Slide construction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide construction question

I was wondering how the bottom of the slides are constructed. Specifically, what is the black fabric material and is it applied directly over the wood floor or is there some form of moisture barrier between the fabric and the wood?
    The reason I ask is that I have recently noticed some discoloration happening along the edges from moisture. Is this just staining of the fabric or is this a sign of something more serious?
    I have been keeping an eye on the seals and caulking and haven't noticed any changes recently so wondering what is causing this.
    -Rob-

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6164.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	69207
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

That material is a moisture barrier that is to help mitigate moisture penetration to the sub-floor. Those stains look typical from rain run off (or from washing) that has dripped around the edge of the slide.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hard to say without more pics but I would be looking hard at the caulking on that corner. The witness marks look like it may be coming from behind the corner piece or that horizontal trim at the bottom. Either way I think I would be pulling some screws and looking for rust. I have had several issues with GD and others where the screws were allowing moisture to be wicked in and the trim leaking. depending on the source it may be affecting the wood floor of the slide. It definitely needs some investigation to avoid a bigger issue.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I had same issue and it is because water has affected that area and when it dries, those stains remain. I made sure I had good sealant around tracks, any windows in the box and even removed screws and sealed the holes before replacing. But nothing prevented the water after a storm from soaking that area. Here is a link to a post I made at the beginning of trying to figure it out.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lide-underside

After a season, it became obvious that my issue was the end of the track had silicone and so did the weep hole. When a forum member posted how his track was installed (post 8-9), I then removed silicone from where track meets wall and also cleaned out the weep hole. No more water stains bottom even in torrential rains. Maybe see if this is one reason for your water stains.
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
          I had same issue and it is because water has affected that area and when it dries, those stains remain. I made sure I had good sealant around tracks, any windows in the box and even removed screws and sealed the holes before replacing. But nothing prevented the water after a storm from soaking that area. Here is a link to a post I made at the beginning of trying to figure it out.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lide-underside

After a season, it became obvious that my issue was the end of the track had silicone and so did the weep hole. When a forum member posted how his track was installed (post 8-9), I then removed silicone from where track meets wall and also cleaned out the weep hole. No more water stains bottom even in torrential rains. Maybe see if this is one reason for your water stains.
          Thanks for the link Beachcamper . I will check mine out in more detail later but I can tell you that I don't have the silicon coating the outer ends of the track. Whether the weep holes are present and clear or if I have the foam plugs will have to wait a bit.
          One thing that would certainly help is a small drip edge at the bottom edge of the slide under the tracks as well. If done properly, that would prevent water from running under the bottom corner and wicking over to the bottom sheeting. I will have to look into something there as well.
          Stay tuned
          -Rob-
          -
          Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
          2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
          2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
          Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post

Thanks for the link Beachcamper . I will check mine out in more detail later but I can tell you that I don't have the silicon coating the outer ends of the track. Whether the weep holes are present and clear or if I have the foam plugs will have to wait a bit.
            One thing that would certainly help is a small drip edge at the bottom edge of the slide under the tracks as well. If done properly, that would prevent water from running under the bottom corner and wicking over to the bottom sheeting. I will have to look into something there as well.
            Stay tuned
            -Rob-
            I tried creating a drip edge/dam with a strip of duct tape and it was even worse. It’s as if water collects in the gear teeth and seeps under rail if it has no where to go. Seeing the picture of Superduty’s rail in that post was the answer to my problem.

Just now camping in Alabama where it has been raining for a few days and high winds the first night. Bottom of slide is nice and dry.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

I've read this thread, and the other thread (https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lide-underside) more times than I want to admit, and I keep wondering to myself, why do I not have this issue? Why do I not get water seeping across the bottom exterior of the slide? I know for a fact that I have the sealant applied to the end of the rail, since I recently re-did that area, so it shouldn't be that. They should all be built in the same way, but as the other thread points out that's not quite the story. I don't have any drip rails on the lower lip of the bottom gear rail, so nothing there.

So I started looking at the pictures in the other thread, along with some mad Googling, and looking really close at the photo Beachcamper posted, I think I may have found out what is going on. I really emphasize think, since I am by far an expert in these matters, so if you think I am crazy please tell me, my feelings won't be hurt . Anyways, again looking closely as this photo from Beachcamper posted here https://gdrvowners.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=33021, I can see that the L-trim for the vertical part of the slide (the trim that contacts the vertical bulb seal), has the inside part of the L, which is making contact with the fiberglass, end right under the rail. Whereas on my trailer, that part of the L-trim extends behind the gear rail, and down below the bottom the slide. Which in theory would divert any water any from the floor that happens to drip down from the gear rail. I don't have any pictures handy of my slide, but I did find some when I was doing my searching, I just don't feel comfortable posting them since they are not mine. However, I tried to highlight what I mean by adding to Beachcamper photo, hopefully that's okay! The red highlights where that trim extends further down. I know the photo is cheesy, again my feelings won't be hurt if you laugh!

So it makes me wonder, on units where the slide floor is 'even' with the trailer floor, do they have this extended trim that can shield that area from water, since it can be stowed under the trailer floor when the slide is closed. Whereas if your slide floor is higher up, say the upper part of a fifth-wheel, they have to cut it otherwise it would be crushed when the slide closes. Is that extra trim that key to all this?
              Last edited by StephenO; 10-30-2021, 09:33 PM.
              2019 Imagine 2400BH
              2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Working...
              X