Entry Door Won't Open When Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry Door Won't Open When Hot

This is a brand new 2022 200MK, built in August 2021. We picked it up last week, and have spent the past few days inspecting it in detail before our first shake-down short trip this week. The trailer is very well put together, but of course there are a handful of little problems.

One of them is the entry door. During the afternoon heat, especially with the sun shining directly onto the entry door, the door will not open. At first, I thought it was a problem with the lock, but no. As the door and frame heat up with the daylight, I can see the clearance between the strike plate and the door close up until it will neither open nor shut without so much force that I consider dangerous to the frame. Apparently the door/frame are swelling in the heat. Once the day cools down a few degrees, the door gradually returns to normal operation.

We will take the trailer back to the selling dealer shop after our shake-down trip. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what was done to fix it.

Thanks.
    Ruth and Patrick
    2022 Transcend 200MK
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

KrustyKush It seems a little unusual for the door to expand that much laterally in the sun, however you never know what can happen. My only suggestion would be to check the "bow" of the door. Lippert, in their door manual, says the door should have a bow not to exceed 3/8 inch as measured in the middle with a straight edge or string stretched from top to bottom. The door on our 2021 2600RB was closer to 1/2 inch and it was difficult to operate particularly in the sun. The instruction says to use a block of 2x4 in the top and bottom corners to hold the door out from the side while carefully applying pressure in the middle to reduce this "bow". We did this using a rubber shoe and reduced the bow to about 1/4 inch. The door now operates better in all conditions. Look it up on the Lippert web site for complete instructions. Not saying this is your problem but it worked for us. Good luck.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Originally posted by KrustyKush View Post
      This is a brand new 2022 200MK, built in August 2021. We picked it up last week, and have spent the past few days inspecting it in detail before our first shake-down short trip this week. The trailer is very well put together, but of course there are a handful of little problems.

One of them is the entry door. During the afternoon heat, especially with the sun shining directly onto the entry door, the door will not open. At first, I thought it was a problem with the lock, but no. As the door and frame heat up with the daylight, I can see the clearance between the strike plate and the door close up until it will neither open nor shut without so much force that I consider dangerous to the frame. Apparently the door/frame are swelling in the heat. Once the day cools down a few degrees, the door gradually returns to normal operation.

We will take the trailer back to the selling dealer shop after our shake-down trip. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and what was done to fix it.

Thanks.
      I absolutely have the exact same issue. When the Arizona sun is shining on our door, it's almost impossible to open. I was able to make it a little better by using longer screws in the strike plate which allowed me to pull it into the frame a little tighter. Then, I used a Dremel grinder on the strike plate to reduce it a little.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by KrustyKush View Post

Thanks.
        As Jim TucsonJim mentions try adjusting the strike plate either in or out. I moved mine out slightly to ease the locking. I don't have to slam it now.
        Safe travels
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you for the replies and information. The strike plate on our trailer has already been "fiddled" with before we took delivery. Even without removing the strike plate, I can easily see that two other holes were drilled for it, probably at the factory. In any case, moving the strike plate to the other two holes does nothing to reduce the jamming of the door when it gets hot.

At first, I could see a gouge on the door that lined up with the lower strike plate screw. Thinking it was the screw causing the interference, I filed a bit of material off the screw head. This had no effect, and now that I've studied it over several days, watching the clearance between the strike plate and door disappear as the sun's heat rises, I know it isn't the screw, but rather the entire plate itself. Removing the strike plate entirely eliminates the jamming, but I don't want to operate without the plate for long, assuming that in cooler temps the door will be loose and that rattling back and forth will eat up the frame cut-out.

I aim to return the trailer to the dealer shop after our first time out this week, to fix the handful of minor issues, the door among them. I'll let them try it before I take matters into my own hands. I had assumed that others had had this same issue. Thanks again for the replies.
          Ruth and Patrick
          2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

I took the trailer to the selling dealer shop for this issue of hot entry door jamming up. Though I carefully explained the conditions (hot sun) under which the door sticks closed, they did nothing to fix the problem. They had the trailer for a week, and did nothing except put a couple new screws into the strike plate. The door still jams when hot.

We went camping for three weeks this month, and the door was a constant problem. I had to make sure to get out of bed in the morning before the sun shined on the door, or we'd have to kick the door open to get out. Just a constant headache. One day after having to kick the door open from the inside, I called my "service advisor" at the dealer shop back in California, and yelled at him for saying it was fixed, when it wasn't.

I've tried various self fixes, from oiling the strike plate, to replacing the strike plate altogether with a generic piece from Home Depot. Nothing has worked. The best I can do on my own is to remove the strike plate altogether and travel that way. Not ideal, for a number of reasons, but perhaps necessary. The dealer shop is probably not going to be any help. If they decided to replace the entry door, I'd worry that ham-handedness would leave me with other more terrible problems.

Next I'm going to check the door bow, according to the advice from flyfshrockies above. Thank you very much.
            Ruth and Patrick
            2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

KrustyKush
              Trying to get repairs properly done through a dealer is often very frustrating . . . many on this forum can attest to this.

There is not much that you can do about the size of the door . . . but, the door frame is another matter. The door and frame arrive as an assembly and are inserted into an opening cut into the sidewall at the Grand Design factory. There is some flex in the door frame and I suspect that it was forced into an opening that was just a little too small. If you look carefully around the perimeter of the door, you can probably find where the door frame has been pushed in towards the door.

The "proper" fix would be to remove the door and frame assembly, resize the opening to fit properly and reinstall (or replace) the door and frame. If you can provide pictures to Grand Design Customer Service of where the door opening is squeezing the frame, which then interferes with the door, they may be able to offer assistance. Your dealer should be the one doing this, but it does not sound like that is going to happen. Don't hesitate to tell Grand Design why you are calling them directly.

FWIW, I have this same situation on the front compartment door of my Reflection. Almost impossible to open if it is in the direct sun. This is seldom the case with this compartment being under the overhang of the 5th wheel . . . so, I just live with it. I would definitely be handling this differently if this were a problem with the entry door.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Rob. I can't see any area of the door frame that looks like it is distorted, or pushed out. I'll keep this in mind, however. I probably will end up removing the door/frame assy as I pursue this problem. If or when I do remove the door, I'll inspect the opening for "smallness".

I found six stripped screws that hold the door hinges into the door. On my door, there are six hinges, each hinge attached to the door with three of these screws. The screws are fine, but the holes are not holding them tight. I doubt that this is the source of the problem, but you never know. One of the two middle hinges, directly across from the lock handle, all three screws are stripped and the hinge wiggles loose. I will find some new screws slightly larger diameter to get these hinges nice and tight.

One interesting thing is the color accents on the door affecting heat retention. In the bright sun, the darker areas get blazing hot and untouchable within a few minutes of being in the sun. The white areas stay cool to the touch. My door is mostly white, but the areas around the latch have a grey color, that gets blazing hot, and also a couple of black appliqué areas that also get very hot. I wonder if the temperature differentials between these closely positioned color areas is causing the door itself to swell mainly around the latch. I should be able to remove the black appliqués but the grey appears to be paint onto the aluminum. I may try temporarily placing some reflective material over just the darker colored areas on the door and see if this has any effect. The DW is opposed to messing with the color scheme...
                Ruth and Patrick
                2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

I measured surface temps in noon-day direct sun. White color runs around 115f. The nearby black and grey areas run around 155f. The difference to the skin of the hand is like going from warm to scorching, as in, can't let your bare skin touch it more than an instant without burning. The question may be what is the effect inside the door. I'm no scientist, and can't say for sure whether hotter surface temp necessarily means hotter interior. It could mean cooler for all I know. I'm just surprised there is such a temp diff between colors.

I'm wondering if the 40f difference between white and dark colors on the door, is causing the door to warp in direct sun, then causing the clearance between door latch and strike plate to disappear.
                  Ruth and Patrick
                  2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Most doors have different colour sections and don't jam the way yours does. Agreed that this will cause temperature differences in the sun . . . but, I don't think this is the cause of the problem.

My guess is that the stripped screws go back to your dealer's attempt to fix the problem. Tightening the hinge screws across from the latch "might" have pulled the door in that direction . . . although I doubt it and obviously that didn't work.

If you are prepared to pull the door and frame yourself to try and sort this out . . . talk to Grand Design Customer Service about why you are doing this. Show them pictures to prove the problem. They might just send you a new door and frame. I can't speak for them, but they are often willing to work with a customer who has tried to resolve a problem through the dealer and this has not been successful.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Cate & Rob that there may be a problem with the door frame/door opening and it may not be readably obvious. As part of the documentation, and to help pinpoint where the problem may be, check each corner of the door frame with a square to make sure they are at 90-degrees, use a properly sized straight edge to check the jambs, header, and sill to make sure they are not bowed, and put a level on all the surfaces. Photograph everything. The door can also be checked, but the problem is more likely the frame/door opening.
                      John
                      2018 Momentum 395M
                      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Thanks to Rob and John for the valuable information. I watched the Lippert video showing the door removal/replacement procedure. It looks to be within my ability. I had worried that removal would require some peeling back of body skin. I'll call GD before I do anything more.

The problem can be lived with, just need to pay attention to how to position the trailer during a roadside stop, and get up early to let the door ajar before Dr Sunshine shows above the horizon. Sometimes can't avoid the hot sun on that side, and must pull real hard to get the door to open about a half inch, then can fit fingers in there to jerk/pull the rest of the way out as not to over stress the latch handle. The worst is when we forget to keep the door ajar, the sun heats it up while we're inside, and it is dad gummed hard to open the door. It has to be hit hard through the screen door opening, and I mean hard. Like kicked.

Otherwise, apart from the entry door, the trailer is flawless. Everything, every appliance (except the radio which clicks and thumps) works perfectly, day in and day out, and the trailer pulls very nicely on the road. It is hard to be unhappy with this trailer.
                        Ruth and Patrick
                        2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

KrustyKush By chance before kicking the door open can you tell where the binding occurs? Could it be that the striker plate is the issue and just needs a bit of correction? I know on my Reflection the top of the screen door will rub the frame and make it stick a bit, but the entry door is fine. Could be something like that where the hole is just a touch out of square causing one corner to bind, if this is the case no amount of tightening the screws will fix the issue.

Also, as strange as it may seem, try checking the level of the camper with a 4' level after the issue arises.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yes, the binding is at the strike plate. If I remove the strike plate, most of the interference is eliminated during even the hottest moments. When I took the trailer to the dealer shop for this issue, the "service advisor" touched the strike plate and saw it was a little loose. He said, "aha" but I warned him that that wasn't the problem. I gave him a detailed description of the symptoms, which he ignored and wrote up the work order without any mention of heat inducement. I saw what he wrote on the work order and protested, saying if he writes it up that way the tech won't know what the problem is. He said, oh, don't worry, I will explain it to him. Right. A week later, I pick up the trailer and all they did was put two newer screws into the strike plate and pronounce it cured.

The issue arises with the trailer at any level. I am very picky about level. I will work for as long as it takes to get the trailer level for the night. The problem arises whether the trailer is perfectly level at a campsite, or sitting on the side of the road for a pee stop.

As the trailer heats up on a warm day, the door gets tight. If the ambient temps are in the high 80s, the door will be snug even if it is shaded. If direct sunlight heats the curb side of the trailer dramatically, the door binds strongly at the strike plate, and is quite difficult to open or close.
                            Ruth and Patrick
                            2022 Transcend 200MK

Comment

KrustyKush Sounds like you have narrowed the binding down to the striker area. I think on my unit they notched the frame member next to the door to allow recessing of the striker plate. I'll have to check this weekend (if I remember) when at the camper to verify.

I do remember having a similar issue on the previous 5er, but it was binding at all temps. I think I ether filed the door frame a bit to allow the striker to sit properly, or just removed some burrs from the holes where they forced the screws into the aluminum frame again allowing the striker to sit a touch lower.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X