No announcement yet.

Family Room Attachment for a Solitude?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Room Attachment for a Solitude?

Moderator note: moved post to it's own thread. Was originally here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...1-introduction

HI We just purchased a 2018 GD Solitude 379FLS.....Wow what a fantastic fifth wheel......but we do want to find a family room attachment....screen and canvas....recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by howson; 09-20-2021, 04:46 PM.

tkkiguy I do not have a full room enclosure, although I had seen on Youtube someone with the Lippert system that seemed nice. I have a awning extension that zips on and goes down to the ground, and leaves the sides open. I love it and use it anytime I am in a site for more than a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We purchased a large Gazelle pop-up room (sort of a clone to the “Clam”. Takes under a minute to set up and take down.Click image for larger version

Name:	512F2FE2-6C6B-45D3-8221-E6D4DE637F3F.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	66457
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

This is the same set-up that we use, right down to the truck. The only difference is the trailer (Reflection vs. Solitude). We love our Clam for anything over a one-night stay.
        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Thanks everyone for your ideas . Although we are selling our house and will be permanent in our solitude.

Comment

Some 55+ years ago I spent about 2 weeks with my family in my grandparent's travel trailer. They had a screen attachment for their awning and with four adults and three children we really needed the additional space. The grandparents also had canvas covers that could be zippered over the screens to make the walls solid and every afternoon about 1:00 the adults would put the canvas up in preparation for the 2:00 wind storm that would come through, then the canvas would come back down. The stated reason was to keep everything under the awning from getting dusty, but looking back the canvas probably did a lot to reduce uplift on the awning.

In the past 4 months we have seen two trailers that have lost their awnings to wind. One was in Grand Lake CO where the owner had tied down the roller end of the awning with straps to ground anchors, the wind ripped the awning off at the trailer. The second was in Cheyenne WY where the owner had gone off for the day and left the awning out (No idea why anyone would do this in Cheyenne WY) and the wind pulled one arm from the side of the trailer and then flipped the assembly about the remaining arm.

I personally would not count on being able to use a screened room attached to the awning year round. But if I had too I would definitely be looking for something that I could make the walls solid to block wind, rain, and snow, and reduce uplift on the awning. I don't remember my grandparents having anything but I would also be looking for some type of post or vertical support for the roller end of the awning to help with downward forces as well as uplift. And I would be taken a good hard look at beefing up the awning arm supports.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by tkkiguy View Post
              Thanks everyone for your ideas . Although we are selling our house and will be permanent in our solitude.
              John is exactly right. If it is going to be permanent fixed, and the space is needed I would look at some kind of fixed structure separate from the awning. They really are not meant for anything more than sun. I run the screen extension, but even that I always take down if I am not going to be around, or if the wind picks up. I would not trust any kind of permanent enclosure.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
              X