Danger - Do Not Use Blaster brand Dry Lube on door locks - Dissolves Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger - Do Not Use Blaster brand Dry Lube on door locks - Dissolves Foam

Before I left on the trip I lubed up all my locks and slide components with this product. https://blasterproducts.com/product/...e-with-teflon/

I just discovered the main door below the lock has a dent on the outside and inside the panel is pulling away from the frame edge (sorry no pictures yet). The foam inside appears to have collapsed/dissolved. I have not pulled the lock assembly to verify yet, but these are the locations that the spray would have flowed inside the door when I lubed the master door lock and bolt. I think I can fix the damage if I can find some good high quality high density foam in a can and inject through the door frame edge. Wanted folks to be aware.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Thanks for the heads up Keith.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yoda ,
      Dang, Keith, that sucks. ("Sucks" is a technical term inserted as a substitute for words that are not allowed on this forum.) I know that certain glues are incompatible with foam, but hadn't considered lube.

Thanks for the post.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ill know more when I pull the lock when I get home. Should be able to see the teflon powder. Any suggestions on the replacement spray foam? hoping it will expand things back out.

Keith.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Ill know more when I pull the lock when I get home. Should be able to see the teflon powder. Any suggestions on the replacement spray foam? hoping it will expand things back out.

Keith.
          Honestly...I'd just replace the door.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

for lock lubrication use lps1 available at grangers and elsewhere. it does not collect dirt.
            2021 Solitude 390RK
            No truck - don't travel

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I was hoping to fix first, if not then I am fighting costs, SWMBO, and getting graphics to match - unless there is an easy way to remove from existing door and re-attach to the new one.

However she did agree that having a good fan in the bedroom vent would be nice.

Comment

A door change is not real easy. I'd sure try to repair it first.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If it's the main entry door, it's big bucks to replace. I gored mine and the price was over a thousand if I recall. The body shop was way cheaper.
                  2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

If it's the main entry door, it's big bucks to replace. I gored mine and the price was over a thousand if I recall. The body shop was way cheaper.
                    Wow! Good point--I didn't realize it was so expensive. I hadn't considered the graphics issue, too. I wonder if insurance would cover it?

Howard

Comment

Update
                      I pulled the lock and actually split the lower door frame to get a look. I did not find what I was expecting - melted foam. Instead I found compressed layers - like a seam running through the foam, creating compressed sections. Sorry no pictures - camera died. After researching I chose the following https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...96014-23-12140 Its high density and does not expand forcibly.

I tried a small area today with good results. Ill post more tomorrow (pictures) on how the fix is going.

Keith

Edit - I was looking from the wrong direction. The foam was melted

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689s.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	65556
                      Last edited by Yoda; 09-10-2021, 01:01 PM.

Comment

OK so now the fix - I learned some valuable lessons Make sure you tape all surfaces before using the foam - otherwise be ready for a huge headache cleaning up.

So first this is the dent below the lock where the foam melted. There were other areas depressed in to

down toward the bottom along the door frame. Evidently the compressed areas I saw when I pulled the frame back (remove two screws at bottom) were the melted foam seams.

Name:	IMG_0686s.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	65559
                        Note void below lock when front panel bows in.

I drilled a series of holes in the frame, just large enough for the foam straw to fit through. then injected the foam deep as O pluule the foam straw out. This is the huge mistake I made. I though when cured the foam would easily scrape off - WRONG!!!!

Name:	IMG_0681s.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	65560
                        The clamp is there to keep the outer skin from bulging. The sliver bolt is actually a small wall mollie. I used it to keep the door frame from bowing - another mistake as it did not work. I removed it this morning and foamed the void it created. The solution was to use a ratchet strap. On thing I did do for the first 15 minutes after foaming a hole was to place a screw in the hole to keep the foam in. I carefully watched the door for the void to fill. At that point I removed the screw and released the foam pressure so it could get outside and not create any more force inside the door panel.

Name:	IMG_0691s.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	65561 strap holding frame tight and everything taped up today. This was the final area to foam. It need to cure for several hours as the humidity is low here. You can speed up the foam cure by spraying water before foaming, but I did not want to take a chance.

Now you probably wondering about all the holes in the frame. I plan to use theses automotive trim plugs.

Name:	IMG_0690s.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	65562

ll update this once all the foam has cured and I can get the lock set back in place.

Keith

Comment

Yoda Timely warning, I was getting ready to lube things up. I had not thought about what type carrier solvent is used in various spray lubes etc. Now with eyebrow raised in confusion I'm not sure what to use and wether or not I was skillful or lucky for years in what I used to lube things up.

Dave
                          flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                            Yoda Timely warning, I was getting ready to lube things up. I had not thought about what type carrier solvent is used in various spray lubes etc. Now with eyebrow raised in confusion I'm not sure what to use and wether or not I was skillful or lucky for years in what I used to lube things up.

Dave
                            The easy solution is to just pull the door lock (4 screws for the body and two on the strike plate) Then you can actually do a proper job of tubing everything. Let it dry and reinstall. Just keep track of the part orientation and it goes together very easily.

Keith

Comment

I am glad you informed us with this information. I bought a can of that stuff the other day because my Carefree Awning arms were seaking and after reading my manul they said to use dry lube to fix the issue. It worked but i had to hold a cloth in one hand and spray with the other.Other wise it would have run down the side of the camper. This stuff might not be good on your siding or paint.
                              Bryan & Shelia
                              2008 chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 6.6 Duramax
                              2021 GD 376THS MM

Comment

Working...
                              X