Gutter and Sidewall Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutter and Sidewall Damage

Had a little run in with an ATM overhang. Gutter, a little roof and sidewall damage that will require body work. Is this something the dealer technicians can handle? I already have the insurance money on the way. Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    Brian at OutdoorExplorerUSA, 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE, 2017 Nissan Titan 4WD SL Crew Cab

Originally posted by OutdoorExplorerUSA View Post
    Had a little run in with an ATM overhang. Gutter, a little roof and sidewall damage that will require body work. Is this something the dealer technicians can handle? I already have the insurance money on the way. Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    That will be a question for your dealer. If you are confident in their work or they are confident in what they can do then let them do it. Inspect it thoroughly after it is done no matter who does it and make sure that you are satisfied. If your dealer is no goo at this type of work then you will have to find another dealer or a RV service center that does this type of work, independently owned service centers might do the best work as they are not selling RV's.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorExplorerUSA View Post
      When I had a couple hairline cracks in the gel coat, we took it to our dealer to do the work. I took it to them since Grand Design was covering it for us. Anyways, in the end, the techs at the dealership didn't do they work, they just subcontracted to a local fiberglass repair place. Food for thought.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will discuss it with the service manager to get a feel for his confidence level.
        Brian at OutdoorExplorerUSA, 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 17MKE, 2017 Nissan Titan 4WD SL Crew Cab

Comment

I know this is a long shot. I have called and emailed multiple RV service centers in my area (Pittsburgh, PA). No return calls. I purchased the RV at the Hershey RV show through Myers in Harrisburg. I have not called them yet because it is a decent drive. Myers has a Pittsburgh location and they have not responded to multiple calls which is disappointing.

Anybody in the Pittsburgh area know a reputable service center? Thanks.

Comment

I think some more patience will be needed. This is the "winterization season" and all dealers will be booked solid.

Have you tried an autobody shop?

I am north of you but have not had a need for any type of repair like what you have.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Country Campers for the reply. I realize the shortage of workers and time of year are a factor. I actually just want the work scheduled, no hurry to complete it. My frustration is that not one dealership has return my emails and calls. All they have to do is call me back and schedule service. I don’t care if it is a month out.
              It is very poor customer service.
              I have considered an auto body shop but that will be last resort. I emailed Grand Design twice asking for assistance, I did finally receive an email from a regional service manager. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Comment

OutdoorExplorerUSA Brian, Unfortunately getting in touch with a service department willing to do service is hard. Good ones are booked. Finding a service department willing to do body work is even harder. You may find that with fiberglass sidewalls that your options for repair are even more limited. You may try a boat repair shop as they work on fiberglass more than most other types of repair shops.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Update:

Finally got into Myers RV service. We bought from Myers. I did call everyone and anyone that could do repairs. Boat repair shops, different RV shops, commercial vehicle repair shops. I only had two responses and they came in at the same time. I chose Myers because we bought from them and they service Grand Design.
                  The Service Manager started talking about removing the entire side wall for the scratches (one is all the way through the fiberglass but not any further). I told him no way. If he can't repair the fiberglass, I will take it elsewhere. Removing the entire sidewall is like pulling a tooth just because it has a cavity.
                  Waiting for the time frame and estimate. I will post an update when I have one.

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE OVERHANGS! :-)

Comment

Removing the side wall would be best done at the factory. It does not sound like the damage warrants that trip. I just cannot believe that there is no one around that will do this repair.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                    X