Winter Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Storage

I have a question. I'm an RV newbie, my wife and I recently purchased a Reflection 5th wheel 303RLS. We are supposed to take delivery in a couple of weeks and in New England it's time to think about winter storage. We have plenty of acerage to keep the RV but it is not level. Will wintering an RV on un-level ground cause any harm to the RV?

Greg Clausen
    Hi Greg,

Welcome to our owners technical forum. (and particularly the Reflection 303RLS contingent) When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

"Winterizing" comes in two versions. Some just blow out the lines with air. Not being level could affect this since some water is left in the system. The other way (as used by the factory) is to winterize with plumbing antifreeze. This is a pressurized liquid process and not being level would have little affect on this.

But . . . I have to ask . . . why would you store the RV without levelling it? This is hard on slide mechanisms and even the suspension. It would not be difficult to block up the low side with wooden planks under the tires to store level.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The ground where I can store the RV is so far out of level (front to back of the RV) that the leveling system will not be able to level the RV.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Clausen View Post
        The ground where I can store the RV is so far out of level (front to back of the RV) that the leveling system will not be able to level the RV.
        Before auto levelling systems . . . Wooden blocking was used to level RVs. You can still do this. Put blocking under the tires if the back is low or under the front landing gear if the front is low.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Greg Clausen I second what Cate&Rob is saying. If you're putting the RV away for the winter season, which I have to assume lasts several months if you're already thinking of putting it away now, what's another 15 minutes (if that) to drive it up on blocks? If the storage area is so out of level that even blocks wouldn't be enough, I'd be tempted to look for another location TBH, since you'll need to keep the tires on chocks with pretty good pressure. To me, that just doesn't feel right.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

For hunting season I use the camper as a sleeping space at the lease. Luckily we have power but no water. The site where I setup is out of level so far front to back, that I cannot extend the front inner jack legs. I have the axles sitting on 6" concrete blocks and 3/4" rubber pads, and the rear leveling legs sitting on 1' of concrete blocks. When it's level, the front jacks are less than 1" extended.

This being said, where there is a will, there is a way. You may need to look into concrete blocks to help level the camper for long term setup / storage. Leaving the unit stored out of level for long term also bearings up the idea of water shedding.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X