No announcement yet.

Entry Door Won't Open When Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just purchased a 2023 Transcend 200MK.

have the same issue. If the sun hits the door, it sticks. Mine is hitting in two places--The strike plate and the top corner. At night, this is not an issue. The top is an easy fix as the trim piece could be moved out 1/4," and all would be good. But the strike place is another story.

I checked the door to see if it was square, and it was very square to the frame. Measuring the distance between top and bottom is less than 1/16" of an inch.
    So, it appears Grand Design did not factor in the heat expansion of the door at over 100 degrees.

Comment #22 used Mike Thomson-Colton, who I would use, but after reading their comments, I am not sure if that would be such a wise idea.

It appears there are only two fixes:
    1) Remove the door and widen the door frame
    2) Replace the door with a smaller door.

I doubt GD will create a smaller door (1/8-1/4") unless they do a recall. (Very unlikely. Although, if there were a fire and someone were to become trapped, it is not as if Grand Design did not know about the problem.)

So, in the end, it appears that #1 might be the only option. But that is quite a job that if not done right can become an even bigger headache.

Other than that, I love my trailer.

Comment

Had this same hot door problem with an old different brand trailer. Dealer didn’t fix it, but said they did. I did two things: used a hammer and board to bend the hinges back away from the closing side and tightened the hinge screws; removed the striker plate and flattened it (except left the “ramp” on the leading edge to assisted the latch to retract). Problem solved for me. Might work for you.
      2022 3100RD
      2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
      Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Our Transcend had the same door problem. We had an awful time at a campsite in full sun. We had just pulled in and were hot and tired. My husband finally managed to get it open. He noticed the scratch marks on the strike plate. He unscrewed the plate and ground it down on the concrete pad until he shortened it past the marks. We’ve had zero problems since.

Comment

KrustyKush we have this same issue in our 2022 Transcend Xplor! I open the awning everyday around 11am and it fixes the problem! I can close it around 4pm and we're just fine. As long as the door has shade during the peak time the sun is facing that side of the RV then we're good. I've done this the past month in 115° heat with no issues. I also want to suggest to RV companies if they seem to know this is a problem across the board then at least consider putting 2 doors on RVs that are on opposite sites of the rigs! I Google this problem today thinking we can't be the only ones and this issue popped up on Grand Design, Coach, Forest River, etc! If companies read these comments then hello!!! This is clearly an issue that needs some sort of solving!

Comment

I missed this thread, our 2022 310GK suffered the same issue. The latch contacted the stricker when hot, I modified the stricker & used low profile screws. Mickey mouse to say the least however there is enough clearance the door would function. I dealt with other more pressing issue's so this was back burnered.

Lippert did send me this, after looking @ the sealant around the frame & I decided against trying there suggested repair.....the time needed to do it properly. Maybe it will help someone here.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0006250.pdf
            Last edited by Dale B; 11-01-2022, 07:41 PM.
            2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
            2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
            2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

Comment

Working...
            X