Transcend rear bumper weight rating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend rear bumper weight rating?

As the title says, can I find out definitively how much weight the rear bumper of my Transcend 221RB will hold? I want to mount two regular bicycles and the rear bumper seems to be the only available space I have. Thanks.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Bill

If you look closely at the rear bumper you will see that it is not very heavy duty. Thin wall and lightly welded to the end of the frame rails. Although some attach a bike rack to these bumpers others have learned that the bouncing of the bikes will actually rip the bumper material where it is welded to the frame and fall off. I have seen this on the road before. There are brackets that attach to the frame and the bumper which may be a better choice. The best one that I have seen is the mount that attaches to the front a-frame and extends above the propane cylinders. Sorry , I have not seen an actual weight rating for the rear bumper.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian, thanks for the info. I have seen the Lippert option you speak of and really don't want to be lifting the bikes up that high.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
        Brian, thanks for the info. I have seen the Lippert option you speak of and really don't want to be lifting the bikes up that high.
        Brian is right, the bumpers aren't made to support any weight. Either the one he mentioned or a rack over the tonneau (also high up). The other option I see is on the front of the truck. If you want something that's probably safe but "unsupported" I've seen some that have a hitch welded to the frame for using a bike rack on the back. You'd be on your own there.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

BillinTexas Bill they make a reinforcement bracket for those that wish to do as you are trying. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...BoC4vsQAvD_BwE
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 Joseph, thank you for the link. I will investigate this further.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

A receiver bolted to the trailer frame is another option. Any additions or modifications to the trailer frame can put your warranty at risk where some are ok with that. The motion at the back of a rig is violent many times so a bike rack approved for travel trailers would also be needed. My Thule for instance is not approved for this application.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SABEgLS0PD_BwE

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Guest , Jim, thank you for the link. Someone else had suggested this same item. Funny, we should have bought folding bikes and this wouldn't be an issue. I have purchased a couple of nice furniture blankets to put over them while in the pickup bed for the time being.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas

Hi Bill,
                  The bumper tube is only 1/16" (or less) wall thickness. A hitch receiver attaching to the trailer frame would be a better idea. See this related thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...mper-bike-rack

​​​​​​​Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have come to the realization that we should have looked into folding bikes. We can get ours in the bed of the truck but at an angle because of my toolbox which is very small, not much up and down depth nor into the bed depth. I ordered some furniture blankets to help minimize any damage to them or the other cargo. It really would be less outlay to go ahead and purchase folding bikes.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                      Guest , Jim, thank you for the link. Someone else had suggested this same item. Funny, we should have bought folding bikes and this wouldn't be an issue. I have purchased a couple of nice furniture blankets to put over them while in the pickup bed for the time being.
                      Bill,

I do the same. I lay down the under awning mat under the first bike and then a moving blanket under the second on top. With the front wheels off they lay reasonably flat. Not ideal but I know they will still be there when we arrive.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X