How to I fix exterior window trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to I fix exterior window trim?

I was checking on the camper today and I noticed some of the rubber trim (or maybe it's a gasket) has come out. I assume this is going to let water into places where it shouldn't be.

I tried to push it back into place with no luck. Is there a trick to getting this trim back into place?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210904_182757491.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	65091

Thanks!
    Bill M.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
    I was checking on the camper today and I noticed some of the rubber trim (or maybe it's a gasket) has come out. I assume this is going to let water into places where it shouldn't be.

I tried to push it back into place with no luck. Is there a trick to getting this trim back into place?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210904_182757491.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	65091

Thanks!
    It almost looks like the aluminum frame is bent out in the corner (dent upper left). Manufacturing defect or it got bent before install. I would take it to the dealer and possibly have the window replaced. Is there any inside issue and is the track for the sliding window straight. What you see should not be happening. I would put some heavy tape over it to seal it temporarily as this is a direct path to the skin and water damage would delaminate it.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

BillM321 Bill, the rubber gasket (glazing) is there to hold the glass in place as the seal should be between the glass and the frame. In order to fix that corner you will most likely need to start at the bottom and push the rubber glazing around to the corner leaving a gap at the bottom. I would defiantly take it back to the dealer, they need to inspect the frame and look at installing longer glazing.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

BillM321 Bill, I agree with the above post from Joseph. It is quite common for the rubber gasket/glazing to shrink over time and pull those corners out. It is time consuming to work the rubber around but does the trick. I use a 1 inch square piece of wood with the corners sanded down to push at the rubber. You can pull the entire rubber off gently, start in the middle and work to the ends, the gap left behind at the bottom should not cause a problem but you decide, perhaps a little gube of silicone could be used to seal the gap if it concerns you. Another small point, do not stretch the rubber as you work or in a couple of days you will have the same issue, push straight in. In looking at our rig every round corner on the that type window has the slight deformation from rolling the corner to shape during production.

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Thank you all for the input. It was reassuring to know that the "seal" is actually between the backside of the glass where it touches the frame and the rubber "glazing" is just there to help hold the glass in place against the frame. Almost like a real window in your house....whoda thunk?

I was able to gently remove the rubber and work it back into place. I only pulled it back to where it was coming out in the corner area. I then re-installed it in the rounded corner and worked my way back along the straight sections. I used a small block of wood that I had sanded down all the sharp edges/corners. It appears to only be held in place by the shape of the gasket and a friction fit. So who knows how long it will be before it works it way loose again. But at least now I know I can address it if it comes out again while away from home.

Thanks again,
          Bill M.
          2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
          2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

Working...
          X