Skylight replacement-Outer cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylight replacement-Outer cover

I have begun to remove the sealant from the living area skylight and working from a ladder at the moment. I am removing the sealant along the bottom edge first since it is next to the side of the trailer. I have a question, maybe two. I am taking pics as I go. I am using an old dull wide chisel and a putty knife that I rounded the corners on.

1. Did you guys get the old sealant completely off? I think I know the answer but wanted to ask anyway. That is some tough stuff at the TPO.
    2. Can you offer any tips to getting it off besides what has been posted in other threads. Did you take the outer cover off to remove any of the sealant.

This first one has a crack around the entire perimeter above the flange along with screws that are driven too far, missed the flange, and missing completely. I will continue to take pics.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

I got a sharper chisel and came at the sealant from the side and was removing most, in some cases all, of the sealant.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Comment

You can heat up the Dicor/lap sealant and it will come off easier (gets gooier). Also, I would only use a plastic putty knife that is not sharp so you don't puncture the roof membrane. Also, don't worry about getting all of the stuff off because in doing so you will likely end up stretching or cutting the roof membrane. When I replaced a skylight on my SOB prior 5th wheel, I used Eternabond tape to provide a smooth surface and help seal areas I gouged removing the Dicor. The Eternabond was placed on top of the roof membrane before placing the new skylight into position. I used the roll of butyl tape they provided under the new skylight, then bolted it carefully in place being careful not to overtighten (so the plastic does not crack), then used lap sealant over the perimeter of the skylight, the outer edge of the Eternabond and over all of the bolt holes. It held fine for 6 more years until I sold it.

Even if you don't get all of the sealant off, as long as the butyl tape can seal correctly and you use enough lap sealant (Alpha for most new Grand Design TPO roofs ...) you will be fine.
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have one ready to replace tomorrow. I have found a couple of blemishes on the TPO and I did put a small nic in one place.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

I'm sorry for the picture-heavy post but this is what I was trying to stop from leaking while camping July 4th weekend. I had a mess to pull off before I could even start to remove the sealant to prep for new outer skylight covers.These 6 tell a tale. This is the link if anyone would like to look through all the photos. https://billmorris.smugmug.com/Priva...otos/n-ZgL2Rh/
          Attached Files
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

I finished the first one today. There were also a couple of tears in the roof material under the flange of the old one. I put Eternabond around the edge of the hole prior to putting the new one in place.
            Attached Files
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

I decided I don't want the Eternabond showing so while on the roof installing a Maxx Air vent cover this morning, I covered the top portion with the remaining sealant I had. I will go around the remainder when more I ordered gets here.
              Attached Files
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

My last post on this unless there are questions or comments that require a response. I replaced the second skylight yesterday. It was in worse condition than the first. If I ever buy another TT, I will definitely get on the roof and look around. I also found some tears that were covered up. IMO, this shouldn't have left the factory in this condition and I have to assume my dealer never saw it or chose to do nothing about it if they did. The link to the picture gallery above will take you to all the photos. Here are a few of the second replacement.
                Attached Files
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Went up and cleaned the roof this morning and inspected the sealant around everything. The Alpha Systems around the skylight is cracking already. The one I did in Dicor is in good condition. Surprised me honestly. Will order a tube of Alpha to touch up.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X