Basement (passthru) storage slam-latch failed in locked position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement (passthru) storage slam-latch failed in locked position

The slam-latch on our curbside basement storage compartment door has failed with the door closed and locked. I can't open it.

Did a search, and all the relevant threads suggest that the slam latches are not secure and easy to pry open. Not mine.

The failure seems to be that the lever that actuates the latch has loosened or broken. I can pull the lever up (no resistance), but the latch stays secured behind the locking plate.

Here's my plan to release the lock: empty the basement passthru storage from opposite side, crawl in, and apply penetrating oil. If the oil doesn't unfreeze the lock, I'll try to use tools to remove the lock from the inside.

Does anyone have better suggestions?

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

steve&renee Steve, you are saying that the spring loaded latch cannot be lifted with a sharp pointed object? You may try it on the working latch to figure it out, but I put a pocket knife tip at the trim ring on the camper side, pushing in slightly and then down (away from the door) will provide lift on the actual latch. If I need to reset the knife, I either pull out on the door, or use a second object to hold the latch and repeat. Once it's up and clear, shove a credit card or similar object under it to keep it up while you manipulate the other handle.

If this does not work, you will need to remove the inner cover on the handle, the from the outside, the entire system should pull up and out (i think, never pulled one apart).
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      steve&renee... I put a pocket knife tip at the trim ring on the camper side, pushing in slightly and then down (away from the door) will provide lift on the actual latch. If I need to reset the knife, I either pull out on the door, or use a second object to hold the latch and repeat. Once it's up and clear, shove a credit card or similar object under it to keep it up while you manipulate the other handle.
      This is my latch. Your procedure doesn't seem to apply to my latch -- or I'm just not that mechanical

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211118_093512.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	70386

Name:	20211118_093523.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	70387

Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
        The slam-latch on our curbside basement storage compartment door has failed with the door closed and locked. I can't open it.

Did a search, and all the relevant threads suggest that the slam latches are not secure and easy to pry open. Not mine.

The failure seems to be that the lever that actuates the latch has loosened or broken. I can pull the lever up (no resistance), but the latch stays secured behind the locking plate.

Here's my plan to release the lock: empty the basement passthru storage from opposite side, crawl in, and apply penetrating oil. If the oil doesn't unfreeze the lock, I'll try to use tools to remove the lock from the inside.

Does anyone have better suggestions?

-Steve
        Steve,

I would remove it from the inside as you suggested. Then buy a new replacement since the mechanism is most likely broken.

Jim

Comment

Hi Steve,

Once you get to the inside (through the pass through) There should be easily accessible screws to release the outside latch assembly. Then you can decide whether it is fixable or needs to be replaced.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'll bet a buck its a broken bellcrank or a dropped rod if the two latches are interconnected. A loose handle with a locked slide gives it away.

Jim

Comment

steve&renee Steve, Not able to tell from the picture and not familiar with all of the types of latches, but here is a shot of what I described.

Name:	Latch.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	70398

I can open the latch just as fast with a pocket knife vs unlocking it with the key.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                Hi Steve,

Once you get to the inside (through the pass through) There should be easily accessible screws to release the outside latch assembly. Then you can decide whether it is fixable or needs to be replaced.

Rob
                Just as you said -- Phillips screws inside:

Name:	20211120_091836.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	70531

Popped unit out:

Name:	20211120_092517.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	70532

Discovered a failed latch actuator. Looks like I need to replace the whole unit. I did a "Parts Lookup" for my 2018 310GK, and it's an LCI Slam-Latch, but the listed part doesn't quite match mine -- and costs $65.95 plus shipping from Lippert, and doesn't come with keys. I guess I'll just insulate the latch-hole while I look for a cheaper work-around latch -- or latches to make a matched pair.

Thanks for the advice.

-Steve
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Steve,

No surprise but a replacement unit without a key is really odd. Keyless latches are nice but pricey.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I guess I'll just insulate the latch-hole while I look for a cheaper work-around latch -- or latches to make a matched pair.
                    Decided what to do: The good latch keeps the compartment door securely closed, and I'm not worried about theft or other uninvited access, so I'll just remove the latch bolt from the failed latch mechanism and re-assemble it in an inoperable state. It will look cosmetically correct and match the working latch, and I'll save some dough.

Case closed.

-Steve
                    Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee amp;
                      Hi Steve,

Just catching up to this discussion and agree that your plan is a workable solution. Have you tried contacting RV Locks https://www.rvlocksandmore.com for a replacement assembly or perhaps for parts for the one you have?

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        steve&renee amp;
                        Hi Steve,

Just catching up to this discussion and agree that your plan is a workable solution. Have you tried contacting RV Locks https://www.rvlocksandmore.com for a replacement assembly or perhaps for parts for the one you have?

Rob
                        Didn't talk to them, but I looked around their website (thanks to Second Chance 's posts on another forum). Their prices are maybe half of Lippert's, but I'm OK with taking the path of least resistance and least expenditure on this one.

-Steve
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
                        X