Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim at Base of Fiberglass Wall Panel Expanding in Sun and Separating and Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim at Base of Fiberglass Wall Panel Expanding in Sun and Separating and Leaking

A 2022 XLS 17MKE. Only three weeks old and Customer Service Missing In Action. They used too few of screws to hold the metal trim piece against to fiberglass wall and water leaking in. As the sun hits and expands the metal, the more it pulls away from the wall. The screws they installed are over 18 inches apart. Too far. Wrote to Grand Design and requested a few matching screws to secure and seal it as water is leaking in. They wrote back and said they couldnt help with my request and they dont send screws. I was shocked that they would say this over 50 cents of screws. I left four messages to call me back and no one returns my call. Very disappointed in Grand Design.
    Last edited by JimW; 07-22-2021, 09:55 PM.

Originally posted by JimW View Post
    A 2022 XLS 17MKE. Only three weeks old and Customer Service Missing In Action. They used too few of screws to hold the metal trim piece against to fiberglass wall and water leaking in. As the sun hits and expands the metal, the more it pulls away from the wall. The screws they installed are over 18 inches apart. Too far. Wrote to Grand Design and requested a few matching screws to secure and seal it as water is leaking in. They wrote back and said they couldnt help with my request and they dont send screws. I was shocked that they would say this over 50 cents of screws. I left four messages to call me back and no one returns my call. Very disappointed in Grand Design.
    Hi JimW,
    This is a forum where owners help other owners. Your humble moderators are "just" owners like you. For complaint resolution you'll have to call Grand Design Customer Service. With patience persistence it's my experience that you'll get a response.

What strikes me is there's no why behind the refusal to send the screws. There may be a reason--based on my personal experience I doubt GD would refuse to send screws because of the cost.

Also, the VIN in your profile is incomplete. Can you (please) add the final five digits?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

- Can you take a look at this one please?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
        VIN is needed, Jim...
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

JimW Welcome to the family and the forum! ​​​​​​​ I'm with howson on being perplexed about the response, but I do wish I could find a source for matching screws just to keep everything neat. I have mini-fits and will search and then get frustrated and give up.

When you have time, the moderators have taken the time to create a Welcome Letter to help new members have the best possible experience on the forum including posting tips, how to set up a signature line and searching the forums. You can find the letter at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members.
          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
          Nash County, NC
          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
            Thank you for the tag! We have already resolved this issue with customer support’s assistance.

Comment

Actually its the late afternoon August 5 and customer support had not yet resolved the issue. On July 26 I did get an email from a GD Service Manager that he was putting screws putting in the mal to me. Never got them. I called him and left messages yesterday and today. He called me back today and said he mailed them two days ago. Hopefully.

Comment

I have the same trailer. All of the screws in the front backed out on the first trip and some of the ones on the wheel wells backed out too

Comment

We are about to make our first trip and will watch for the screws backing out. I used PROFLEXRV on my trim and it appears to the same as was used at factory. I think it would be good to use this on screws that back out too. Thanks for letting me know. I did finally receive a pack of screws today from the Service Manager at Grand Design and have removed the "Defect" video I posted on Youtube. I do hope there are not any unaware owners of the trim pulling away that results in damage to their investment.

Comment

Working...
                  X