remove trim to replace breakaway switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove trim to replace breakaway switch

My breakaway switch isn't working, so I am in the process of replacing it. (picture 1) How do I remove the trim to pull back the exterior vinyl (or whatever it is)? There is a outer trim piece, I'm not sure how it is held on. (Picture 2) Below it I can see a screw that holds the vinyl in place. It looks like I need to remove the outer trim, then remove the screws holding the vinyl, so I can pull back the vinyl to follow the breakaway switch wire.

It may be a good thing I'm doing this, as I was poking around with a putty knife to detach the vinyl, water came out near the right corner. How would water get in there? I have the bottom sealed well enough that it can't get out. (picture 3)

I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks, Dave
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakaway1.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	68398Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway2.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	68399Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway3.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	68400
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

I changed mine a couple of years ago and don’t recall any disassembly. It was very much not a memorable job, so I can’t be sure, but maybe I found the wires in the junction box.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
      My breakaway switch isn't working, so I am in the process of replacing it. (picture 1) How do I remove the trim to pull back the exterior vinyl (or whatever it is)? There is a outer trim piece, I'm not sure how it is held on. (Picture 2) Below it I can see a screw that holds the vinyl in place. It looks like I need to remove the outer trim, then remove the screws holding the vinyl, so I can pull back the vinyl to follow the breakaway switch wire.

It may be a good thing I'm doing this, as I was poking around with a putty knife to detach the vinyl, water came out near the right corner. How would water get in there? I have the bottom sealed well enough that it can't get out. (picture 3)

I would appreciate any suggestions.
      Thanks, Dave

Name:	Breakaway1.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	68398Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway2.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	68399Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway3.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	68400
      You should not need to remove the trim. Wires run back to the junction box at back of king pin. Disconnect at the junction box and tie a wire or rope to the end and pull forward to the bad switch, then reverse and tie new wiring to wire of cord and pull back. to junction box. Water can be from condensation or spray working up around the king pin when traveling. Otherwise check the seam where the caps meets the roof.

Hope this helps
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

You should not need to remove the trim. Wires run back to the junction box at back of king pin. Disconnect at the junction box and tie a wire or rope to the end and pull forward to the bad switch, then reverse and tie new wiring to wire of cord and pull back. to junction box. Water can be from condensation or spray working up around the king pin when traveling. Otherwise check the seam where the caps meets the roof.

Hope this helps
        I don't see those wires coming into the junction box. Is there anyplace else they could be?

Name:	Junction box.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	68414
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post

I don't see those wires coming into the junction box. Is there anyplace else they could be?
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Junction box.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.3 KB ID:	68414
          One should tie to the blue break wire, I see two connections on the trailer side in you picture. On should be from the switch. The other would be tied to power so when switch closes it provides power to brakes. The only other place to check is the power buss bar in your front compartment. wiring runs along the side of the front bay to get to the kingpin area.The break away power source is always hot, so it could be tied in there.

BTW that is not a stock junction box - did yo install it, or are you the second owner? Also have you check the wires at the bad switch to see if one is hot? Switch might not be bad, just disconnected.

Another place to look. In you first picture the wires run up the side of the kingpin box. Look inside the box and see if they were fished in through an unused bolt hole. If I get a chance Ill check out how the run on my trailer.

On edit - I believe the black wire (center) in the photo is the power to the break away switch. This is a picture of my power buss bar

Name:	IMG_0647s.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	68420
          It ducts into the forward harness, so it should show up by the king pin somewhere. You may need to unwrap the wire bundle on the trailer side of the junction box.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by Yoda; 10-19-2021, 05:26 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Dave27

Just cut it near the old one, let about 6" or 8" and splice the new one in with water tight heat shrink butt connectors. The wire from this switch runs back to the breakers as Keith has noted above, not worth the effort to pull the old wires out just to pull new ones in, the splice will be fine.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

One should tie to the blue break wire, I see two connections on the trailer side in you picture. On should be from the switch. The other would be tied to power so when switch closes it provides power to brakes. The only other place to check is the power buss bar in your front compartment. wiring runs along the side of the front bay to get to the kingpin area.The break away power source is always hot, so it could be tied in there.

BTW that is not a stock junction box - did yo install it, or are you the second owner? Also have you check the wires at the bad switch to see if one is hot? Switch might not be bad, just disconnected.

Another place to look. In you first picture the wires run up the side of the kingpin box. Look inside the box and see if they were fished in through an unused bolt hole. If I get a chance Ill check out how the run on my trailer..
              I put in the junction box, followed what TucsonJim did. I haven't checked which one is hot. Would you have to push the volt meter's pointed probe through the wire cover and ground the other one on the frame? I've always been leery of poking holes in electric wires. The wires do not come into the kingpin box in any visible place.
              thanks, Dave
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Dave27

Just cut it near the old one, let about 6" or 8" and splice the new one in with water tight heat shrink butt connectors. The wire from this switch runs back to the breakers as Keith has noted above, not worth the effort to pull the old wires out just to pull new ones in, the splice will be fine.

Brian
                I second this. We discovered mine was not working at the national rally when my disc brakes were installed. I swapped it out, just spliced with heat shrink butt splices and pushed them up under the panel.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Dave27

Brian
                  This sounds like the simplest. Thank you everyone for your help.
                  Dave
                  2016 Reflection 27RL
                  2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                  B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

When I installed the new junction box on my 337 there was a black wire connection inside the box for the power going to the switch.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Dave27
                      Hi Dave,

I am late in catching up to this thread . . .
                      Both black wires from the break-away switch should go into the pinbox connection box.
                      One will connect to the main 12V connection between the umbilical cord and the trailer battery (pin 4 on the cord and connected to a usually white with blue stripe on the trailer side) and the other will connect to the trailer brake feed (pin 2 on the cord and usually a blue wire).

Should be easy to pull the new switch wires through to the connection box by taping them (securely) to the wires from the old switch. If the wires are caught somewhere, I would use the cut and splice suggestions referenced earlier. Just a thought . . . do you know that the switch is bad? Could it be a disconnected or pinched and broken wire?

Rob
                      Attached Files
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        Dave27
                        Hi Dave,

Both black wires from the break-away switch should go into the pinbox connection box.
                        One will connect to the main 12V connection between the umbilical cord and the trailer battery (pin 4 on the cord and connected to a usually white with blue stripe on the trailer side) and the other will connect to the trailer brake feed (pin 2 on the cord and usually a blue wire).

Should be easy to pull the new switch wires through to the connection box by taping them (securely) to the wires from the old switch. If the wires are caught somewhere, I would use the cut and splice suggestions referenced earlier. Just a thought . . . do you know that the switch is bad? Could it be a disconnected or pinched and broken wire?

Rob
                        I don't know for sure the switch is bad, that is one of the reasons I wanted to follow the wires. I will check to see if there is power in one of the wires before I start anything else. But it could be a ground too.
                        2016 Reflection 27RL
                        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

The brake system is grounded in the same way whether power comes from the truck brake apply or the break away switch. If normal braking works correctly, the ground side is intact. The break away apply bypasses the truck apply and connects the trailer battery 12V to the trailer brakes (blue wire). One wire to the break away switch should be trailer battery 12V. The other wire will be a “ground” through the brake electro magnets, so will have some resistance if measured to chassis ground with an ohm meter.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                            Dave27
                            Hi Dave,

Rob
                            If I recall correctly my 337RLS was wired differently. I tried to find a picture but came up empty. I agree that the way you describe is correct but my recollection was that it wasnt exactly the way it was wired from GD.
                            Last edited by familytruckster4; 10-22-2021, 08:53 AM.
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

The wires on our Reflection for the break away switch does not go into the box with the rest of the 7 RV plug wires, mine goes directly to the self resetting breakers and then to the brakes.

Brian

Edit: The wires for the switch are 12 v +, one has battery power the other goes directly to the brakes. One is not a ground wire, this switch is just a pass through for the 12 v + to get to the brakes and engage them when the pin is pulled from the emergency break away switch.
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X