Imagine XLS front cap care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine XLS front cap care

So Deb and I have a new XLS 17MKE and I'm not thrilled with the front cap. It's metallic and I'm assuming aluminum. I don't think it's painted but I haven't tried scratching the surface to see . Anyway, I haven't tried to put anything on it yet other than my beloved Wash Wax All and it not only didn't look good but it streaked terribly and looked terrible, because I'm not sure what to use. I don't want to apply some product that I will regret later when I have to try and strip it off.

So, first off, does anyone know exactly what the cap is made of and how it is presented (in other words is it painted or what?).

Secondly, what can we safely apply to keep it looking nice and protect it from the sun?

I've asked on other forums and people are putting all kinds of stuff on there and easy research on the product websites say it's not for use on metallic surfaces.

Thanks for your input
    Paul and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

If it's polished aluminum you can try this stuff: https://sharkhidestore.com

When you get a chance check out the moderators welcome letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Please see post #1. This member is wondering the finish on the front cap of their Imagine XLS and what to keep it clean and protected , wax?

Thanks
      Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post
        So Deb and I have a new XLS 17MKE and I'm not thrilled with the front cap. It's metallic and I'm assuming aluminum. I don't think it's painted but I haven't tried scratching the surface to see . Anyway, I haven't tried to put anything on it yet other than my beloved Wash Wax All and it not only didn't look good but it streaked terribly and looked terrible, because I'm not sure what to use. I don't want to apply some product that I will regret later when I have to try and strip it off.

So, first off, does anyone know exactly what the cap is made of and how it is presented (in other words is it painted or what?).

Secondly, what can we safely apply to keep it looking nice and protect it from the sun?

I've asked on other forums and people are putting all kinds of stuff on there and easy research on the product websites say it's not for use on metallic surfaces.

Thanks for your input
        The front cap is laminated - the same as the walls. We recommend to follow the exterior care instructions in the owner's manual. I have attached that for you. Exterior care starts on page 148.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Brittany View Post

The front cap is laminated - the same as the walls. We recommend to follow the exterior care instructions in the owner's manual. I have attached that for you. Exterior care starts on page 148.
          Ahh, I'm sorry but at the risk of sounding rude, I don't think so! You're telling me that the front cap of my XLS 17MKE, not a regular Imagine which does have a laminate fiberglass cap, is laminate just like me side walls? That can't be correct. It's a metallic material, I suspect it's aluminum similar to the trailer skirts but I don't thin there's any way it's fiberglass laminate like the side walls.
          Paul and Deb Cervone
          2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Paul & Deb amp;

Hi Paul,
            We are following up on this . . . we will get you the correct information.
            Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I believe Paul & Deb is talking about the lower section that GD calls diamond plate, not the upper cap. It seems to be made of aluminum but not the diamond plate like most of us know it, Click image for larger version

Name:	20210709_073942.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	60064 Not sure what to clean it with as I am taking my Imagine for it's first outing next week.
              2021 Imagine 2610ML
              2021 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE 4WD Crew Cab Duramax 6.6 liter Diesel Allison Transmission

Comment

That looks like the same J wrap aluminum that i had on my previous TT and Previous non GD 5er. It's just painted aluminum with a rolled pattern in it.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

This is the front of our XLS 22mle which is probably the same as the 17mke. The top part does appear to be aluminum.

2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                  2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                  Andersen WDH
                  Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                  2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                  2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Thanks Rob, I look forward to what you find. BTW, I am not talking about the lower panel that looks like a mock diamond plate, I am talking about the upper 2 panels.

Paul and Deb Cervone
                    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Hi Paul,

Further follow-up with Grand Design leads to the following information from the XLS owners manual. This addresses when and how to clean the front cap, but does not recommend any type of wax or protective finish. This could be because of the texture of the painted finish.

The XLS has a .04 aluminum on the front of the unit. It has a baked-on, painted finish designed to last for many years.
                      Periodic maintenance is necessary to keep the appearance looking good.

There is an increased chance of damage to the exterior finish, the longer a foreign substance remains on the surface. Frequent washing and waxing is the best way to protect your RV from this damage.
                      The following materials deposited on the RV's surface may result in corrosion, staining, and/or chemical spotting:
                      • Road Tar, Dirt, and Dust
                      • Road Salt and Sodium Chloride
                      • Bird Droppings / Bugs / Tree Sap
                      • Acid Rain / Industrial Fallout / Pollution
                      • UV Exposure and Moisture

Cleaning the Exterior
                      Frequent washing also protects your RV from environmental conditions, such as rain, snow and salt air.
                      • Wash your RV as soon as possible if it becomes contaminated with foreign material.
                      • Avoid parking under trees or near ocean sea salt.
                      • DO NOT scrape ice or snow from the painted surface, ALWAYS brush off the affected area.
                      • If anti-freeze, gasoline or any solvents are spilled on the painted surface, rinse the area with water immediately.
                      • Bugs and bird droppings should be rinsed off daily.

Avoid forcing water inside the RV, which could possibly damage component parts. Extreme caution should be used with any type of pressure sprayer around all attachments, doors, windows, appliance vents, etc.:
                      • DO NOT take your RV through automatic car washes.
                      • Keep the washing nozzle about 16 inches (40 cm) or more away from the RV body.
                      • When washing around the door, vent and glass areas, hold the nozzle at right angles to the surface.

Dirt and Similar Surface Contaminants
                      The paint surface is formulated to resist most mild cleaners and fresh water. Frequent washing will help avoid staining from debris and soil build up.
                      • ALWAYS rinse the RV with clear water to remove loose dirt prior to washing.
                      • Mix a solution of one (1) cup laundry detergent (with less than 0.5% phosphate) per five (5) gallons of water.
                      • Use a sponge, soft cloth, or soft bristle brush. Clean RV from the top, working your way down, one area at a time then immediately rinse with fresh water.
                      • Take care not to scratch the painted surface.

Hope this helps . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Hi Paul,

Further follow-up with Grand Design leads to the following information from the XLS owners manual. This addresses when and how to clean the front cap, but does not recommend any type of wax or protective finish. This could be because of the texture of the painted finish.

The XLS has a .04 aluminum on the front of the unit. It has a baked-on, painted finish designed to last for many years.
                        Periodic maintenance is necessary to keep the appearance looking good.

Hope this helps . . .

Rob
                        Okay, so it does have an aluminum surface. That's the first confirmation I've received and I appreciate it. I love how it skirts the question of what to use on the surface other than "wax frequently". DUH! I need to do some research on the best "wax" to use on painted aluminum surfaces. Maybe it's the same as the siding but somehow I doubt it because using Wax All on the cap looks like crap but, as always, looks great on the fiberglass siding. I was going to use my Mequires and some other stuff I have used but it all says for Gel-coat surfaces. I'll keep looking before I just start throwing stuff on it.

Thanks for checking.
                        Paul and Deb Cervone
                        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I’ve been using mother’s ceramic spray ,amazing stuff I spray it on everything.the bugs come off the cap very easy!BEEN USING IT OVER A YEAR NOW.GOOD PROTECTANT,NO ISSUES, mothers CMX
                          2020 Momentum 25G
                          2017 F250 gasser
                          Jimmy Virginia Beach ,Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonguy View Post
                            I’ve been using mother’s ceramic spray ,amazing stuff I spray it on everything.the bugs come off the cap very easy!BEEN USING IT OVER A YEAR NOW.GOOD PROTECTANT,NO ISSUES, mothers CMX
                            I wanted to return to this to thank you so much for your recommendation. I got it, used it and love it! It worked just as you said and the front of the trailer looks much better. I'm still not a fan of the caps on these XLS models and, just as GD did with the original Imagine line, I suspect they will eventually improve them, but for now, it looks presentable so thanks!

I've got 2 coats on so far and will continue "stacking" them so I know it will only get better.
                            Paul and Deb Cervone
                            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsonguy View Post
                              Thanks, for sharing this. I am going to try this too. Scrubbing bugs off the front cap is one of the things that really "bugs" me about 4 decades of RV enjoyment.

Dan
                              Dan & Carol
                              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                              X