Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover or not cover camper for the winter

Hello everyone,
    I have been deciding whether to cover our 2020 Grand Design Reflection 297rsts. We are seasonal campers at a very nice campground. We leave the camper there for the winter. I have notice many people do not cover their campers. On the other hand the dealer said to absolutely cover it. The ones who do cover their campers are in the wooded section. We have a small tree with the leaves already gone. Some have said that covering keeps moisture in which is really bad. What are your feelings about this.
    Thank you,
    Dave and Nancy
    Grand Design Reflection 297rsts
    Horseheads, New York

We don't cover our trailer during winter storage, and it is stored in uncovered area. I do however wax it every spring to provide some form of UV protection, and over I think it still looks good, but I have found one or two decals with small cracks.

Where we live we do get the most hours of sunshine in Canada (from what I've read anyways) and that part made me think covering it would be worthwhile. BUT, we also get A LOT of wind, especially in the winter when the Pacific flow kicks in with that warm air! That alone made me not want to cover it as I didn't want the cover to keep hitting the trailer. I have gone out to our trailer in the winter, even on relatively calm wind days, and even the I can hear the covers flapping in the wind rubbing against other trailers.

From what I have read you for sure want a specific cover for RVs that are made of materials that can breath and allow moisture to escape. You don't want to cover with something like a blue tarp, that would hold moisture and lead to mold or mildew.
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by Dave/Nancy View Post
      Hello everyone,
      I have been deciding whether to cover our 2020 Grand Design Reflection 297rsts. We are seasonal campers at a very nice campground. We leave the camper there for the winter. I have notice many people do not cover their campers. On the other hand the dealer said to absolutely cover it. The ones who do cover their campers are in the wooded section. We have a small tree with the leaves already gone. Some have said that covering keeps moisture in which is really bad. What are your feelings about this.
      Thank you,
      Dave and Nancy
      Grand Design Reflection 297rsts
      Horseheads, New York
      I also have a 297RSTS and have covered it for the past 2 Michigan winters and plan to do it again. The owners manual says cover with a breathable cover so I went with the one below which fits perfectly. It has plenty of straps which go across under the trailer and we have had some serious winds and the cover has not budged. There is enough on mine to use the elastic front to go over the tongue as well.

Here is a link to the "upgraded" version by the same manufacturer as mine. If the upgraded version is as good or better than the one I have I can recommend it.

Just one thing to note that I just noticed. Mine (non-upgraded version) specifically said breathable in the description. This upgraded doesn't. So I'd research a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/RVMasking-Upg...omotive&sr=1-4

Terry
      Last edited by trkester; 10-10-2021, 03:21 PM.
      Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
      2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
      2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

No Cover. Waste of money. Everybody I know that has used a cover has damage from it.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
        X