Corrugated Underbelly loose on one corner of XLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrugated Underbelly loose on one corner of XLS

We just purchased a used 22RBE XLS. Everything looks great in the final review, however when I got it home I noticed the the underbelly in this one corner is coming up. You can see in the picture that some of the material is ripped and even the hole where the screw should be. I pushed it back up underneath, hoping that would work, but after only 30 miles it came loose again. Wondering what the best way to fix this is. My initial thoughts are to drive new screws (with a washer) from underneath into the flooring and/or use gorilla glue. However, I'm concerned about damaging something or possibly creating a potential water leak (especially with new screws). Does anyone have suggestions on how to repair this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-11 16.15.32.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	65667
    Best Regards

Mike
    Attached Files
    Mike, Claire and Bode (our Golden)
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited
    image.png

mgsmithnj The coroplast is usually held in place with screw to keep the underbelly somewhat free of critters and to hide all of the electrical and plumbing of the camper. Using screws with washers to reattach is perfectly acceptable. You should be able to see where the missing / torn screw is or was located. Additionally you can add strips of Aluminum or steel strapping to help spread the load and hold up the coroplast across the front and to help keep the air from getting under the edge and creating the issue in the future.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

x2 on the advice from Joseph Jlawles2 Align the screw hole in the coroplast with the screw hole in the frame. If the screw is gone, install a new one with a large (fender) washer. If the screw is broken off, drill a new hole into the frame beside the old location. Gorilla glue is a bad idea because lowering this underbelly coroplast to get at what is inside is an expected service procedure.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

mgsmithnj I agree with the above replys to your questions. I would add that you consider sealing at least the front edges with enough silicone or other sealer to help keep out both the air while under way and
        road spray wen wet.

Dave
        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Thank you all. I bought a metal strip to use to hold the coroplast in place where it's stripped off the existing screws. I'm going to take a shot at fixing as advised next weekend.
          2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
          image.png

Comment

I have a couple of tears in the coroplast underbelly of my Imagine travel trailer. Each tear is about 6 inches. I put duct tape on them. It seemed to stick at first but came off in a day or two. Does anyone know how to repair a tear on the coroplast?

KC Campers
            Tow Vehicle: 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ
            Trailer: 2021 Imagine 2500 RL
            Overland Park, KS
            Gil & Melody
            2021 Chevrolet Silverado
            2021 Imagine 2500 RL

Comment

I have always used mobile home underbelly repair tape. I find it sticks well to mine, but we did hear several months ago that GD had gone to a new underbelly material and this did not work.

6" x 45' Mobile Home Flex Mend Belly Bottom Repair-Patch Underbelly Holes/Rips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT6RGTV...9DRF971M4NPKV9
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks Neil I am new to this forum. Should I contact Grand Design directly to determine if the tape you noted will work or if they suggest something different?
                Gil & Melody
                2021 Chevrolet Silverado
                2021 Imagine 2500 RL

Comment

Originally posted by KC Campers View Post
                  Thanks Neil I am new to this forum. Should I contact Grand Design directly to determine if the tape you noted will work or if they suggest something different?
                  Here is the thread where they discussed the "new" underbelly material. There were some pictures, but yours does not look like that, its looks like the old style like I have. Given that I would order a roll and try it.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-not-coroplast
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

KC Campers
                    Hi Gil & Melody,

I agree with Neil that the coroplast in your picture looks like the older “traditional” style and the recommended tape should work. The “new” underbelly coroplast has a reflective foil layer bonded to it.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I may have used this "channel" incorrectly. The photos are not mine. I just jumped on here as it was a similar topic. My underbelly looks like the photo however, at least on the bottom. The tears are not really long enough to see inside. It does not have a reflective layer on the bottom.
                      Gil & Melody
                      2021 Chevrolet Silverado
                      2021 Imagine 2500 RL

Comment

KC Campers Gil, you may or may not have the reflective surface. It's more of the under surface. On the newer Coroplast, the bottom side is not smooth, but a bit "fuzzy" which leads to adhesion issues with the tapes.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I talked to GD Customer Service today. They told me the "new" underbelly material that I have is called "Darko". A Google search seems to indicate the correct spelling is Darco. GD said to repair the tear with Darco Underbelly Tape which would be available through their parts department. They transferred me to parts and they did indeed have the tape but only in 180' rolls for $90 (ish). Since I only needed a couple of feet of tape at the most I tried Black Gorilla Waterproof tape. I applied the tape and took the trailer to storage. Next trip is in about a month. I'll let you know how the Gorilla tape holds up.
                          Gil & Melody
                          2021 Chevrolet Silverado
                          2021 Imagine 2500 RL

Comment

Black Gorilla Waterproof tape has been on for over a month now and seems to be sticking well to the Darco. A $12 fix compared to over $90 to get the tape from GD.
                            Gil & Melody
                            2021 Chevrolet Silverado
                            2021 Imagine 2500 RL

Comment

My fix has held up as well. I ended up using some metal strips along the edges to really hold it down, and then gorilla tape where there was some ripping. Of course, in the mean time I've found other issues that will need to be fixed soon, but at least the corrugated underbelly isn't coming up each time I pull it somewhere.
                              2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
                              image.png

Comment

Working...
                              X