Removing silicone sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing silicone sealant

I did a search but did not see a specific answer.

I need to clean up some silicone sealant. I got most off withe a razor blade (being very careful) and a plastic scrapper, but still have a lot of residue. Any tip on what ti use that actually works and wont harm the siding? I have tried rubbing alcohol and WD40, but still have a fine residue left.

Thanks for any tips.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I did a search but did not see a specific answer.

I need to clean up some silicone sealant. I got most off withe a razor blade (being very careful) and a plastic scrapper, but still have a lot of residue. Any tip on what ti use that actually works and wont harm the siding? I have tried rubbing alcohol and WD40, but still have a fine residue left.

Thanks for any tips.
    Vinegar is one other item to try. You may need to leave the WD-40 on for a bit to soften the silicone.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Yoda. I recently used Mineral Spirits to remove RVFlex sealant. There was no (apparent) damage to the finish on the siding.

YMMV so test in a small area!
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda , I've read that some have had success using a paste made from flour and water, leaving it on the silicone for some time and then wiping away. However, I tried that and it just made a mess! Maybe try some isopropyl alcohol?
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Yoda Keith, unfortunately silicone is a great bonder to properly prepared surfaces. You might want to try Naptha or acetone but be aware these items are known to remove wax, grease, and decals. Also find a very very isolated inconspicuous spot to try before using on any surface.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Silicone can be carefully removed with a plastic razor-blade then silicone and wax remover purchased from an auto paint store can remove the remaining silicone to prep the surface for re-sealing.

Jim

Comment

Yoda (Keith),

I know this is an old thread, but I've never had much success with easily removing old silicone. Can you provide any perspective now that some time has passed since you started this thread?

I'm getting a variable heat gun (a Wagner Furno 700) and then will follow the directions on Wikihow assuming that's the best process.

The replacement sealant will be Tempro as recommended by Vivian ( Beachcamper ) in her post on the Silicone vs Marine caulk thread here.

If anyone else has an update on what they use or how they remove old silicone please chime in.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

First off, ‘silicone’ can be anything from caulk fortified with silicone, to pure RTV silicone rubber. The latter is resistant to solvents and typically has to be cut off. The former may just peel off or scrape off. From my experience, the stuff GD uses on the interior is the latter, is waxy and scrapes off relatively easily.
                Last edited by Rabbit; 02-15-2023, 09:37 AM.
                2022 3100RD
                2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Yoda (Keith),

I know this is an old thread, but I've never had much success with easily removing old silicone. Can you provide any perspective now that some time has passed since you started this thread?

I'm getting a variable heat gun (a Wagner Furno 700) and then will follow the directions on Wikihow assuming that's the best process.

The replacement sealant will be Tempro as recommended by Vivian ( Beachcamper ) in her post on the Silicone vs Marine caulk thread here.

If anyone else has an update on what they use or how they remove old silicone please chime in.

Howard
                  Except for the plastic razor blades, nothing really worked, including mineral spirits. Ill haft to try the heat gun. Acetone seemed to dull the fiberglass in my test area. It was just slow going and I still have more to do.
                  Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

howson

I would be really cautious about heating silicone caulking because this might drive the silicone deeper into the surface you are trying to remove it from. Scraping with a plastic razor blade is what I do to remove most of the caulking, but these blades wear out fast and you can only scrape a few inches per new blade edge. I have found WD-40 to be as effective as any of the “silicone solvents” at removing the last film.

Rob
                    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-15-2023, 12:14 PM.
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      howson

I would be really cautious about heating silicone caulking because this might drive the silicone deeper into the surface you are trying to remove it from. Scraping with a plastic razor blade is what I do to remove most of the caulking, but these blades wear out fast and you can only scrape a few inches per new blade edge. I have found WD-40 to be as effective as any of the “silicone solvents” at removing the last film.

Rib
                      I have those plastic razors as I remember your recommendation in a previous thread. Wish there was an easier answer than a whole lot of elbow grease and time.

Thanks for the reply, Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        howson

Rob
                        I found I could resharpen the plastic blades using 400 grit paper on a flat surface. Finer may be better, but the paper plugs quickly.
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I have those plastic razors as I remember your recommendation in a previous thread. Wish there was an easier answer than a whole lot of elbow grease and time.

Thanks for the reply, Yoda
                          howson I followed the advice on this video and used the mineral spirits as instructed, removed any loose or cracked silicone with a plastic razor blade cleaned again with mineral spirits and then applied the Tempro as in video. It went easier than I imagined a couple of years ago when I resealed entire RV. Since then I keep checking every three months and reapply using same technique. I did not need to remove all the original silicone just what was loose or cracked the Tempro adheres.

https://youtu.be/bSGWF7N01C0
                          Last edited by Beachcamper; 02-15-2023, 01:15 PM.
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                          X