Water Leaking in Behind Awning - What Caulk to Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Leaking in Behind Awning - What Caulk to Use

I have a 2018 Imagine 3170 BH, and it's starting to leak in behind the awning where it connects to the side. I assume I just need to get a bead of caulk up there but was wondering what type you all suggest? I also have some water coming in from behind the Outdoor kitchen door flap, and I would assume I would use the same there?

Any and all suggestions will be helpful.

Bill

2018 Imagine 3170BH
    2013 Chevy Silverado 1500

Silver Years
    Hi Bill,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . I see that you have already figured out how to populate your signature section.

Things attached to the outside walls are often bedded on a butyl tape and/or sealed around the perimeter with clear silicone. The problem with "repairing" silicone is that nothing sticks to old silicone . . . not even new silicone. The path by which water will get into the wall structure is through the screw holes. A method to resolve what you describe is to remove each screw, inject some silicone into the hole, coat the screw generously with silicone and reinstall it.

Any clear silicone will work, although bathroom versions have an additive that prevents mold . . . at least for a little while.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Silver Years When you pull and replace the screws, replace them by hand as it's possible with a power driver to strip the hole in the side of the unit.

Door and window caulking are good options, see if you can find something like a DAP Extreme Stretch as it will have more elongation before failure. I've used this stuff around the house and really like it. Will most likely use it on the camper when the time comes.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Was not thinking I had to unscrew each screw. The water is dripping down the outside of the camper - not the interior walls, does that matter?
        Bill

2018 Imagine 3170BH

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Silver Years When you pull and replace the screws, replace them by hand as it's possible with a power driver to strip the hole in the side of the unit.

Door and window caulking are good options, see if you can find something like a DAP Extreme Stretch as it will have more elongation before failure. I've used this stuff around the house and really like it. Will most likely use it on the camper when the time comes.
          +1 on the Dap Extreme Stretch.
          Brent, Krista, and our 6 year old nugget
          Cruising with two Black Labs, Lestat and Pandora
          2021 Ram 3500 Dually Long Bed 4X4 HO Cummins (Blue Sapphire)
          2021 Imagine 3110BH (The Dog House)

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Years View Post
            Was not thinking I had to unscrew each screw. The water is dripping down the outside of the camper - not the interior walls, does that matter?
            Hi Bill.

I misunderstood your question. The caution on trying to apply any sealant over old silicone caulking still applies. If you are trying to repair a water entry point that was previously sealed, you will have to clean the area very carefully first. (Silicone remover or WD-40). If this is a location that was never sealed, no special pre-cleaning should be required.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There is a seam in the gutter that the awning attaches to , this is probably the leak area on the outside behind the awning and typical. Clean the area very well and dry then use some clear silicone. This is a bugger of an area to seal so you may not get it right the first time. As far as water getting into the outside kitchen , watch the top center of the frame as you open and close the door , if this is moving it is likely that is where the water is getting in. I had this problem with our kitchen and tried to reseal the whole frame before I found the movement. While and a Rally the techs recommended that there be 2 screws placed about 4" apart on the top center of the frame. This has stopped the leak. I also put a piece of sticky back foam , 1/2" thick , on the inside of the frame where the top of the door rests.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

There is a seam in the gutter that the awning attaches to , this is probably the leak area on the outside behind the awning and typical. Clean the area very well and dry then use some clear silicone. This is a bugger of an area to seal so you may not get it right the first time...
                Brian

"Country Campers" do I have to have the awning open all the way to get to it?
                Bill

2018 Imagine 3170BH

Comment

Silver Years Bill, you will most likely need to extend the awning just enough to allow access to both sides of the seam (1' or less). I suggest you clean both sides of the seam. Brian may have insight, but you may want to seal both sides of the seam increasing the chances of sealing it on the first attempt.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

"Country Campers" do I have to have the awning open all the way to get to it?
                    Yes as Joseph has mentioned above extend the awning a foot or so that way you can see the bottom as well as the top.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Silver Years Welcome to the family and the forum!

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Silver Years
                        Hi Bill,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . I see that you have already figured out how to populate your signature section.

Things attached to the outside walls are often bedded on a butyl tape and/or sealed around the perimeter with clear silicone. The problem with "repairing" silicone is that nothing sticks to old silicone . . . not even new silicone. The path by which water will get into the wall structure is through the screw holes. A method to resolve what you describe is to remove each screw, inject some silicone into the hole, coat the screw generously with silicone and reinstall it.

Any clear silicone will work, although bathroom versions have an additive that prevents mold . . . at least for a little while.

Rob
                        That's what I did, I removed every screw along the roof slides back etc. Filled the holes with dicor re-installed stainless screws instead of the junk Gd used. went one size up and 1/4 longer no stripped ones nice and tight.

Comment

I am still on the honeymoon with my new TT and have a very similar issue. Matter of fact, I see daylight coming though the gutter so they are sectional. If I didn't have to worry about expansion then I would use a bit of aluminum tape top and bottom or eternabond. Forget silicone because if you have to redo it....as Rob mentioned above....you gotta remove all traces of it for good bonding. There is a product that I use to seal my exterior windows......it expands very nicely, seals very well, and if you make a mistake...you can pull it off.

It is call Flextra in Canada I think it is made by Mulco. However use the industrial one.....the one that window installers use and not what is sold at the hardware store. Not quite the same product.

Pierre
                          Pierre & Tara
                          2021 Imagine 2600RB
                          2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
                          1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsky View Post
                            I am still on the honeymoon with my new TT and have a very similar issue. Matter of fact, I see daylight coming though the gutter so they are sectional. If I didn't have to worry about expansion then I would use a bit of aluminum tape top and bottom or eternabond. Forget silicone because if you have to redo it....as Rob mentioned above....you gotta remove all traces of it for good bonding. There is a product that I use to seal my exterior windows......it expands very nicely, seals very well, and if you make a mistake...you can pull it off.

It is call Flextra in Canada I think it is made by Mulco. However use the industrial one.....the one that window installers use and not what is sold at the hardware store. Not quite the same product.

Pierre
                            Found Mulco's website and spent an hour reading. Unfortunately their products are only available in Canada?

https://www.mulco.ca/en-ca/how-to-choose
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

When I got my new Reflections as I did with my old trailer. I pulled every screw out and replaced them with stainless screws one size up 1/4 inch longer from what was there. When doing so found many locations where the screw were rusted which means water wicking in. So I filled the hole with RV sealants and reinstalled the new screws Time consuming but well worth it my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X