. But I wonder if the shattered glass will fall out then I travel. Not going far 100 miles. Then set for 2 months. But still, throwing 40 pounds of shattered glass at my fellow commuters is not something I want to do, or even take a change on.

The plexiglass may not even be needed. It's a dual pane window, the inner pane is intact. I wish I new how those outer panes were secured, just glued? Maybe just for fun I will go yank on a piece of tape and see what happens.

Probably a better idea would to spend some time on the phone with LCI tech support and maybe a glass place or two.

Comment

d2reid Thought I would help out a little.

White Pigeon, Mi has 2 good RV Surplus Stores:
            1. Bontraggers RV Surplus
            2. Johnston’s RV Surplus
            I would say, Bontraggers is the best bet here, but you never know.

In Hudson Mi, there is “RV Outfitters”. This just changed hands from Tri-State RV Surplus and I have not been in there yet (15 minutes away from them) to see what they have since the new owners.

Good Luck,

Steve
            Steve
            2018 Reflection 303
            2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

d2reid what's the verdict on the window? The panels may be held in with a rubber gasket, glue, or who knows what else. I would think they are glued in place. Double pane should be nitrogen filled, even though you broke the outer one, both will need to be replaced. Most window (home) can order dual pane glass, just need to ensure it's tempered for safety.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                [USER="2234"] what's the verdict on the window?
                The final final verdict won't be in for 6 weeks, that's how long it takes to get a window this size.

I called around a few dealers and they would all have to order the window and they quoted me the same MSRP that I got from GD. $1342. I called a couple of glass places and they don't work on RV's. I called 5 different surplus places across the US and they didn't have that sized window and didn't know where to find one. I called LCI customer support to see if my unit was in the window recall they had, nope. So I called again and spoke with tech support to see if it was possible to replace just the glass portion. Had I smashed one of the lower windows that open it could have been repaired. And no, you cannot repair the upper window. The only option is to replace the entire window. Sigh!

Then the tech lady asked me if I was the Dallas that posts on Lippert Scouts FB page, I said yes, she put me on hold for a minute or two. Then came back and told me that she had gotten me a discount should I want order the window. I thought about the whole thing for a day and then Friday I ordered the window. A little over $800 including freight. It pays to be nice to folks and tell them funny stories about some of the dumb stuff I do.

It takes about 4 week for them to build the window. It's not something anyone carries in stock. Then it will take another two weeks to ship, it has to be crated and shipped freight LTL. We are headed over to an RV park, Barbara has taken a job in the office, kind of a trial period for us to see about changing from rovers to snow birds, see if we can stand it. So we will be there for enough time to get the window, I hope.

Barbara talked with her boss and they said it would be fine if we had some packages mailed to us at the RV park. So it's going to be real interesting when the freight company roles up with a big truck and a really big window in a crate. That is one really big package. One I get the shipping info I plan on contacting the freight company to see if I can pick the window up at a transfer point, I don't want to rude to the folks at the RV park. But if I can't make that happen then it'll be an interesting day when they deliver it.

If I can't find some handy good ole' boys in the park to give me a hand with it I will hire a mobile tech to help. So it will be late September before the final answer. But at least I have a plan.

One question that came up was if I wanted to order the window trim ring as well. The told me that the one from the window is reusable if it is removed gingerly and not damaged. I am kind of second guessing that decision today, I know how clumsy I am, and the old trim may not fit the new window exactly. I will stew on this for a couple of more days as no one will be around until Tuesday earliest.

Comment

New window is on the way. I am researching the installation process and trying to find out what kind of sealant to use on the exterior frame. Anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

New window is on the way. I am researching the installation process and trying to find out what kind of sealant to use on the exterior frame. Anyone have any experience with this?
                    Only two that likely have done this themselves are colan and a retired RV Tech (can't remember his forum name).

RVGeeks is (normally) a reputable video source for information.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yahoo the window has arrived. Funny, the shipping invoice said 20 pounds. The window weighs approximately 120 pounds. I was quite worried that the wrong thing would show up, it was the right thing. I fussed over whether or not I should have gotten the inner ring also, I have been assured by several that if we are careful it will be ok. I have watched a ton of you tube videos. First thing of note, most are framed windows, this one is a frameless window, different animals.

Researching window seals. Back to framed and frameless. I finally called GD and asked, closed cell double sided window sealant. Don't use Butyl, it gets hot and runs and makes a big mess.

Width? No information from GD. I will pull the window out tomorrow to check, it's currently in a box under the RV. Initial assessment is 1/2 inch. Alignment clips are on the window, I have no idea how they work, but they are there.

I have been very unsuccessful in getting help to put the window in. Dealers are backed up at least 3 months, mobile techs don't even answer inquiry's, except for the one that has stage 4 lung cancer, he left a message that he is sorry but he will not be available....

A buddy is blowing into town, little does he know what all that free steak and hooch is going to cost him.....

Comment

Learning a lot. Butyl type sealant is not recommended because when it gets hot it runs and is a mess to clean up. Closed cell foam tape is recommended. There is also a huge difference in installing a frameless window vs a framed window.

GD parts list SEAL WINDOW RIBBED FOAM W/ 1/2" PSA 1000'/ROLL as the product to use. Now to find out if it single or double sided adhesive. 1000', lol I only need about 25 feet. I wonder how thick it is?

Comment

d2reid

Dallas

I have reached out to GD to see if they can give some info on the proper foam seal, will let you know what I find out.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

d2reid
                            Hi Dallas,

Have you tried a local window manufacturing/replacement company? I would think that this type of closed cell foam strip would be fairly standard.

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Learning a lot. Butyl type sealant is not recommended because when it gets hot it runs and is a mess to clean up. Closed cell foam tape is recommended. There is also a huge difference in installing a frameless window vs a framed window.

GD parts list SEAL WINDOW RIBBED FOAM W/ 1/2" PSA 1000'/ROLL as the product to use. Now to find out if it single or double sided adhesive. 1000', lol I only need about 25 feet. I wonder how thick it is?
                              I reached out to GD and they replied that the part you are looking at is correct , part # 580023. You more than likely will be able to buy what length you need. I could not find out much more than that. From the description I would guess that "PSA" means single adhesive , meaning adhesive on one side. This is how one of my vendors lists their adhesive back rubber sheets.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X