Awning Pulling Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning Pulling Away

My awning is starting to pull away on the ends, it is still well attached but I can see the sealant behind the main horizontal piece. I saw a old post on the other boards where TucsonJim and some others mentioned replacing the screws with Molly rivets, how has that held up, and is that still the recommended solution?

Something like these?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
    My awning is starting to pull away on the ends, it is still well attached but I can see the sealant behind the main horizontal piece. I saw a old post on the other boards where TucsonJim and some others mentioned replacing the screws with Molly rivets, how has that held up, and is that still the recommended solution?

Something like these?

Neil can you take a few photos? I used what are called plusnuts on my bowed awning repair. Information can be found here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Neil can you take a few photos? I used what are called plusnuts on my bowed awning repair. Information can be found here https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-screws-repair
      Your repair came to mind, but I remembered yours being on the vertical supports, this is the horizontal. Here's a couple photos of the front end, but the rear is doing similar. Not leaking yet, just had a pretty big rain storm come through and it was bone dry, but obviously pulling away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33FF42CC-0832-46A1-A241-4CD27896F3BA.jpeg
Views:	1078
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	59225
      Click image for larger version

Name:	53155846-4027-4AF2-8BD1-399FFD667F4A.jpeg
Views:	1017
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	59226
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Neil

Unfortunately the awning track is only fastened to the wall on the upper side above where the fabric attaches. This could allow for the bottom part to separate from the side wall. If you remove the plastic insert on the rail above the awning and check the screws for tightness, or looseness. Ours has a small part that has been there since 1 year old, I should probably check to see if it has gotten worse but we do not have the awning out much. It is a poor design and should have screw attachment under the awning fabric as well.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          Neil

Unfortunately the awning track is only fastened to the wall on the upper side above where the fabric attaches. This could allow for the bottom part to separate from the side wall. If you remove the plastic insert on the rail above the awning and check the screws for tightness, or looseness. Ours has a small part that has been there since 1 year old, I should probably check to see if it has gotten worse but we do not have the awning out much. It is a poor design and should have screw attachment under the awning fabric as well.

Brian
          Yeah from Jim's post in the other forum I saw the attachment is at the top. His screws were all stripped out, and the factory suggested using the rivets instead. I'm on the road right now but figure when we get home at the end of this week I'll pull the plastic off and see if I can tighten the screws or not.

Neil Citro

Comment

I think they were called Moly Rivets, will do some searching as I thought I saved those in my favorites but can not find it.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Here is a post that mentions the rivets , Oscar Rivets , 2019 2600RB Awning Problems - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Here they are on the web Dometic 113008P 3/16" Diameter Oscar Rivet, (Pack of 6), Awnings, Screens & Accessories - Amazon Canada

Similar to what you have found.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Something like these?

Neil,

I had both ends of my awning begin pulling away and contacted Grand Design during my warranty period. They sent me a handful of the tri-fold rivets similar to what you referenced, however I can't remember the actual length of the rivets used. Pretty simple repair to remove the stripped screws and drill out the screw hole to accept the rivet. It has been over a year and everything is still tight.

Brian
                Brian
                2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
                2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Thanks Brian and Brian, that's kind of what I figured. Glad to hear yours are still tight that's really what I was wondering. I'll get it pulled apart when I get home and see how tight they are and get some ordered.

Neil Citro

Comment

Mike, I appreciate it. I considered using propane as a secondary fuel source. I have a parallel kit for two General GP2200i generators. Will I be able to run everything on my, including the air conditioning? 22mle. A 30 amp RV plug is included with the parallel kit.
                    2 player games

Comment

Count me in for the same areas pulling away slightly. Does the awning have to come out or can these rivets go on the ends?
                      2018 337RLS
                      720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
                      disc brakes, ems

Comment

Originally posted by talleychan View Post
                        Mike, I appreciate it. I considered using propane as a secondary fuel source. I have a parallel kit for two General GP2200i generators. Will I be able to run everything on my, including the air conditioning? 22mle. A 30 amp RV plug is included with the parallel kit.
                        2 player games
                        Not sure that this is the correct thread for your post. Please let me know and I can move it.

Thanks
                        Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
                          Count me in for the same areas pulling away slightly. Does the awning have to come out or can these rivets go on the ends?
                          Jims94vmx Jim's

The awning does not have to be removed to make this repair. The channel where the screws are located is above the awning fabric so it will not be in your way. Luckily mine was only separating from the ends so I only replaced the last three screws on each end with rivets. I opened the awning about 6 inches to release some of the tension and then worked on one screw at a time.

Brian
                          Brian
                          2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

ncitro nitro

I located the rivets sent to me by Grand Design and they are similar to these. They are standard 3/16" rivets with the larger 5/8" head and 7 /8" long rivet body.

Brian
                            Brian
                            2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Originally posted by Retgw2 View Post
                              ncitro nitro

I located the rivets sent to me by Grand Design and they are similar to these. They are standard 3/16" rivets with the larger 5/8" head and 7 /8" long rivet body.

Brian
                              Thanks Brian but that link is broken for me.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                              X