Well it happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it happened

Caught a limb on the top left roof edge, several spots chattered and cut through roof rubber about 1.5 feet long. Only on the roll edge I can see some plastic underneath. I only had duct tabe had to quickly put it on as we had a storm come through about 30 min after I got to my spot. Question will I have to replace the roof or can I use Eternabond along the edge
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

I would try the Eternabond tape. Roll it on really well and maybe consider using some Dicor (Alpha brand) along the edges of the Eternabond tape. If that fails then consider a new roof. Good luck.
    John & Cindy
    2019 303 RLS
    2018 F250

Comment

I'd use Eternabond. It should hold well. It will prevent an insurance claim or the high cost of replacing it on your own dime. The only drawback would possibly be reduced trade in value. But if you're planning on keeping it, that's nullified.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Dennis66 - my father in law was backing his fifth wheel into his driveway and forgot about the old basketball net. He ended up cutting his roof open, sounding much similar to your situation. He just used Eternabond tape, with lap sealant on the edges. The repair looks great and is holding up well.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

When I ripped my roof on a limb I repaired it with Eternabond. and lots of sealant. 3 different spots about 4' in total. Never had another problem with it. When I traded it in the repair was not even mentioned.
          2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Rather than replace the roof, eternabond as mentioned, use self leveling sealer about 4 weeks after install to allow the tape to normalize, then roll with it. If that leaks or you decide to replace the roof, look at a silicone overlay vs TPO replacement. Might be a bit more expensive, but it will outlast the rest of the camper.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have a small patch on the edge of my slide where the seal keeps wiping away at the eternabond. I'll try to use a small amount of Alpha sealant on the edges to keep it flat. I never use the rear camera to back in but have the DW at the back of the rig while using our phones or walkie talkies for communication. A Ladder nailed my slide so there is always a way to cause damage in spite of our best efforts.

The camera IMO is only useful in passing or avoiding folks moving up the on ramp as I move back into the slow lane.

I also carry an extendable tree trimmer in the rig to help those keep their sites clear when they advertise that much larger rigs will fit there.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2021, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Here is a pic I need the forward driver or left gutter rail system also smashed in. From looking at the pic its on the side edge how hard is it to put that EternaBond along with dicor roof sealant non sag.
                Attached Files
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Do a search for wall repair and eternabond. I don't remember who did it, but someone had to have the wall on their camper replaced and already had taped the entire edge. he should be able to give insight on the install process of the tape.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                    Here is a pic I need the forward driver or left gutter rail system also smashed in. From looking at the pic its on the side edge how hard is it to put that EternaBond along with dicor roof sealant non sag.
                    Dennis,

You may wish to have this looked at through a facility capable of vulcanizing on a section of TPO. Places such as RV Roof Install can do this but I believe the closest location is in TN or GA. There may be other places that can do this. Also have them look at what looks like de-lamination in that section.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Do a search for wall repair and eternabond. I don't remember who did it, but someone had to have the wall on their camper replaced and already had taped the entire edge. he should be able to give insight on the install process of the tape.
                      I think you're referring to this thread, maybe?

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...ws-falling-off

I'll tag the OP milton1979 JIC
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

I just called my dealer when I get back Ill have them quote it. He said the roof part is a easy repair but he said more time is spent on pulling the old gutter off and cleaning and reinstalling a new section. Ill see what they say next week when I get back. In the mean time Ill just keep the duct tape on and apply new before I head home.
                        2021 Reflection 303RLS
                        Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Dennis,

You may wish to have this looked at through a facility capable of vulcanizing on a section of TPO. Places such as RV Roof Install can do this but I believe the closest location is in TN or GA. There may be other places that can do this. Also have them look at what looks like de-lamination in that section.

Jim
                          I'm trying to play 'spot the delamination' and I can't see it! Help me spot it Jim
                          2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

I'm trying to play 'spot the delamination' and I can't see it! Help me spot it Jim
                            On the side just below where the roof damage starts on the skylight end. That side looks wavy where it may just be the lighting.

Jim
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2021, 05:18 AM.

Comment

StephenO Yeah that's the post.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X