Bedroom window shattered - others hard to slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom window shattered - others hard to slide

A few of our windows stick and are hard to slide and our small bedroom window shattered into a thousand pieces while trying to open. We're gonna check with a local window shop about replacing it but are wondering what is the best way to keep the others from sticking. Has anyone else experienced this and will spraying silicone in the tracks help or does someone have another suggestion?
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post
    A few of our windows stick and are hard to slide and our small bedroom window shattered into a thousand pieces while trying to open. We're gonna check with a local window shop about replacing it but are wondering what is the best way to keep the others from sticking. Has anyone else experienced this and will spraying silicone in the tracks help or does someone have another suggestion?
    I have not had issues with the windows sticking. However, I lubricate them and "exercise" them regularly. This is what I use for lubrication...

https://www.3inone.com/products/rvca...rack-dry-lube/

I DO have experience with a broken window, which I broke when I backed into my house. You will likely have to replace the whole window due to the way they are made. Replacing it doesn't seem to be all that hard of a task, however I did not attempt it due to the size of the window (almost 6 ft x 2 1/2 ft). I think at minimum, it's a two person job, one outside and one inside. In my case I had the dealership 117 miles away replace it for me. The greatest aggravation in that process was simply getting the replacement window ordered. That took 10 days. I found the part number on the Grand Design parts lookup web site, but that was not enough. they kept having me get measurements, and I had to pay for the window with the understanding that it was not returnable, prior to ordering it. Lippert supplied the dealership with the replacement window, it arrived within a week of ordering and the dealership installed it about a week after it came in. So that's my window story... and while it wasn't that bad, I hope your experience is much better!

Bob
    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

Dennis - Three-in-one company sell an RV specific window lube that I've used with good success.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXV2SN9...1N9NB32J69RFDP

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I think I seen on here others use that on the slide gears? Is this correct?
        2021 Reflection 303RLS
        2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

We had a similar experience with a small window in the dinette slide in our first brand new trailer not long after delivery. It had been opened/closed several times with no problem, but then one day it started to open and shattered. Keystone & dealer replaced it under warranty, but took about a month to get.

While waiting we covered the window with a plastic version cardboard election yard sign, taped in place. So, now I have gorilla tape and a couple of those signs, just in case. For larger windows, would probably use a heavy piece of plastic window covering from Lowe’s or Home Depot, until new window was available.
          Doug & Barb
          2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
          2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
          No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
          Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Can't help with the sticking. Since one broke it makes me wonder if they were properly installed. I just broke a window and am going through the replacement process. It kind of amazes me that the dealer I talked with wanted to order the incorrect window. But I went a couple of three steps ahead of the game and believe I now have the correct information.

Step 1: I used the link on this forum to look up the window part number. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup

Step 2: I called the GD customer support number 574-825-9679 worked through the menus, provided my serial number, and they emailed me the correct part numbers for the window.

Step 3: in the email GD provided they gave me the LCI part number and LCI contact info. I ordered the window through LCI, 574-537-8900. LCI in turn has a company that builds the window for them, a 4 week process. Then they have to ship it LTL, (less than load), which takes about 2 more weeks.

Good luck with the repair.
            2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
            2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
            E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
            Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. It appears the window lube suggested is currently out of stock but I will keep searching for it. Thanks also for the GD part look-up link. If we can't get a local window shop to provide the glass we'll contact GD. We hope to take an extended trip in August and September so it's not likely we could get a replacement window from GD in time. Worse case scenario I guess we'll fix a temporary cover for it. Thanks again!
              Dennis & Phyllis Manley
              2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

Comment

Working...
              X