Stairs falling down during travel!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stairs falling down during travel!!!

We have a 2021 Reflection 303rls, when we ordered it we asked for the 3 steps instead of the ladder steps. For some reason it was delivered with the ladder steps, not sure why. We were not aware of this, until the TEC said he was the one who changed them out. First day of our 2.5 month trip, I looked in the mirror and the steps had unfolded! We stopped and put them up, and a few minutes later they were down again! So we had to tie them up for the entire trip. Camper is now at the dealers. They can't find anything wrong. Said we must not have put them up all the way. Our previous camper (Jayco) had the same kind of stairs, never an issue. Anyone else have this happen????

Hi Sandy,
    Was there a cross wind while you were driving? We have the standard three steps that unfold. Having driven it over 42,000 miles over 5 plus years, we only had them open up while driving on one day. It was a very windy day and a couple times we were driving such that the strong wind blew across our direction of travel causing the steps to unfold. If I ever drive in a strong cross wind like that again, I plan to tie up the steps, otherwise it has never been a problem.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

No strong winds, but will keep your suggestion in mind.
      We have also driven tens of thousands of miles in our old camper the had 3 steps, never an issue. The dealer decided to replace the steps, they couldn't find anything wrong with them, and they of course were brand new. I'm hoping for good results with the new pair!

Comment

Sandy when you close the steps did you notice if they were extremely light at the full close. This suggest that the weight of the step is close to the pivot point. As a result, certain driving condition or road conditions can lead to the steps weight crossing the pivot pin and falling open. If they are assisted open steps, the springs could be too tight (too much assist).
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
        X