Issues with front cap/roof joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with front cap/roof joint

When we took delivery of our 2020 Solitude 310GK-R the end of February last year, there was a place along the seam where the roof and the front cap met on the right (curb) side where the caulking was very sloppily done. I have used 1-1/2 tubes of sealant since then trying to keep it sealed and waterproof. I inspect it about every 8 weeks. A couple of weeks ago I discovered that the batten strip (all I can thing to call it from my sailing days) that's screwed down into the roof across the top of the membrane with a thick layer of sealant over it had popped up on that end exposing a larger crack - perhaps 1/16 of an inch or a little more. To me, this is evidence that the screw(s) into the plywood gave way and probably means that the plywood got moist and is spongy. I have put wide Eternabond over everything until we get somewhere long enough to have a certified tech tear into it and see what needs to be done long-term. I have three questions/concerns:

1) The roof membrane has come loose from the plywood underlayment for a width of about 18" and 8" - 10" back from the batten strip where the defect is. Should I worry about this ballooning during travel (wind and water cannot get into it at this point because of the Eternabond) and, if so, what should I do to prevent that from happening, and;

2) Since the unit is past the 1-year basic warranty and this is not a failure of the roof membrane itself (12 year warranty), would this be covered under the 3-year structural warranty since I've been inspecting and caulking or am I up the proverbial waters of pollution without adequate means of propulsion on this one?

3) If I am on my own, where would you go from here on repairs?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rob

This is bad news for sure. Here is a couple links to threads here with similar issues.

Roof coming off - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Roof Bubbling - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

I would definitely contact customer service to get there advise. Even though you may be a little bit out of warranty they may step up to help with issue, worth the call. If this does not yield any help you may take a few steps that the other threads found to repair their issue. Hope you get this resolved easily. I also recall at sometime in the past year or so they did have some issues on some of the RV's with the front cap roof sealing area ,yours may be in that group.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Rob,
      I am no expert on this but I have a similar past experience with a travel trailer I owned several years ago. I discovered that the caulking had deteriorated at the trim strip where the roofing material meets the front cap. Water actually was coming into the front interior of the trailer.

Fortunately I caught it early, and the location where the water entered the trailer was not critical so it did virtually no interior damage.

When I got home from the trip, I removed all of the caulk from the horizontal trim piece as well as all trim pieces that allowed me to get to the roofing material that was coming loose. This is the key point. If you can gently raise the roofing material, keeping it intact, and separate it from the plywood, the roofing material should be able to be reused. Peel it back far enough to access the damaged plywood.

You can then cutout and replace the (hopefully) small piece of plywood. This is another key point. Hopefully you clean any remaining debris and wood chips off the bottom of the roofing material so it can be reused, and replace using the appropriate adhesive (TPO or EDPM).

If you can't successfully reuse the existing roofing material I guess you will have to patch a new piece in. Seems like this would not be too big of a job using Eternabond tape. I was fortunate and did not have to do that.

Of course all this is assuming you do not have extensive damage to plywood. Obviously you won't know until you get into the damage.

Jerry
      2020 Reflection 273MK
      2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Thanks guys - good input. Very useful links, Country Campers (especially the first one). I should have taken the time to search for myself.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
        X