Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Sealant Void" / Void Spot Seal

Hey
    I have my RV in the shop to fix the Barn Doors that broke... and while there they checked the roof.
    It is a 1 year old RV, with about 10K miles

The dealer came back with the following
    **Roof Inspection yielded a recommended Void Spot Seal ($500).**

When I asked what this was, I got this:
    **The Sealant Void Service is a maintenance Service needed Annually & not covered under 90 Warranty.**

Any idea what a Sealant Void / Void Spot Seal is?
    Or got a question that might help me narrow him down to explaining what exactly $500 bucks is buying me?

Thanks in Advance.
    Grand Design-Imagine
    2021 (1st Edition) 2600RB

Inspecting and touch up caulking areas on the roof seams is a regular maintenance item, arguably one that shouldn't even be necessary with modern construction improvements and sealant technologies.
    A ladder and typically 1 or 2 tubes of roof sealant is usually sufficient to touch up any areas where the caulk may be cracking. I suspect the service manager at your RV dealer has a payment coming up for their seasonal boat slip and you are being asked to help out. $500 is insane and insulting and should be a warning about their business practices.
    Last edited by familytruckster4; 07-17-2021, 08:31 AM.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Chipster View Post
      Hey
      I have my RV in the shop to fix the Barn Doors that broke... and while there they checked the roof.
      It is a 1 year old RV, with about 10K miles

The dealer came back with the following
      **Roof Inspection yielded a recommended Void Spot Seal ($500).**

When I asked what this was, I got this:
      **The Sealant Void Service is a maintenance Service needed Annually & not covered under 90 Warranty.**

Any idea what a Sealant Void / Void Spot Seal is?
      Or got a question that might help me narrow him down to explaining what exactly $500 bucks is buying me?

Thanks in Advance.
      That would be a hard no! Sealant void? Sounds like it might be a place where the sealant has cracked or is peeling up, but who knows. Sounds similar to a ' board stretcher'.

I just picked up two tubes of Alpha Sealant at CW for $11.50 per tube. You could do the same and head up to the roof and fill the 'voids' yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing that I would call a mobile RV tech and pay the mobile fee plus an hour of his/her time to inspect and seal where needed. You would be money ahead and help a small honest business.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Working...
      X