Roof cleaning product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof cleaning product

I was watching Chad on changing lanes and he uses simple green with a mix around 1 part to 10 parts, has anyone else used simple green for the roof?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Not used it. We use Dawn dish soap.

Jim

Comment

That is a very acceptable solution Dennis. I'm like Jim and use Dawn myself.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you read the user manual it says to use Murphys oil soap
        Bob & Beka Richards
        31MB Reflection - 2020
        Anderson Hitch
        ​​​​​​​F250 w/Godzilla and 10k tow package - 2022

Comment

My Imagine manual says to use a mild soap such as Top Job or Spic n Span.
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Count me in the Dawn Dish soap cleaning group. I put some in a Nalgene water bottle along with water to make a soap solution, and take that up onto the roof along with a car wash brush that has a ball valve built into the handle. Makes the job pretty easy.
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Yup, Dawn for me too. Dawn is a staple in the trailer like peanut butter and bug repellent. Haven't tried simple green. Careful though, any sudsy stuff is very slippery on TPO.

AZMike Yes, there is a disconnect of sorts here... my owner's manual recommends water & mild detergent for routine cleaning and Spic n' Span (or like) for sealant prep. However, the Alpha Systems cleaning procedure (in the resource library) recommends Murphy's...

Mike
              Mike & Sonya
              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
              Blue Ox SwayPro
              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                Yup, Dawn for me too. Dawn is a staple in the trailer like peanut butter and bug repellent. Haven't tried simple green. Careful though, any sudsy stuff is very slippery on TPO.
                Mike
                Bug repellent yes, peanut butter no. I'm allergic to peanuts, which sucks when camping as lots of people love to have nuts around a camp fire. I hate being that guy asking people to put them away. Fortunately though, I am not allergic to beer or rum!

Agreed on being careful when walking the roof while walking. Fortunately I haven't fallen off the roof when washing and being in my bare feet, but I've heard water shoes work well too
                2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

Fortunately though, I am not allergic to beer or rum!
                  I could easily forego the peanut butter...
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

How often do you guys clean the roof? On my my previous epdm roofed trailer, I never cleaned it in 15 years. To the best of my knowledge..never leaked.

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                    Bug repellent yes, peanut butter no. I'm allergic to peanuts, which sucks when camping as lots of people love to have nuts around a camp fire. I hate being that guy asking people to put them away.
                    If I was at the fire with you it would be a great reason to put away the nuts and break out the sausages!
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Well I can say cleaning the roof with the camco or thetford (don't remember which one or possibly both) product results in one giant slip and slide that I don't think you can ever get all the soap off of.

I've tried a couple of different types of shoes. So far the best thing I have found is SOCKS. I usually try to start at the front and work toward the ladder. No reason to be in the soap any more than needed.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        How often do you guys clean the roof? On my my previous epdm roofed trailer, I never cleaned it in 15 years. To the best of my knowledge..never leaked.

​​If I was at the fire with you it would be a great reason to put away the nuts and break out the sausages!
                        I clean ours once a year, in the Spring time before the camping season. I will do it before waxing the walls, as I read that dish soap will strip wax. Our roof actually has never that bad, but I figure I am up there anyways looking at seals, might as well give it a scrub and make it look nice. I also recall reading that getting the dirt off the roof helps prevent dirt streaks on the walls.

Sounds like we got a peanut free campfire starting, I like it Scott'n'Wendy and NoPeeking ​​​​​​​
                        2019 Imagine 2400BH

Comment

And for those black algae stains, using a paint brush to apply a thin layer of Gel Bleach will quickly remove those stains. Wash down the roof and sides with plenty of water to dilute the bleach to prevent staining of the wall decals.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
                            I was watching Chad on changing lanes and he uses simple green with a mix around 1 part to 10 parts, has anyone else used simple green for the roof?
                            Normally I'm a fan of what Chad does (and recommends) but after a quick review of that video's content (and the text on the related page on his website) I'm horrified he used Flex Seal on his roof. No, no, no! Do not use that product on your roof. Use the approved Alpha sealants and tapes. (Eternabond, in a pinch, is OK, too.)

Regarding cleaning the roof--the only reason I do it is so I can do a thorough inspection of the seals and sealant. Absolutely, positively, 100% (am I being emphatic enough?) it is critical to do a regular, thorough inspection. Water penetration can and will "kill" your RV and/or cause wall decontamination.

Case in point: during a recent visit to the GD Service Center the moderators saw a large, beautiful rig that hadn't been maintained properly by the owner. After a few years of neglect the water penetration caused mold to build up inside the wall. It was so bad a complete wall replacement was required. This was not a warranty issue--it was caused by the owner failing to maintain their camper. Big $$$ (GD isn't doing the wall replacement for free in this case).

Getting the roof completely "clean" is not required. Getting it clean enough so you can see if there's any cracks in the sealant is what's necessary. If you do find sealant issues fix it ASAP.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post

AZMike Yes, there is a disconnect of sorts here... my owner's manual recommends water & mild detergent for routine cleaning and Spic n' Span (or like) for sealant prep. However, the Alpha Systems cleaning procedure (in the resource library) recommends Murphy's...

Mike
                              Yes, there are disconnects. Basically, it looks any mild soap is OK to use, as manufacturers recommend different things. BTW, Dawn is a staple in our trailer also.
                              howson , Flex Seal on the roof? Really? Ouch! (you can probably tell I haven't seen that video)
                              Mike and (RIP Karen)
                              2021 2600RB
                              2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                              X