Electronic Door Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Door Locks

Have been looking at the electronic door locks for my Solitude 3740BH and searched for some information on the site but only found a few posts on the RV Lock that were a bit dated.
    Are there any recent posts on them to find & read?
    Anyone have recent information to share?
    Seems like a decent idea, but wondering if there is a downside besides the cost?
    Thank you!
    Chris
    Chris
    2019 Solitude 3740BH
    2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
    Have been looking at the electronic door locks for my Solitude 3740BH and searched for some information on the site but only found a few posts on the RV Lock that were a bit dated.
    Chris
    TheNescios Hey Chris. I installed RV Locks on my entry and baggage doors. Pretty happy with them. I did have to fiddle with the strike plate on the entry door (had to drill out a bit of the strike plate holes to allow it to move outwards a bit - but not really a big deal). On the baggage doors I went with the keyed latches (as opposed to electronic). It is nice to have them all keyed the same so one key works on all them and the entry door. I have seen reports of longer term deterioration of the electronic key pad cover (easily replaced apparently) - but I have not noticed this on mine (yet).

The baggage door installs were really easy - didn't even need to replace the back plate as the screw holes lined up perfectly. If you do order, make sure you measure the thickness of your baggage doors - there are two different sizes (IIRC - over 1 1/4" or under 1 1/4" - or might be 1 1/2" - can't remember exactly).

I will add that Changing Lanes posted a youtube on this a while back for their Momentum and he had issues with the baggage doors - so might be something to check on regarding the Solitude. I think some others on here have done the replacement on the Solitude and can offer more insight. As I say - worked just fine on my Reflection.

Bought mine during Black Friday sale in 2020 from RV Locks - 40% off. One caveat though - if you are in Canada be prepared for a hefty shipping charge. $99 US PLUS duty of $40 CAD... pretty much chewed up all of the Black Friday savings. Sigh.

Good luck with your search!
    Ken & Sandra
    2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

TheNescios I have the RVLock on my door and love it, I did not do my baggage doors though as my unit is not in a storage facility, so I never lock them. I had a "generic" electronic door lock on Amazon and the battery life was atrocious, barely two weeks. I gave that to my in laws and bought a RVLock. It goes six months on a battery sometimes longer. My in laws use the one I gave them, but it continues to have terrible battery issues, even with more expensive lithium AA batts and turning off the keyfob option.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I went with RVLock also. Wait for a sale, I saved like 30% on it.

We have yet to see a downside with it. No more searching for the key.
        John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
        2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
        ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
        2017 Jayco 26BH
        2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

Wound up going a little different direction - local locksmith had a nice set of all metal door locks with a key very similar to the one in my Chevy and while I wanted a bit more security, at $100 for both it was a lot nicer than $400 for the RV Lock ones.
          Besides, know me, I'd forget to to change the batteries and then where would I be?
          Chris
          2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

For those using the RVlocks, If you need to replace the number overlay because of deterioration, ask for the silicone replacement. You do have to remove the whole lock assembly to install but the new heavier keypad is worth it.

Comment

I purchased RVLock door and baggage digital locks. Went in fine on my Reflection. Door lock is tight, sometimes requiring an extra push to click. Thought about adjusting the strike plate, but prefer it tight and just use a little silicon spray if it gets too tight.

However, after a month or so, the door digital lock failed. No response whatsoever. RVLock immediately sent out a replacement backing (where the circuit board resides) and all is well again.

They are expensive. I didn't wait for a sale.
              John & Susan
              2019 Ford F-250 CCSB
              2022 Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

Originally posted by TheNescios View Post
                Wound up going a little different direction - local locksmith had a nice set of all metal door locks with a key very similar to the one in my Chevy and while I wanted a bit more security, at $100 for both it was a lot nicer than $400 for the RV Lock ones.
                Besides, know me, I'd forget to to change the batteries and then where would I be?
                You'd be using the key that came with it to unlock the door to change the batteries.
                John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
                2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
                ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
                2017 Jayco 26BH
                2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Comment

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone! Whether it's locks, tires, electrical or just about any topic, seems like there is a wealth of good information here.
                  If only they could fix our local Grand Design dealership to be even 1/2 as helpful?
                  Thank you everyone!
                  Chris
                  2019 Solitude 3740BH

Comment

Kathleen Carter -- created a thread of your own. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...h-our-solitude
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I don't have a Solitude, but wanted to share my notes as I just put the RV Lock brand on our Imagine 2910BH.

I went with the key less gen 4 for the two main entry doors.

I had two issues:

1) The short machine screws that holds the door striker to the lock mechanism were missing from one of the lock assembly parts bags. Minor, but still a trip to the hardware store. I have contacted RV Lock mainly to let them know and have not yet gotten a response yet.

2) The forward door into the bedroom just have the opening cut slightly larger than necessary. The teardrop shape of the rv lock left about a 0.030 inch gap where the door handle and weather protection pad did not cover the cutout into the door (sorry I didn't take a photo). I had expected this condition and from reading about it online, and due to the fact that it was so small and you could barely catch it with your fingernail, I just put a small bead of silicone along the top where the door handle meets the door. That more than covered the gap. On my rear door, I was able to shift the whole assembly up a touch to make sure the opening was well covered, however on the front door the striker plate covers the split in the door frame in such a fashion that the lower machine screw hole was nearly at the edge of the bottom section of the split, not allowing me to even open up the hole a fraction without breaking through. I decided to leave the door unmodified and just use silicone.

I also changed out my front slam latch baggage doors and the rear kitchen door camlock with the RV lock brand to have 1 key across everything. That plan did not work for all of my doors as the rear storage compartment slab is closer to 7/8 inch thick and rv lock only makes a camlock that goes up to 3/4 inch which I knew but figured I might be able to swap cores in the camlock and get luck, but I wasn't successful with the rear cargo door.. In the end I still have to solve that problem if I want to have 1 key for everything. Minor annoyance.

What I installed is noted below.
                      RVLock Mechanical Baggage Handle
                      My door slab is more than 3/4" thick
                      RVLock Key Latch
                      RVLock V4.0 Keyless Handle for RV Doors

Overall it was a good experience. I did find a sale and would likely do it again, but since then I have also learned about Bauer products which also have electronic locks AND an assortment of various length cam locks which would likely have allowed me to have 1 key to rule them all. If you truly want one key for everything, maybe look at another brand.

Edit (a few miles later): The front door seems to need adjustment, its likely due to swapping out the factory striker plate with the RVlocks brand striker plate which sits a little higher. I will swap this back to the factory plate and see if that solves the issue of the door getting stuck. Another note is that the RVlocks brand is deeper than the factory handle, and the magnetic door latch needed to be increased in height to keep the new RVlock door handle from hitting the side of the trailer. Bauer Products sell a magnetic latch that is the same shape and took the same mounting screws but about 0.500 inches in height taller, which gave enough clearance to the door handle to keep from hitting the side of the trailer.
                      Last edited by Sam_Frodo; 04-16-2023, 09:03 PM.
                      Doug, Cheryl, 2 Kids, 2 Dogs.
                      2023 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax (Sam)
                      2023 Imagine 2910BH (Frodo)

Comment

Working...
                      X